Topic: The old chumby systems have been shut down

I'm just mopping up the mess now.

Re: The old chumby systems have been shut down

Is this why I'm just getting the default clock on my Chumbies and the one I tried rebooting won't connect?  I guess I'll have to run the offline firmware on that one and not shut the others off for the time being...

BTW, I am grateful for the attempts to keep it going, I just want to understand what's going on.  :-)

All devices should be connecting, unless some hack has been applied that prevents it.

What type of chumby is not connecting?

Classic.  That was earlier this morning -- I'll have top try again when i get back home.

I wonder if some of the Sony stuff might have not transitioned from the Chumby infrastructure... I noticed last night that the SkyHappenings widget on my Dash was showing "NaN" for the temperature here in Austin.

Yes - it turns out that several widgets on the Sony system were still hitting Chumby's content servers.

Duane wrote:

All devices should be connecting, unless some hack has been applied that prevents it.

What type of chumby is not connecting?

Sorry about that -- it turns out that my router needed to be reset... I didn't really have the time for troubleshooting this morning!

No problem..

9 (edited by Steevo 2013-03-08 08:54:04)

unwiredben wrote:

I wonder if some of the Sony stuff might have not transitioned from the Chumby infrastructure... I noticed last night that the SkyHappenings widget on my Dash was showing "NaN" for the temperature here in Austin.

That is interesting.

It seems that Sony is actually a good citizen, they took their customer's chumby infrastructure and moved it off and are maintaining it themselves.  Paying for it.

Something the Infocast company couldn't be bothered to do.

Sony actually took responsibility. Unusual.  Admirable.

The thing is, both Infocasts(Actually a Best Buy brand) ran off of Chumby servers, and were stock Chumby hardware. For example, the I8 can be converted to run Chumby 8 firmware, and the I3.5 actually uses the same hardware and firmware as a Chumby One.

nathanm wrote:

The thing is, both Infocasts(Actually a Best Buy brand) ran off of Chumby servers, and were stock Chumby hardware. For example, the I8 can be converted to run Chumby 8 firmware, and the I3.5 actually uses the same hardware and firmware as a Chumby One.

I realize that.  The Sonys ran on the Chumby servers for years too.

What I was getting at was some time ago when things were all up and running, if you called Insignia about Infocast stuff they were quite clueless.

They for instance said to one person who posted on this forum: "We haven't worked with Chumby for a long time".  So they sold products that required ongoing service, as Duane said they had a contract that said the were the first tier support, but they essentially washed their hands of it years ago and acted clueless.  I tried to order a power supply replacement from them and I got nowhere.

Contrast that to Sony. It's not at all clear they are still selling anything that uses the Chumby platform anymore.

They took the infrastructure required to support products they had sold in the past and did the responsible thing.  They took it in house and are supporting their customers.  Running the backend servers at their expense.

Quite a difference in company integrity and attitude if you ask me.  I have to say I do admire Sony for that.

I've seen posts so often about Dash being a different beast (unique hardware, unique framework, unique apps, separate product support) I assumed they were always hosted separately.

village idiot wrote:

I've seen posts so often about Dash being a different beast (unique hardware, unique framework, unique apps, separate product support) I assumed they were always hosted separately.

They have been for quite some time, but I believe that wasn't always the case.  In the beginning of the Dash, I think they were supported by the Chumby ecosystem.   Somebody with more accurate information may disagree with me, though.

I remember when that was moved off to Sony, it has not been much more than two years.  How long has chumby been around? Three? 

I just looked at the forums at

http://community.sony.com/t5/Dash/bd-p/other-Dash

The oldest post I saw was from December 2010. 
Not sure if that's the date they went live with their own servers.  I actually think it was later than that.

BTW, if a mod reads this the link to the dash forums is wrong.
That is the correct link above, I think.

Maximum PC had a preview of the Chumby One way back in 2009, and I think the Classics predate that by a couple of years or so.

The dashes were hosted by Chumby until late 2011, just before the shutdown.

I'll correct the Sony forum link - they moved a bunch of stuff around.

It looks like someone suggested on Sony's forum to use zurk's firmware on the dash - that won't work, The dash is completely locked down, and even if it weren't, it's a MIPS processor, not ARM, so none of the native binaries would run.  There also isn't any available toolchain to build them.