Re: End of Chumby as we know it...
Well, I'm really in a race for time at this point. My options for doing things to the existing system are somewhat limited. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to put a message on all chumbys without some deep hacking on the Control Panels. Perhaps I'll get to that when I'm confident I'm ready to take over the systems.
Here's where I'm currently at with the new system - I have CC, C1, and I3.5 devices booting and running the "Space Clock" (nee LCARS Clock) widget, and playing ShoutCAST, iheartradio, blue octy radio, and Sleep Sounds. I still need to do CBS Podcasts (easy), and Pandora (hard). All of the music sources that do not rely on the chumby servers run as before (NOAA Radio, iPod, My Streams, FM Radio, Squeezebox Server, My Music Files).
There were actually several other support services that needed to be implemented first to get this much running.
My next step is getting the "xapi" devices working (C8, I8). They use a more complex and more extensive protocol. It's *very* likely that I'll have to make some minor Control Panel modifications for these two.
Most of the old systems have been backed up - source code for the servers, Chumby-authored widgets and Control Panels, public GPL source, toolchains, and various support files used by the service.
Much of this stuff requires some level of archaeology - most of the internal systems that held all of the documentation are offline, and some of them were never transferred to Amazon. In some cases, what I'm having to do is network traces to see what systems are going where for what, then tracking down the source for each end to see what's expected. The other issue is that some of the systems are quite old and I'm having to rewrite a few of them to work with the latest versions of various frameworks.
My hope is to switch over to the new systems in mid-February, so we'll still have a couple of weeks with the old systems available in case I miss something crucial. My biggest worry is that I miss some keys or certificates that are just sitting on a server and aren't backed up anywhere anymore.
Right now, I'm doing "git'er done" programming, and including the various third-party API keys directly into the code. After the crunch, my plan is to factor out these keys, then I should be able to open source the new system, and people will be able to help if they want.
As for testing, I would certainly appreciate folks to assist when I'm ready - all you have to do is place a "hosts" file on /psp to redirect the various domains to the new systems.
I hope to have the new corporate entity in place this week, in which case I can start signing up for new hosting services to hold this stuff.