Topic: what is our future as chubyites?

The more I read the more discouraging it sounds. Does Chumby have a future? Passed the summer? Can someone keep this thing going?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: what is our future as chubyites?

other than pandora and the forums there is nothing that chumby provides which has not been replicated in some form already.

Why no pandora?  That works on many devices, AFAICT.

no pandora because pandora requires TWO servers locally and another 4 servers hosted at pandora itself to function, both of the local ones are closed source and cannot be replicated and only works thanks to a contract signed between chumby industries and pandora which requires outlays of cash periodically.
none of the other music sources have these requirements.

I wonder if pandora will let us off the hook on that, since you can use pandora in a web browser with no other infrastructure than they provide?

It sounds like it could be done to me.  A chumby at your house is no different to pandora than a computer at your house.

So who is hosting Chumby if Chumby inc is dead?  I guess I am out of sync since I am a newby. I really like chumbying and would like to see that there is a long future for it. I got a 3.5 but would eventually like to get an 8" but don't want to buy a dying dinosaur. I like Pandora but it would the other music sources are fine even if they left. Maybe there is something like Live365 or something like that available. It would seem if you have a Pandora ID it would not matter where the music comes out. I have had a Pandora ID for years. Just was wondering what to expect since I am a Chumby owner for a couple of weeks.

Is there a way to contact other Chumbys thru Chumby device?

Re the company situation, go up to the "Chumby the Device" forum and similar sections. There's dozens of posts about Chumby, Inc. The company's out of business. Then read about the offline firmware zurk mentioned above.

The company is not completely "out of business".  It is true that it currently has no employees, but the service is still running, the contracts it has are still valid, and it has not filed for any form of bankruptcy.

The company is currently being managed by a trustee, and is seeking a buyer.

In the meantime, some of us are maintaining the systems as volunteers, to the best of our ability.

Duane wrote:

In the meantime, some of us are maintaining the systems as volunteers, to the best of our ability.

Wish I could give you a medal.  "to the best of our ability" is quite a modest statement.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I agree.  I really X10 appreciate the volunteer work.  I really enjoy my chumby.

Duane wrote:

The company is not completely "out of business".  It is true that it currently has no employees, but the service is still running, the contracts it has are still valid, and it has not filed for any form of bankruptcy.

The company is currently being managed by a trustee, and is seeking a buyer.

Is the office still there?

Or are you working at home?  I guess you always did, as I recall.

The former Chumby office is now occupied by Technicolor, along with most of the former Chumby employees.

As mentioned elsewhere, the servers are all hosted on Amazon.

Most of the Chumby stuff besides furniture and fixtures was put into storage - I snagged several dozen devices and other misc electronics, with the hope that I could go through the pile, see what's working, and use them to assist folks with dead devices.

I left Technicolor a few weeks ago - I am now an independent "CTO for hire", working with a couple of local startups.

Keep up the good work and thanks for fighting the good fight!
All the best of luck to you and whom ever picks you up as CTO will be very happy and lucky to get you!
viva la Chumby...

Duane wrote:

The former Chumby office is now occupied by Technicolor, along with most of the former Chumby employees.

As mentioned elsewhere, the servers are all hosted on Amazon.

Most of the Chumby stuff besides furniture and fixtures was put into storage - I snagged several dozen devices and other misc electronics, with the hope that I could go through the pile, see what's working, and use them to assist folks with dead devices.

I left Technicolor a few weeks ago - I am now an independent "CTO for hire", working with a couple of local startups.

I'm in north county.  I would love to buy you a beer for everything you've done for the community and myself over the last few years.  If you're ever in the area, PM or e-mail me.  I also likely know some people you know.  A few employees for the company I work for worked for Chumby at one point or another.

I don't think your skills would fit at the company I work for, but if you're interested, let me know and I can get you in contact with our marketing guy to see if there's something for you.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Marketing guy?

Is there someplace we can donate you a couple bucks, Duane?

Duane wrote:

Marketing guy?

Our company is small so our "marketing guy" has other responsibilities, including some of the initial hiring work with our HR.  His main role is marketing though.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker