Topic: Power supply replacements for *ALL* Chumby devices

I know there are a few people out there with Chumbies whose beloved devices are suffering from failed power supplies.  If we can get at least five people who are interested, I can get the parts together and assemble Chumby- (or Infocast-) compatible power supplies.  Please read the section below pertaining to your device, and if you're interested in joining up to order one, post a reply to this topic.  If we can manage to get at least ten total orders in, the price will start dropping due to savings on shipping -- also, if I can get at least ten orders for one series or the other, Digikey starts kicking in bulk discounts as well.

I plan to leave this order open until about two weeks after the last sign-up (once we get at least 5), at which point I'll email everyone interested to make sure you're all still interested.  Once I have confirmation of that, I will request payment -- I'm doing this to help the community, but my wallet isn't deep enough to be able to afford the all the parts on my own.  From that point, it will take 2-3 weeks for the power supplies and connectors to get to me, and another week to assemble the connectors on them, test them, and ship them.

In the event that I do get a confirmation of interest from enough people, but not enough are able/willing to pay to at least get an order of five in, I will gladly fully refund everyone who has paid.

Chumby One/Infocast 3.5

I have sourced the parts to put together Chumby One compatible power supplies (5V @ 2A, 3.2mm x 0.9mm plug, center-positive).  With five people, I can put them together and ship them out for $15 each.

Chumby 8/Infocast 8

Pretty much the same applies as for the Chumby One, except the cost will be about $2 more, since the 2.5A power supplies required by the 8-inch Chumby devices are about $2 more.

Chumby Classic

I didn't forget the Chumby Classic!

Instead, since the Chumby Classic is capable of operating on a fairly wide range of voltages and uses a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug, I found a ready-made adapter available on eBay that can be had for much less than I could ever make one: here you go smile

Re: Power supply replacements for *ALL* Chumby devices

Doc Jones,
Look at Mouser as an option too; I use a lot of them for cusomters as well.

Thanks for the tip, I tried them though and while they do carry plugs for the C8 (and slightly cheaper, too) they don't have anything suitable for the Chumby One.  Similarly, Newark and Jameco carry 3.5x1.3 plugs, but not the 3.2x0.8/0.9.

If all the orders I get here are for C8 adaptors (or if I get enough to warrant two separate orders, at least 5 C8 and 5 C1) then I'll gladly order the C8 plugs from a cheaper supplier and pass the savings on smile

My Chumby One ceased working when power adapter electrolytic capacitor C6 bulged and failed. This is probably a common power adapter failure mode. The hardest part of the repair is breaking the adapter open. I used a vise to carefully squeeze the power adapter along the seam where the 2 halves of the case join until the seam began to break apart. After replacing C6 I used a thin velcro strap to hold the power adapter case halves together instead of re-gluing the case.

I have found a power supply on eBay that purports to have a "3.5mm small plug tip" -- this may be directly compatible with the Chumby 8/Infocast 8.  You can find it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120916426453
WARNING - not tested/verified to work with C8/I8 yet!

I've decided to order one myself to try out -- if you want to wait and see what the verdict is, I should have it by next week... it ships from NY and I'm in MA so I may actually get it later this week.  If you order one yourself, feel free to post your results when you get it; the more feedback we have regarding what works and what doesn't, the better!

I figure worst-case scenario, I fry one of my Infocast 8's... that would make me very sad, and I would hold a small memorial service for it before laying it to rest at the local e-waste recycler.  More likely though, it will either work fine and people will have a place to get C8/I8 power supplies, or the I8 just won't power on with it (or the connector won't fit or something like that) and I'm out $15.

If this power supply doesn't work, I can still build you one, but please bear in mind it will be somewhat more expensive... probably around $18-20 due to order minimums on the power connectors.  The benefit to that route would be that I will test it on my own I8 and verify it works before shipping it out, or else give you a refund if it doesn't smile

6 (edited by jphphotography 2012-05-29 14:37:13)

Doktor Jones were you the guy I was bidding against the on the 8" infocast (missing powersupply) last night on ebay smile 15s left I put in $40 and was outbid lol, the thing sold for $43.

One supply you guys might be interested in for the <2A supplies is this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5v-2000ma- … -2000-9488
I have one but haven't load tested it yet, I was going to use it to build in some USB charging ports to my nightstand smile Too many fricking gadgets to charge.

Just FYI I don't know if the connector is right but if you have a fried power supply you could just clip the end off and wire it on, ensure proper polarity of course.

Nah, I have three I8's at this point, as well as a C8.  I also own a I3.5 and C1.  All are functional (other than some ROM fubars I've made and haven't bothered to reverse yet), and I think they're enough for me smile

I just received my adapter today -- unfortunately, the adapter I received was a 2A adapter, and not a 2.5A adapter.  I will be contacting the seller so I can figure out whether they just made a mistake and shipped the wrong one, or if they're trying to pull some bogus substitution game.  Even the shipping envelope says "SKU-Small-5V2.5A-3513#4" on it.  It has the right connector, at least o_O

I will go ahead and try it on my Chumby anyway, just to see whether it boots.

P.S.: wasn't there another post above my ebay post?  stonechild, did you delete your post?  Do you still need a I8 power supply?

9 (edited by phoenixflames 2012-07-05 08:24:02)

Quick question, is there anyway/anywhere I get can get a new a barrel for my I8, maybe from radioshack? Mine is pulling away from the board and it doesn't work unless it is clamped down sad

Pulling away from the board?  As in, internally?  In that case, I might suggest some hot glue to hold it down and see if that works (don't use super glue, because if you ever have to replace the socket, you'll need to be able to remove the glue to get the socket out).

Failing that, I'd suggest trying to find a 5.5mm x 2.5mm socket with the same pinout, so you can replace the power supply much more trivially in the future (searching ebay for 5V 2.5A turns up many adapters with that connector -- not so much the I8's connector size)

Doktor Jones wrote:

Pulling away from the board?  As in, internally?  In that case, I might suggest some hot glue to hold it down and see if that works (don't use super glue, because if you ever have to replace the socket, you'll need to be able to remove the glue to get the socket out).

Failing that, I'd suggest trying to find a 5.5mm x 2.5mm socket with the same pinout, so you can replace the power supply much more trivially in the future (searching ebay for 5V 2.5A turns up many adapters with that connector -- not so much the I8's connector size)

Ok thanks! If that doesn't work I'm going to replace the the barrel and power supply (preferably in a combo set). Right now I'm using  a Mybook power supply (Because I ripped the female end of the orginal sad ) so I would just be better off replacing both.

12 (edited by grimlin 2012-07-16 18:45:12)

nu3e wrote:

My Chumby One ceased working when power adapter electrolytic capacitor C6 bulged and failed. This is probably a common power adapter failure mode. The hardest part of the repair is breaking the adapter open. I used a vise to carefully squeeze the power adapter along the seam where the 2 halves of the case join until the seam began to break apart. After replacing C6 I used a thin velcro strap to hold the power adapter case halves together instead of re-gluing the case.

I just had this same problem. Thanks for the tip on the vise. Worked like a champ. Barely a scratch on the casing after opening. My failure was a bad cap as well. Think it was C6, but would have to crack it back open to be sure. It was a 10V 1000uF. I bought a pack of 16V 1000uF from amazon as radioshack didn't have anything locally. A pack of 50 with prime ($6.06) was just as cheap as 1 with shipping. If anyone else needs a cap, here is what I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055M … 04_s00_i00 They are slightly shorter than the original(and rated at a higher voltage), but the diameter is the same so the fit is perfect. Mine came in Sanyo branded.

FYI (for others who may be wondering and/or considering a similar replacement), a higher voltage rating on a capacitor is 100% okay -- this is just the component's maximum rating.  The capacitance, on the other hand (1000uF) is important, and variance in either direction could result in inadequately-filtered power or worse.

Doktor Jones wrote:

FYI (for others who may be wondering and/or considering a similar replacement), a higher voltage rating on a capacitor is 100% okay -- this is just the component's maximum rating.  The capacitance, on the other hand (1000uF) is important, and variance in either direction could result in inadequately-filtered power or worse.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that.

Resurrecting this thread... I just ordered the parts to make C8/I8 and C1/I3 adapters; if anyone's got a dead power supply, I've got a few extras I can sell for around $6, shipped.

The adapters will be short (~6"-12") pigtails, taking a standard 5.5mm x 2.5mm power supply and adapting it to the appropriate 3.2mm x 0.9mm for C1/I3, or 3.5mm x 1.35mm for C8/I8.  You can then find any appropriate power supply dirt-cheap on eBay to plug into this, and the great part is, if that power supply fails too, it'll be easy to find another one smile

BTW, if you're looking for a supply to go with the adapter...

These will work with C1/I3 + adapter: US or EU
These will work with C1/I3/C8/I8 + adapter: US or EU

(All the supplies listed here have a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug, and will NOT work directly with any Chumby/Infocast! You would need my adapter to make them work.  I'm listing them to show how easy it is to find an appropriate supply to use with an adapter)

I had all the symptoms of a dead power supply.  I bought a replacement on ebay, but the connector was too big.  Doktor Jones kindly built one for me for a reasonable price, which did the job - my Chumby 1 is back.  I'm very happy with the transaction and thrilled that my C1 works again.

18 (edited by speekeazy 2013-03-06 08:55:48)

Dok Im interested in picking up an adapter for a Chumby One. Do you have any left ?

I don't have the parts handy right now, but if there's enough interest I can order more.  One user who ordered some was saying his adapters didn't fit snugly, so I want to figure out why that happened before I make more.

Duane, did C1's by any chance use more than one type of connector (like same size but from different manufacturer or something?)

No, they were all the same part from the same manufacturer.

However, that doesn't mean there wasn't some variance of tolerance across lots or individual parts.

Thanks man. any other places you know that might sell replacement power supplys that will work ?

For another data point:  My failed power supply also had a bulged C6 -- will be heading to the Rat Shack for a replacement tomorrow (don't have one in my parts box).  Voltage read OK with no load, <2V under load.  I expect that replacing C6 will fix it -- will report otherwise if not.

23 (edited by duharris 2013-03-14 18:18:05)

For all the help everyone has provided on this forum, I have put together a helpful video that will show you how to fix your own power supply in minutes (with all the right parts and tools).

You can find it here on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/cgbhG7JyT50

or search for Chumby Power Supply Fix on YouTube.

Now, if I could just get a custom program running NOAA weather and a clock...the bare minimum I need. I think I see everything documented, I just need to try it.

~Thanks

24 (edited by tupholme 2013-04-19 01:07:12)

I brought a Chumby (Classic) to the UK before they were officially available here so I had to sort out my own power supply. I found that I had a compatible unit from an old Netgear router, which I have been using for 5+ years since without problems. Worth a look if you have any Netgear gear lying around.

25 (edited by scruffy1 2013-05-20 03:27:51)

sorry, posted elsewhere on the forum, but obviously it belongs here :

my chumby1 seemed to die, and googling led me to understand that it was actually the power brick from the symptoms

it was only then that i discovered the brick supplied with it 2nd hand was 12v @ 500mA .... eek!

still, the tough little bugger has survived for these last 2 years without issue... wink respect for the resilience of my abused toy

in my room was one only 6v @ 2100mA adapter, and lo and behold it works AND has a perfect connector

the original use was a usb adapter i thought, but it's origin is lost in the passage of time; for those looking for a plug and play alternative to the real thing, it is for 240v ac 50hz, and is listed on the device as :
AC-DC ADAPTOR
model : MWD48-0602100AS

a quick google of similar model numbers looks like it's a netgear thing, but your guess is as good as mine - hope that info is of use to someone