Topic: Ultimate universal remote quest

I have been searching for the ultimate universal remote control. After much thought and quite a bit of searching I have determined it just hasn't been built...yet.

I would like it to be a capacitive touchscreen device with a 4 - 4.5" screen and based on Android. Think of an Android phone or media player with much of the expensive hardware stripped out. No need for cameras, cellular radio or gps. Motion sensors might be useful. A single core processor would probably suffice. 512 MB of RAM, 4 or 8 GB of storage. MicroSD would not be necessary. It WOULD need a built in IR blaster and a decent universal remote app. Bluetooth and Wifi are also musts. Google Play market access would also be a must. This would allow easy access to remote control apps for Roku, Grace Digital radios, etc. I see alot of remote apps in the Play market for other special devices. One device that could run everything like a harmony remote, but with more possibilities. I can't imagine such a device would cost more than $100 - $150 when you can purchase a 7" tablet for $150 - $200.

Anyone else think this would be a popular device?

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Re: Ultimate universal remote quest

I don't know how good this site is, but take a look at http://short.sene.us/4dc7e0 -- it's a 7 inch screen (a bit larger than you wanted) but it's running Android (only 2.2 meh) and most importantly is one of the few tablets I've seen to claim a built in "IR Remote" feature.  It's also a bit pricier than you were looking at, at $220.

Doktor Jones,

Samsung's Galaxy tab 7 has IR too. A bit expensive but most of all, too big.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Ta … B007P4VOWC

Thanks for looking.

I'm planning on turning my Chumby One into a remote control for my clock radio using the IR Toy from Dangerous Prototypes -- see http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/USB_IR_Toy_v2

oh yeah, lol... I'd take a Samsung over that off-brand any day wink

So size is the #1 concern then, hmmm... *digs*

unwiredben wrote:

I'm planning on turning my Chumby One into a remote control for my clock radio using the IR Toy from Dangerous Prototypes -- see http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/USB_IR_Toy_v2

Interesting project, but I am not sure why you wouldn't use the radio in your Chumby One. Care to share reasons and details?

Doktor Jones wrote:

oh yeah, lol... I'd take a Samsung over that off-brand any day wink

So size is the #1 concern then, hmmm... *digs*

Most remote controls can be used with one hand. I want the same for this Android remote. This isn't so much a project for me as it is a desire to get rid of a pile of remotes. If I could control my BluRay player, surround sound receiver, dual tray CD player, HDTV, WMC HTPC, Roku and Grace Digital radio with one remote I would be very happy. I really don't understand why someone hasn't already started selling these already. With all the features I mentioned before that don't need to be in the product and considering how cheap some of these bigger Android devices are I would think there would be plenty of profit in this type of device. Look at the competition for other "high end" universal remotes.

My clock-radio is a Sony HD radio w/ iOS device dock & larger stereo speakers and has been a bit more reliable than the Chumby.  Plus, it has a remote control which is nice to be able to adjust volume/options in bed.

The project is actually using the Chumby as a WiFi controller to talk to my Nest thermostat, find out when the AC system has been activated, and use that to adjust volume up/down on the radio so we can hear podcasts over the fan noise.

unwiredben wrote:

My clock-radio is a Sony HD radio w/ iOS device dock & larger stereo speakers and has been a bit more reliable than the Chumby.  Plus, it has a remote control which is nice to be able to adjust volume/options in bed.

The project is actually using the Chumby as a WiFi controller to talk to my Nest thermostat, find out when the AC system has been activated, and use that to adjust volume up/down on the radio so we can hear podcasts over the fan noise.

Interesting. Let us know how it goes.

Well the Logitech Harmony One remote is configurable... I don't think it does wifi but it may do bluetooth, certainly doesn't run android... but the buttons are all configurable and remappable, I believe you can even customize appearance to some degree.  I haven't looked at the software in a few years (I think my remote got left in a box in storage in CA when I moved out here to MA) but hopefully they've improved the interface some.  It allows you to do a lot, but is just quite clunky/non-intuitive at times.

ditto on the Harmony. Love all mine. Have a 880, One and 659. There is a new one out now, the Touch.
Also, there is one called the Harmony Link that you use with your tablet being the GUI...