Topic: New Chumby one doesn't work

I just bought a brand new chumby one today (my second one ). When I unpackaged it and plug it in I worked fine mostly, the plug needed to be in a specific position for it to get power. I found this weird but didn't really mind as I wasn't planning on moving my chumby around. I then brought it into my bedroom and set it up again. This time it wouldn't boot at all, just blue and bubble boot loop. I searched on the forums and found that the psu was the most likely culprit. Luckily I found another 2a 5w psu at home and though it was a tight fit, it worked, but the boot loop persisted. I am btw able to boot into special mode but not sure if its factory restoring, all that happens when I press it is a momentary freeze then more boot loop. I am also unable to boot off usb (offline firmware) although that was also working before I decided to move my chumby. Form the beginning it would only get power if the plug was rotated to a certain position and lose power if the plug was handled. It is still under warranty obviously but the store can't replace it because there is no more stock and I would rather not return it if something could be done. Thanks you so much in advance.

2 (edited by SaleKoo 2013-03-15 12:00:30)

Re: New Chumby one doesn't work

I think there is two possibly things which causes this problem:

1. Solderings (psu connector) at mb are broken

2. You have this replacement PSU some kind of wrong type

I think warranty way is so long in case of these items (Verkkokauppa) that it is better to do repair yourself (re-soldering) or let some pal, who knows, to do it.

Replace PSU which have at least 2,5 A.

Thanks for the advice. I got it working by installing the latest beta firmware for a usb stick. Not sure why that fixed anything but I'm glad it did. Still have the problem of the chumby shutting down if I move it a bit and have to rotate the plug for it to start again, but I'm reluctant to open it up and have no soldering skills anyway so I guess I'll just live with it, at least for now. Still the best alarm clock I've ever owned.

My C1 developed a problem in the power plug that gave it an intermittent power connection with similar symptoms to yours. Both the Chumby itself and the power supply itself still worked perfectly, but I had to cut the power connector off the cable and re-make the connection to get everything working again. In my case I soldered the wires directly to the PCB after desoldering the socket from it, but I don't recommend trying that unless you are (a) desperate, (b) very self-confident/brave/foolish, and (c) very handy with a soldering iron and a solder sucker.  I'm not sure what your best choice would be to get it fixed, but the PSU might still be salvageable.