Topic: POLL: Tapatalk support?

kgeissler asked in another thread about Tapatalk support; unfortunately Tapatalk does not natively support PunBB.  However, they have an API system that allows third parties to write their own plugins to work with the Tapatalk app.

I think I might be able to do this, but it would take some time.  Before I dive in and get involved in a potentially huge project like this, I'd like to know how many people would be willing to use it, and perhaps more importantly, how many would be willing to help me test it as I'm developing it.  Use the poll below to let me know smile

I will be running the poll for two weeks, which should give me time to get my work on the wiki migration finished up, and give all our active members ample time to cast their votes.

Re: POLL: Tapatalk support?

I don't see the need for it. Current forum format displays well on my devices. Tapatalk allows features like direct upload of pictures from mobile devices, not really priorities for this forum. (... bandwidth, bandwidth... ) Also, tapatalk is a proprietary app that is sold, not free, for proprietary OSs like Apple iOS and (not really open) Google Android. It might be a fun thing in the future but not now when the forum and our Chumbys are in "survival mode."

Well maybe we can talk Duane into writing a free app that interfaces with the Tapatalk API, if I make the forum-side software?  big_smile

Seriously though, one nice thing about Tapatalk is that they publish their API and even explicitly permit developers to make Tapatalk-compatible apps; currently there's one out there for Android called Convo, though it's only gotten mediocre reviews.

I can't really see the point of it.
It seems that one of its big features is, as bobsz says, the ability to upload photos directly from mobiles. This would be fine for the type of forum where "Look at this interesting thing I saw when I was out" had some relevance, but I can't recall ever encountering anything that I wished I could photograph and upload to this forum instantly.
Chumby is, by its very nature, a stationary home or office based device. This rather limits the extent to which forum users are going to want or need to hear or deliver Chumby news or questions when away from their Chumbys, which makes the enhanced support for mobile devices offered by Tapatalk perhaps of less value than it is for other forums.
Tapatalk may be of benefit to those who use a tablet or phone instead of, rather than as well as, a computer.
I would, however, like to make it clear that I have no objections to Tapatalk support. Just because I can't see a need for it doesn't mean that others won't like it. Indeed, if it does go ahead I will probably at least try it, and maybe I will come to see benefits that I hadn't thought of.

Also, Doktor Jones, perhaps you might consider splitting your poll into two, or offering the opportunity to select more than one option. You don't want to knock yourself out developing something that people are relatively indifferent to.
It would seem to me that the "would you help test it" question is different from the "would you use it" question, which is perhaps slightly different again from the "do you want it" question. Assuming that the people who would help test it are also people who really want it and would be keen users may not be correct.
Although I probably would help test it, I probably wouldn't use it, and I actually don't want it.

What about posting from my chumby, instead of my phone? tongue

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I worded the poll the way I did because A) I need people to test it, so it doesn't inadvertently break things (for Tapatalk users as well as normal web users), and B) If people would use it, whether or not they actively want it, I'd be happy to take a crack at it; just as long as it doesn't become some dust-collecting feature that never gets touched.

Materdaddy wrote:

What about posting from my chumby, instead of my phone? tongue

Well I'm sure Duane could write a widget for that wink

Count me in to test and use it....but I guess I am the only person that finds it useful.  I like the to look at forums without using the web browser on my phone.  I think it is quicker and easier to navigate than using the mobile browser.