Topic: Two days after getting the Chumby....

I got my Chumby two days ago and I want to share some of my thoughts on the device.

First of all I love electronic gadgets and that's why I couldn't resist getting the Chumby. I am using since 5 years a Pocket PC to quickly access the internet, Email or webradio as well.

These are my preliminary thoughts.

1) The widgets in the Chumby are great when the device is not actively in use. Sort of as a screen saver on an always on device.

2) I am missing though an "active" interaction with the device, something I have gotten used to with the Pocket PC or a Palm device. I feel it is missing "applications" at this point, such as "Avantgo" to actively browse and read news. An internet explorer would be nice too with touchscreen keyboard, or a bittorrent so I don't have to keep my PC running all the time, or Skype ........

My hope is that as the device gets more popular more Linux applications become available to add functionality. Unfortunately, as a newbie to Linux or Flash programming I have doubts that I can contribute much to this development...

Re: Two days after getting the Chumby....

The chumby isn't meant to do things like that.

However, if you really wanted to -- you'll hit a roadblock at its computing power. ;-)

I think the computing power of the Chumby is enough to do alot of the  things he mentioned.
I use and old 400 Mhz Dell as a basic server and web browser and it works fine.
That is one of the beauties of Linux is that it runs on all different types of hardware.
A text based Web browser like Elinks (which runs fine on my Nintendo DS) would be a nice utility.
Maybe even CLI versions of MP3 players and Email could be properly ported.

I too would like to have more "active" interaction with my Chumby.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I don't think that computer power is the limiting factor either. The Chumby seems to be identical to my Pocket PC.

Pocket PC:
400 Hz Arm (PXA255 by Intel)
64 MB Ram
320x240 3.5" TFT LCD

Chumby:
350 MHz ARM controller (MX21 by Freescale)
32-bit 64 MB SDR SDRAM running at 117 MHz bus speed
320x240 3.5" TFT LCD with 3-state LED backlighting