Topic: iPhone playing over Chumby

My iPhone charges when plugged into Chumby, but I get the "No iPods were found" message on clicking Music. I've heard that there's an issue with the way iPhones mount, but I must admit, I've got next to no idea what that means.

Anyone have any ideas on means of getting iPhone songs playing through Chumby? Or potentially ETA of patches that could allow the iPhone to use Chumby as speakers? I could be wrong, but I'd guess that there's substantial overlap in the Chumby early adopters and iPhone early adopters.

Re: iPhone playing over Chumby

I'm guessing it's related to this:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=700

It is disappointing to think there's something on the Apple side that doesn't allow Chumby to do its thing. Go-go gadget-hackers!

Yeah - it's the saem problem as with the Touch - the iPhone does not act enough like the other iPods.

We took a look at the standard USB interfaces it presents under Linux - it actually says that it's a camera.

Ah, yes, that seems reasonable given that's the icon Vista chooses when I plug in. I assume you're willing to incorporate any (stable) means people figure out to get access to the tunes? I really hope people are moving forward on this, it's a pretty prime feature of Chumby I'll be missing. (I'd love to be able to do anything on it myself, but I'm completely lost on that level of hacking...I'm more in the design world.)

Even on some Macs the iPhone was showing up as a camera (ones that hadn't updated in a while).
The issue is the iPhone and iPod Touch are completely different animals than the standard iPods.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."