Re: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

Can someone please help me?  I turned off my Chumby this morning, not knowing about the change to take place.  I usually don't turn it off, but I had been playing music on iShout all night and I thought I would give it a rest.  When I returned home from work I turned it on and all I got was a space clock.  So I rebooted.  I got the clock again and it said 1 of 1 widgets.  I can't read what's on the side of the clock. My eyes are bad.  I can get music on iHeart even though all of my favorites are gone.  I read where some users have some of their widgets.  Do I have to keep rebooting to get them back?  Do I have to reset my favorites on the radio, iHeart and Pandora?

Chumby Classic here; needed a reboot to start Pandora. I already miss my little friend.

Mine pulled down the new clock as well.  The only issue I have is the "hostname" ( /psp/hostname ), keeps being reset back to "Chumby" upon reboot.   Are we going to be able to set our own hostnames on the devices?  I have three devices, so I change the hostname on the device to keep track of them.  Any ideas why?  It didn't do this before.....

Thanks for keeping this online!!  I wrote a perl script pulls information from a shared google calendar (my wife and I) and sets alarms based on day of week and her every changing schedule.

@x86cpu - the normal behavior is to copy the name of the device you gave when you registered it into /psp/hostname just after the Control Panel authenticates.

The new server sends "Chumby" for the name of the device for all devices.

Either there was something wrong before, or you happened to name the device on the website the name you actually wanted.  I guess I'd try chmodding the file, but not sure if that would work.

@mnyakatura - this is the way the system works now, until widgets are restored.

The text on the left side of the clock is meaningless.

Since the iheartradio favorites were stored on the old server they're no longer available.  Your Pandora stations are stored at Pandora, so they'll survive.

Duane wrote:

@x86cpu - the normal behavior is to copy the name of the device you gave when you registered it into /psp/hostname just after the Control Panel authenticates.

The new server sends "Chumby" for the name of the device for all devices.

Either there was something wrong before, or you happened to name the device on the website the name you actually wanted.  I guess I'd try chmodding the file, but not sure if that would work.

I ssh in and set the /psp/hostname back to what I want.  I reboot and it sets it back again to "Chumby".  The file is editable.  A reboot just keeps setting it back.     To fix it right now I have a cron job to put it back correctly after booting.  I did name the device in /psp/hostname and on the website as well.   The cron job should now keep it, just was a surprise to me, that's all.

Both of my IC 3.5s found the new stub server without problems.  Pandora required a re-boot.  I miss all my widgets esp. Rectangular Talking Clock, and the Time/Temp clock, but it's great that the little guys ain't dead.
Kudos to Duane for keeping 'em alive!

@Blue octy, thank you for your help.  I will check back periodically for updates.

59 (edited by Threemoons 2013-02-20 17:43:20)

Folks, have you thought of a Kickstarter, BlueAnt, or Indiegogo campaign to bring back the full widget server?  I would happily kick in if I knew where the hat was being passed.

Duane, you're the best for keeping this brewing as long as you have.  Let us know how we can help.

Two I8's and two I3's have successfully made the transition. Had to reboot to get Pandora to work. It sure looks like a ghost town in the app department. Thankful for what we have. Look forward to future upgrades. Kudos to Duane on his success. Can we start selling tickets to the chumby museum to raise money to keep the servers running?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

@Threemoons - yes, we're looking at a lot of options for funding the full service on an ongoing basis.

C1 and Classic both up and running nicely with the new control panel.  Looking forward to getting the facebook photos widget back, but otherwise delighted (hell, ecstatic) that Pandora continues to work and that therefore I can continue to wake up to it.

Duane, you're a mensch.

I3.5 at work is on the new server now.  I'll find out about the CC at home on the night stand when I get home from work tonight!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I want to let you know that the switchover went quite smoothly from my perspective. Duane, your very careful preparation for this really paid off.

The only negative comments I received were from my wife. She thought that she could no longer get internet radio stations on the Chumby in her office, but I explained that the stations we had stored on My Streams were all still there. Then she said she was unhappy about not having a weather radar image in the morning on our C8 in the kitchen. She and a neighbor walk every morning at 5:30. If it is raining, they take the day off. The most reliable way to tell the weather in our area is for her to look at the weather radar image on the kitchen Chumby. Unfortunately, that functionality is gone, for now.

While none of us is happy about losing even a little bit of functionality, considering what might have been, I know many of us are very grateful that our little electronic friends are still delivering streaming radio, alarms, current time and the date thanks entirely to your extraordinary dedication.

Thanks for all that the remaining Chumby people have done!!!!   I'm keeping the faith, and willing to pay a monthly fee for continued service. 

Again thank you for keeping these little critters alive!!!!!

Thanks for all that the remaining Chumby people have done!!!!   I'm keeping the faith, and willing to pay a monthly fee for continued service. 

Again thank you for keeping these little critters alive!!!!!

It all looks smoother than it really was.

I've actually done a half-dozen or so deployments today to handle a bunch of edge cases and general weirdness.  At one point we peaked at 9.0Mbit/s but we're back down to around 3.5 and dropping.

I have one Japanese machine that is making several dozen widget requests *per second* - it's not an actual chumby.  It says it's a "virtual chumby", which it might indeed be, but whatever it is, it's malfunctioning badly.  I've blocked that one in the server config- I'd rather do it a firewall but I don't have one set up at the moment.  i hope he's enjoying his 403s.

I've also discovered a Russian website that's leeching off the service, posting links to our widgets but claiming them as their own.   I am working on a *very* special treat for them.

About 25,000 devices are still not quite recognizing that something's different, but hitting the server - they're still playing their cached widgets but trying to fetch data that is no longer served.

I've sent a "Please reboot me" widget to these devices.

Chumby One at home switched over without incident.

ZeroDoom wrote:

@chumby Maybe add the default "offline" widget to the channel. Then we could pin the one we want.

Thanks!

I'd support that if it ever becomes feasible. In the meantime, I'm just happy to have the little guys still working!

First, thanks and glad it is back alive.

Is the Star Clock the only widget I should see?

Trying to see if I have switched over.

Not really following the thread. It looks like I have Pandora but wondering if I will ever get my Chumby clock back.

All in good time. Star clock widget only. All music plus some additions.
I really really like the Soarin' radio in Blue Octy. Great addition. I added some of my radio stations from YouStreams to My Streams. Wish my I8s had MyStreams.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

rthib wrote:

First, thanks and glad it is back alive.

Is the Star Clock the only widget I should see?

Trying to see if I have switched over.

Not really following the thread. It looks like I have Pandora but wondering if I will ever get my Chumby clock back.

Also forget to add - Thank You!!!

My C1 and C8 switched over happily to the Space Clock Wednesday. Great to see MyStreams held my stations. Despite current limitations, this is still the best internet clock radio around. When other widgets come back, it'll feel like a bonus.

Re the Russian pirates- don't forget to play with their music on BlueOcty radio. Maybe when they tune in to Radio Slovenia they should get diverted to Rush Libaugh or racing results from Belmont Park.

But seriously Duane, congrats on this great accomplishment in keeping this unique device going. It also must be gratifying to see all these new voices of support springing up on the forum. Again, thanks.

I've been following this development since Chumby.com went out of business and have even tried out Zurk's offline software, 'Octopus' all the widgets (I have them but have no idea what to do with them or which ones are which smile ), downloaded my profile from the chumby server, shh my chumby one, added the built in clock to the offline software, and generally tinkered around...

I have also really enjoyed the back-and-forth with msharp42!

My C1 switched over to the stub NP.

So, my questions are;

is the offline clock still 'built-in'?

If yes how can I use it as well as the Space Clock?

Re contributing;  I'd buy merchandise - charms, t shirts etc

Thanks for keeping chumby alive!

Cheers Shaun.

All good with my Classic here in the UK, thanks - switched over sometime yesterday on its own. I knew it was coming as I follow on Facebook. Thanks for your ingenuity in planning this and your skill in executing it!