Topic: Adding exta usb port to 3.5" infocast?

The 3.5" has the pins for an extra USB port as per Bunnie's blog but I'm curious if its enabled out of the box or does one need to do something extra to enable it? Has anyone already done this?

I'd simply try wiring it in myself but I just used my last pcb mount USB jack on an emergency charger project and won't be getting more for a little while. I suppose I could scavenge something...

Re: Adding exta usb port to 3.5" infocast?

Yes, it's active and I've used it before.

Sweet! I actually found a spare USB port this weekend so I'll install it right away!

Let us know how it works for you!  I may have to peek into my own I3.5 and see about wiring it up smile

It worked fine for me Doktor Jones, but be forewarned... seems that the 3.5 infocast is running on the harry edge of thermal functionality.

I used the stock internal usb port for a thumb drive and the unused port for a internal wifi dongle and the added internal heat was too much for the poor thing...  ;-)

Good to know PlugNickel, I was wondering about that because just with one thumbdrive in use along with the stock wifi card it seems to get pretty warm.

I've got a second one coming to me from ebay and I'm thinking of integrating it into a custom wifi radio stereo etc kind of like this one so I could add some small fans too. I plan on using a nice little amp module from dealextreme as well as a bluetooth dongle (also from dx) for some A2DP streaming. We'll see if I ever get around to actually making it smile

Yes, good to know -- I was considering turning it into an internal flash drive for a custom boot ROM, I may look into putting a little cooling in the C1, a 25mm fan might do the trick.  It should be quiet enough (25dBa, a bit quieter than a whisper), and though 1.53cfm isn't much, there's less than 1 cubic foot inside the C1 body, so that should help keep the heat down.