Topic: Design question for Chumbians

Is the current colour of the prototype screen surround a sort of off white colour? (It's not doing much for me at the minute). Is this going to change for the final design? Is chumby going to ship with its current suede outerwear? Or will there be a choice of outerwear and screen surround colours?

The other thing as something to think about for crafters...it might be possible to PlastiDip the screen surround to give it a colourful, rubbery coating. Just a thought...I've been dreaming about getting my hands on one of OLPC's CM1s too...that is a great design.

Re: Design question for Chumbians

There are currently two bezel colors - an off-white and black.  These are certainly not fixed in stone - we don't know yet what we'll do for production.

We originally chose the coconut/brown and black/black combinations due to the fact that they were relatively "neutral" looking and may fit well in most environments and also because the material colors were in stock (very important, considering we manufactured the pieces and complete chumby units in only a few weeks).

The beauty of this design is that we can change the frame and fabric colors and textures relatively easily. But, we still haven't decided on which color combinations we'll use for production. Maybe we can even make smaller quantities of different colors available for craft hackers. Would you like this?

Joe

Thank you for your responses...

A choice of colours...wow...I agree with the need to use neutral colours. I wasn't aware of the black when I made that post. What put me off that off-white was the fact that my brain linked it to all those horrible putty coloured computer devices we lived with for years . I'd recommend a fresh, bright white...a bit more modern.

As for colours...let me think about that...for production purposes you might want to check out the colour forecasts available through the Pantone site.

A limited run of colours would be magnifitastic...hey, I'm happy to take a broken prototype off your hands just to play with the outerwear (a working one would be way better!).

I'm already designing my blog page to post the images. At least that will give you a showcase of original designs up before your product hits the stores. I have an idea for a high end original designer showcase site and a more funky diy site. It all depends on you getting one of those babies in my hands though guys!

Can you put the flat pattern up soon? bunnie said he thought there was an early version up but the site seems to say it is coming soon. Can it be in a format I can open? I can't access the CAD formatted files from home.

Angela wrote:

Can you put the flat pattern up soon? bunnie said he thought there was an early version up but the site seems to say it is coming soon. Can it be in a format I can open? I can't access the CAD formatted files from home.

The flat pattern is coming soon. I'm working with our manufacturer in China to put together something nice - and it's not an easy task being 5,000 miles away. We had an original flat pattern that is in PDF format, but there were so many changes to it to get to where we are with the prototype units that it's not even worth showing (trust me). I'm hoping to have something in the next week or so.

Joe