Topic: Chumby as wireless card.

Is there a way to plug in a USB to Ethernet dongle and have it share the wifi over that?  I'm wondering if there's something similar to the 3G easter egg that hasn't been discussed at length.

I have a PC in the garage without integrated wifi.  Typically I'd add a router running dd-wrt or buy an access card, but I was wondering if it was possible to share the chumby's wifi connection instead since I already have one in the garage.

I already have a C1 in the garage for pandora, maybe it can be dual-purpose!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Re: Chumby as wireless card.

Yes, it's possible - the trick isn't too much different than the 3G one.

So apparently this is an exercise left to the user...? tongue

If I figure something out, I'll post up!

But by the time you cobble it together you're well past the cost of even the cheapest of WiFi usb dongles for the PC.

Except he already has the Chumby in that location, so that doesn't factor into the cost.  Now it's down to the cost of USB-ethernet adapter vs USB-wifi adapter.  Even if they are about even, there's still a learning experience to be had turning the Chumby into a network-sharing device that will not be found by just getting a USB-wifi dongle.

Not to mention, I'm sure he's already placed his Chumby somewhere where it's getting a good signal.  If he gets a wifi dongle, he may have to get extension cables and play "find the signal" for an hour or two before he gets any sort of acceptable connection.

Doktor Jones wrote:

Except he already has the Chumby in that location, so that doesn't factor into the cost.  Now it's down to the cost of USB-ethernet adapter vs USB-wifi adapter.  Even if they are about even, there's still a learning experience to be had turning the Chumby into a network-sharing device that will not be found by just getting a USB-wifi dongle.

Not to mention, I'm sure he's already placed his Chumby somewhere where it's getting a good signal.  If he gets a wifi dongle, he may have to get extension cables and play "find the signal" for an hour or two before he gets any sort of acceptable connection.

Well said.

I also have about 4 usb-ethernet adapters that are supported in linux, so that cost (to me right now) is already taken care of.  I actually did use an old WRT54G in client bridge mode for now, but still want to look at this if I ever get some time.

Given that the chumby's antenna is inside the unit it's pretty unlikely an external USB dongle, usually supplied with an extension, is going to have any greater problems getting a signal.  Then you run into the issues of networking issues like routing, NAT or protocols that aren't passed (bonjour, UDP, etc).

But hey, feel free to squander your time 'learning' as you see fit.

wkearney99 wrote:

Given that the chumby's antenna is inside the unit it's pretty unlikely an external USB dongle, usually supplied with an extension, is going to have any greater problems getting a signal.  Then you run into the issues of networking issues like routing, NAT or protocols that aren't passed (bonjour, UDP, etc).

But hey, feel free to squander your time 'learning' as you see fit.

Great attitude there buddy!  Unfortunately I haven't already learned everything like you.

9 (edited by wkearney99 2012-06-11 16:48:22)

Yeah, well, sometimes when you learn enough you understand that while some things CAN be done, they're not usually worth the hassle.  So pardon me for not having more patience with the newbies.  30+ years of all this tends to leave you a bit jaded when encountering naive 'enthusiasm'.

Configuring the network routing is the hassle.  Getting and keeping it properly configured and dealing with how the packets for all the necessary protocols are handled is tedious, at best.   Versus just plugging in a wifi dongle that will 'just work' and stay that way. 

I too have used a WRT54 with DD-WRT as a client bridge for extending wifi to a local network... on my boat.  The idea being to pickup an on-shore signal and route that to an on-boat network.  Besides network addressing and protocol hassles, there was the performance hit.  It was a lot slower than just making a direct connection.  But what won out was just using a cellular data modem and a router instead.

So, in keeping with the curmudgeonly tack.. 'you kids, get off my lawn!'

wkearney99 wrote:

Yeah, well, sometimes when you learn enough you understand that while some things CAN be done, they're not usually worth the hassle.  So pardon me for not having more patience with the newbies.  30+ years of all this tends to leave you a bit jaded when encountering naive 'enthusiasm'.

I get it, you're an angry old man.  The only thing I don't understand about your original post is: why?  I can understand you thinking it's not worth the hassle, than why post?

wkearney99 wrote:

Configuring the network routing is the hassle.  Getting and keeping it properly configured and dealing with how the packets for all the necessary protocols are handled is tedious, at best.   Versus just plugging in a wifi dongle that will 'just work' and stay that way.

One of the reasons for my post was to see if somebody already dealt with the network routing hassles (i.e. asking if an "easter egg" was there).  Notice I didn't ask about iptables rules and other lower-level configuration of the network interfaces.  I knew it wasn't worth that effort, especially since I have a couple old WRT routers in the part piles or could purchase a wireless card for the PC for very little money.

wkearney99 wrote:

I too have used a WRT54 with DD-WRT as a client bridge for extending wifi to a local network... on my boat.  The idea being to pickup an on-shore signal and route that to an on-boat network.  Besides network addressing and protocol hassles, there was the performance hit.  It was a lot slower than just making a direct connection.  But what won out was just using a cellular data modem and a router instead.

What network addressing protocol hassles?  This configuration "just works" for me, especially since bridges work on layer 2 of the OSI model.  I have never had to worry about things like multicast/UDP/etc. not working because it was a wireless segment.  It's a bridge that works great.

Now I can't argue how well it worked on that hole in the water you throw your money into, nor the performance hit.

wkearney99 wrote:

So, in keeping with the curmudgeonly tack.. 'you kids, get off my lawn!'

big_smile

My dad taught me not to walk on people's lawns, but I don't care if somebody is on mine.  Just those darn cats...

Speaking for myself, I love doing stupid and pointless things with my Chumby devices - I invariably learn something I didn't know, and that's worth it in itself.  Sometimes, what I did ends up being useful purely by chance.

For instance, I ported node.js to Chumby for no particular reason except that I though it was kinda neat and wanted to play with it - but ended up using it to solve some problems I ended up having months later.

Angry?  Give it a rest with the insults.

I think everyone needs to calm down and return to the topic at hand -- if you have something to contribute towards this thread's goal of setting up a Chumby as a wireless bridge, by all means post it... but please leave insults and passive-aggressive comments at the door.  Thanks.