Topic: The next gaming console?

CLink to article --> http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/7/2/313 … yves-behar

Synopsis: Basically an "open" hackable android box, that is based on free games. I wish chumby made a move in that direction.
But personally I don't think its gonna take off, #1 android has an overhang onto any app made,#2 Some apps/games aren't yet tailored to high end devices do to lower thread count and arent cpu specific (ie. Tegra 3). I have an Asus TF300 quadcore tablet and it lags on some apps even with performance mode activated. And part of the problem is 1gb of ram not 2gb. Any thoughts?

Re: The next gaming console?

DOA. Hard core gamers will want MUCH more horsepower than this box can bring to the table and casual gamers (Angry Birds type) can use their phones or tablets.

Just my $0.02

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Have any of you heard about the OUYA, It's a new concept console on the kickstarter website.  It has received over 5 million dollars,  any thoughts?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy … me-console

BTW, nice to see people on the forums still, I haven't been on in a year.

I'm in for $130 right now, contemplating the $225 tier.

BTW Bolo, I consider myself a "hardcore gamer" (owning an Xbox 360, Wii, and ~$3000 hand-built gaming desktop as well as a ~$1200 gaming laptop, and no less than $900 worth of games in my Steam library alone) and think the OUYA will serve its own unique purpose, one that is yet unfilled by any other device.

Sure the casual gamer can use their phone/tablet to play games... but why sit in your living room and hunch over your 4-10" screen when there's a 30+" screen less than ten feet away that will allow you to sit back and relax and enjoy the game?  Also some developers are already looking forward to making OUYA versions of their games that will be designed to take advantage of the larger screen and standard controller.

Worst case scenario, it does flop on launch... and I have myself a rootable, open, home entertainment Android platform to play with.

We agree on at least one point. If they actually do come to market I will probably buy one just to turn into a home entertainment device. I expect a lot of Open platform enthusiasts will do the same. The problem is I don't think enough people will actually spend real money on games for this device. Getting developers to create compelling games and then selling them at a reasonable price isn't that easy. The general idea has been tried before. Maybe Ouya has the right mix but I don't think so. I really do hope they prove me wrong. I would like to see Sony and Microsoft get shaken up in the game console market and I would like Kickstarter to have a real big success.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I think many of the OUYA titles will turn to microtransactions for their profit.  It's not a big up-front moneymaker, but many large game companies have vastly increased their profitability by running F2P with income via microtransactions; see Guild Wars, Team Fortress 2, etc.

I could be wrong, but I think sooner or later it'll become the popular way to bring in income via OUYA.