Topic: SSH will not work

I need a bit of help with my I3.5. SSH will not work! PuTTY just times out on the connection, and going to the IP won't work either. Correction: SSH will only work if both the computer and the Chumby are connected to one of those WiFi extender boxes. However, said box is at the other side of the house so the I3.5 just won't connect to it, given the wimpy WiFi reception, and neither will my computer. This wouldn't be a problem either except the computer itself is about 40 pounds, and the monitor is another 50 (It's a CRT). Even if I got a better antenna, the network box drops the connection down to below 56k dial-up speeds. I don't know why we need it at all, as every device connects fine to the main network. Just in case you need it, both computer and Chumby are connected as static IPs to Google's DNS service. The router model number is MI424WR, and my computer is running Windows 7. The only other computers around are a G4 iBook with no support and a Pentium 3 Toshiba with a nonworking touchpad and Windows 98. If you know any ways I can use SSH, let me know.

Re: SSH will not work

Just to be clear: SSH does work if you temporarily relocate the chumby such that it has a decent wifi signal?

servalan wrote:

Just to be clear: SSH does work if you temporarily relocate the chumby such that it has a decent wifi signal?

Sorry about that. I tend to ramble. What I'm saying is that SSH does work if I relocate the chumby or relocate the extender (How I figured that out in the first place) but when that happens, the internet's slow (About 200 kbps) and my computer is used for seeding Linux torrents so that isn't an option. The signal is decent on the Actiontec MI424WR, but SSH doesn't work. Anyone else with FiOS that can see if it works on their device? (That router is the standard FiOS one)

Out of curiosity, is a USB ethernet adapter for your I3.5 out of the question?  While it incurs some cost, said adapters are relatively cheap and reliable (~$20, I got a Linksys one that's serving as the WAN port on my pfSense router @ home).

5 (edited by nathanm 2013-03-28 14:09:53)

Doktor Jones wrote:

Out of curiosity, is a USB ethernet adapter for your I3.5 out of the question?  While it incurs some cost, said adapters are relatively cheap and reliable (~$20, I got a Linksys one that's serving as the WAN port on my pfSense router @ home).

It is. There are no ethernet ports to be found. I don't think that stringing an ethernet cable from the office below to my room through the air vent is a good idea. I just want to be able to ssh without using the wireless bridge! Anyone with the same router? It looks like this:https://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/p … enBH-1.jpg

Try plugging a keyboard into the I3.5 and getting the shell and seeing if you can see your PC's IP.  I think it's possible that the two boxes are on different subnets so they just can't ping each other.

unwiredben wrote:

Try plugging a keyboard into the I3.5 and getting the shell and seeing if you can see your PC's IP.  I think it's possible that the two boxes are on different subnets so they just can't ping each other.

They don't. How would I go about fixing this?

Yeah this really smells like they're on two different subnets.

The "static IP to Google" just means they're both using Google for DNS - that doesn't affect the local subnets or IP assignments to the devices.

How exactly is your network set up?

9 (edited by nathanm 2013-03-29 05:44:37)

Duane wrote:

Yeah this really smells like they're on two different subnets.

The "static IP to Google" just means they're both using Google for DNS - that doesn't affect the local subnets or IP assignments to the devices.

How exactly is your network set up?

Well, the cable modem comes out of the wall downstairs where the Verizon guy installed the box. It broadcasts the signal from there, and then a cable runs underneath to a Dell PowerConnect 2124 box where the rest of the internet devices in the office (Printer, computers, Raspberry Pi, original XBOX media center, etc) are connected. The repeater is installed at the other side of the house and connects to the wireless. This shouldn't really matter besides the wireless, though. Do I have to unblock a port on a router? Whenever I SSH into my jailbroken iPod I don't have to do that. If not, how would I go through the process of configuring the subnet? Both devices' subnet masks are set at 255.255.255.0, if that helps.

EDIT:Setting the Chumby's IP to 192.168.1.100 makes it respond to pings sent from the computer, but the webserver doesn't work, and PuTTY says that the connection has been refused, even after turning on SSH on the settings.

Double Edit: I CAN connect to the I3.5 through the iBook! If that's the case, it must not be a network configuration issue. Also, even when it (the Chumby) is connected to the main network, and the laptop is connected to the extender's network, SSH still works. Anyone know why this happens on my iBook G4 but not my Windows 7 machine?

Triple Edit: The problem seemed to fix itself. All answers are unneeded at this point.