Topic: CC latte problems

I just received a CC Latte complete with bag, charms, booklet, unit and power source. It looks like it is in wonderful shape.
Booted up and north-south colored lines for a few seconds before booting to bubbles and then to blue octy. Asks for date and time. Seems to connect with internet (I have put in info for my wifi network). Goes to Clock and it is the wrong time. 7:11pm 12/31/1969. I try to change the date and time manually and it won't change the clock. Click set by internet and no different. Touch volume is a little clumsy and inaccurate. Looks like it is turned completely down but sound comes out. Try to adjust volume and it springs back to zero. I haven't got Pandora to make a noise yet. It went to advertisement and stayed for a while. iHeart seems to work fine but volume control is erractic. Noticed it has FW 1.05. I think that may be a problem. I also suspect that there is power supply problem or starting to be one (lines on bootup). It is a cool unit but I need to get the bugs out of it or something. Any suggestions after I update the firmware? At settings for volume it says something about touch screen. What does that do?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: CC latte problems

Is the power supply a stock supply?  If not, I'd suggest replacing it; I believe the CC is internally-regulated, so it can take a wide range of input voltages... however, if the internal regulation is crapping out you might have a bigger problem on your hands unless you're handy with a soldering iron.

Can you take a picture of the north-south lines you're talking about?  That might help Duane and/or others troubleshoot exactly what's going on.

As for firmware, I'm a bit fuzzy on the differences between CC & C1, but might it be possible for you to upgrade the firmware via USB?  That may help some of your issues as well; someone else here who has more experience with a CC could probably be of more assistance in this regard.

The "north/south" lines are pretty typical of the backlight powering up before the display is initialized - it doesn't mean anything's wrong.

You can update the firmware over USB - instructions are here.

It's possible that the version of firmware in the device uses a time server that no longer exists.

The volume control issue might be, at least in part, a touchscreen issue. First, switch the device off and clean the screen very gently with a soft damp cloth (no alcohol, no cleaning products). A dirty screen has a noticeable effect on the Chumby's touchscreen performance. Then switch it back on and go to 'Touchscreen' from the Control Panel and follow the calibration procedure.
The Chumby Classic touchscreen is inherently somewhat clumsy and inaccurate and the slider controls do jump around a bit. It is not at all like the touchscreens on new smartphones, and it is as well to bear this in mind.
I think that it is possible that normal variations in component tolerance produce the effect you describe where the volume is right down but there is still sound - the onscreen slider just doesn't match up exactly with the range of the internal component. A similar problem (but in reverse) has been described by many people with the brightness control - the condition of 'zero brightness' occurs before the slider has completely reached the left hand side.
As for your clock issue, the not changing the time manually problem might be a touchscreen thing, might not. As for the other time problem, of my two Classics, one will set its time off the internet straight away; whilst the other takes up to 20 minutes or so before it catches up.

Firmware update to 1.73 made a HUGE difference! Most issues were solved. Touchscreen is quite different from my other I3.5s. I do not believe the power supply is a problem at all now. CC boots up perfectly. The twin speakers are an improvement over the BB units although the BB units sound good to me too. Very pleased with this unit. I plugged in a 9volt battery and now I can carry it around. What's the story on the battery? Will it last very long and does it harm anything to just keep the battery plugged in as a back up?

One more question--What does "Click on screen touch" in the volume settings mean? It doesn't seem to do anything.

I miss the incrimental brightness settings of the newer models especially the night setting. I can hardly see the clock when initially put it into night mode. Other than that I do like owning a CC latte.

My wife may suspect I need therapy with this 5th addition to my chumby collection. Chumby Anon. "I am a chumaholic. I am helpless to stop buying these things..."

6 (edited by nathanm 2013-03-28 16:50:19)

demarks51 wrote:

Firmware update to 1.73 made a HUGE difference! Most issues were solved. Touchscreen is quite different from my other I3.5s. I do not believe the power supply is a problem at all now. CC boots up perfectly. The twin speakers are an improvement over the BB units although the BB units sound good to me too. Very pleased with this unit. I plugged in a 9volt battery and now I can carry it around. What's the story on the battery? Will it last very long and does it harm anything to just keep the battery plugged in as a back up?

One more question--What does "Click on screen touch" in the volume settings mean? It doesn't seem to do anything.

I miss the incrimental brightness settings of the newer models especially the night setting. I can hardly see the clock when initially put it into night mode. Other than that I do like owning a CC latte.

My wife may suspect I need therapy with this 5th addition to my chumby collection. Chumby Anon. "I am a chumaholic. I am helpless to stop buying these things..."

Click on screen touch means that it makes a noise when you touch the screen. From the forum, the general consensus is that the battery lasts about a half hour to a full hour, and is mainly for power glitches. It doesn't harm anything to keep it plugged in. I hope this Chumby newbie answered your questions!

P.S: If you need your Chumbys taken away for a better place, I'll take them for "safekeeping" from your "addiction".

Thanks for the help. I am going to try to cope with the 5. I feel like I own some history with this last aquisition. The CC is enough different from the others to make it interesting. It does not have FM radio (but has iPod) which I didn't think was very important to have with the other units. If I wanted to listen to FM I have plenty of options for that. Now if it could pick up HD AM and FM that would be cool. I didn't think the quality of the FM reception was all that good to begin with as is.

BTW How does the iPod music work. Is it a wireless connection? Does it just work with iPod? Is it bluetooth capable?

iPod Music only works for older iPod that mount as file systems (not iPod touch, etc).  It tries to read the iTunes database and present a UI to choose playlists.  The code hasn't been rev'd in a while so it may not work except for old stuff.

If someone wants to update the code, it's in the source repo - libipod and chumbipodd.

Thanks. This has been a great day of exploration into the Chumby Classic. My little beanbag pal is working great.

demarks51 wrote:

BTW How does the iPod music work. Is it a wireless connection? Does it just work with iPod? Is it bluetooth capable?

Oh yeah... I'd forgotten it even did that. I used to use this feature because it was an easier way to get the iPod plugged in to the stereo, since the Chumby was permanently connected.
No, it's not wireless and it's certainly not bluetooth. You needed a cable - I can't remember now, but I suppose it was the standard iPod/USB cable that came with the iPod.

Another question about my CC latte: Is it normal for it to have a fever? The screen seems to be warm to the touch but doesn't seem to increase in heat over time. Also one time the CC screeched and went off. I rebooted and it has not done that again. I suspect the power supply is the culprit. I may look into having a back up just in case this one is going out. Any ideas?

Don't know about the screech, but the Classics' screens do get quite hot.

My I3.5's screen definitely gets warm, as well as the speaker. However, it's not like the face of the sun or anything, and the plastic Chumbys have a lot more holes than the Classic. If you need a new power supply, Doktor Jones says that this one will do the job, and the seller's in the US, and it's $5.99 with free shipping and handling.

In particular, what iPod would work with the CC?

I have used Logitech server before but it is a little bit of a hassle since you have to rely on your laptop to feed your chumby. I might as well just listen with my laptop and be done with it.

demarks51 wrote:

In particular, what iPod would work with the CC?

I have used Logitech server before but it is a little bit of a hassle since you have to rely on your laptop to feed your chumby. I might as well just listen with my laptop and be done with it.

Any iPod works that mounts the contents like a flash drive, for example the Classic, but not the Touch.