Topic: We've all got paperweights now!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/20/29630 … ology-sold

2 (edited by zurk 2012-04-20 12:29:33)

Re: We've all got paperweights now!

lol. well i did call it correctly a month or two ago.
my offline firmware will keep working regardless and the chumby servers will work until the summer.
in the meantime i guess if you want to keep the platform working download the offline firmware, customize it and download the widgets you want.
note that some widgets may not work once the chumby servers go down. you have to make sure the widgets dont reference the chumby servers in any way or any external servers. i've patched all the ones included in the offline firmware like skyhappenings. good way to test is to disconnect your internet connection (power off the modem or whatever) and make sure the widgets keep working once you do that.
recommend you guys save the link to the offline firmware(s) you want. once the forums go away the posts here will go away too.

Also, offline firmware v9.0 is out for anyone interested.

There are currently no plans or schedule to shut down the service.

just to clarify... the article said the network would keep running until the summer. im assuming that came from the former CEO. is that correct ? or is there enough funds to keep the service running past the summer of this year ?

I didn't write the article, nor can I speak for the former CEO.

well..i wish you guys all the best at technicolor or wherever you guys are at now.
unlike other startups (like framechannel or whatever) you guys gave us enough time so we dont have to throw our chumbies out past the shutdown date.
and i think all of us appreciate that. i know i do anyway. good luck w/your future endeavors.

Hey, I'm not going anywhere unless they kick me out smile

I'm actually here at least an hour a day dealing with support issues (at least the ones I can deal with), clearing out the spammers (you guys don't see most of it, and thanks also to Doktor Jones) and doing various other things.

My task this weekend is to fix Blue Octy Radio stations, since one of these guys was kind enough to fix the admin console for it.

DWAIN THIS NEWS IS DISHEARTENING TO ZOLTAR. ZOLTAR WOULD LIKE TO CRY THE TEARS OF A MILLION BABY GOATS FOR THIS.

MAYBE ZOLTAR BUY CHUMBY NETWORK, AND CALL IT "ZOLT-NET". I HAVE INVESTORS AND BONORS.

ERROR ZOLTAR MEANED "DONORS'

rofl

11 (edited by bobsz 2012-04-20 19:05:27)

@Duane- I can't say it as well as Zoltar, but thanks for keeping the lights burning. I really appreciate the fact that you're still going to try to stick around. Netscape went broke, but it started something that completely changed the web. Seems ironic that back then Microsoft was the big monolith, and now Google (Android) tramples anything in their way.

I picked a great week to buy my first chumby:)- So hello...and goodbye...well not goodbye as I am loving the devices (a pair of info 3.5s) and am going full on into deving them up as useful linux devices. I have wuickly gotten up to speed on the offline firmware efforts and am moving towards making these device not tied to a central server for usefulness.

Having gone thru the forums over the last few days I want to give a big huge THANK YOU  to Duane who as far as I can see has been the one man crusade for keeping chumby.com relevant and for being an amazing resource for its users. You are a good man and deserve much praise. When the offical end for the company is at hand you should meet it with head held high.

So now I am off to play with Zurk's efforts and see what tweekings I will have to make to the bits of code I have been working on over the last two days.  All hail to open projects that are not made  paperweights when the corps go down. I also believe in the users...and thats a good thing indeed.

-tom

@zurk - How does one download widgets into you local Chumby?  I have a few I'd miss if/when the lights go out on Chumby.com.

start with the forum threads for your device. in short it involves editing an xml file and downloading the widgets with wget.