Re: Why does this have to be so ##@&$@$! difficult?

We could offer better assistance if you posted a transcript showing exactly what you typed and the
resulting error message... too much information is lost in the translation.

The command is just 'mount', the leading % was my command prompt.

I'd wager that you have an NTFS file system without user mappings configured.  You'll want to fix that.

You have to forgive me,  I'm a Linux newby.

mount yields:

/dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/chris/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=chris)
chris@chris-desktop:~$ dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

cd /home/chris/
chown -R chris chumby-oe

produced many lines that looked like this:

chown: changing ownership of `chumby-oe/bitbake/doc/bitbake.1': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `chumby-oe/bitbake/doc/COPYING.MIT': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `chumby-oe/bitbake/doc': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `chumby-oe/bitbake/MANIFEST.in': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `chumby-oe/bitbake': Operation not permitted

28 (edited by guyc 2012-04-17 20:08:10)

Arg, my bad, chown can only be run as root.
You'll have to su to root before you run those two commands.
Looks like you have ext4, not NTFS, so stick with plan A, which
should look something like this:

su -
<enter root password when prompted>
cd /home/chris
chown -R chris chumby-oe
exit

Exit should return you back to your regular user.

All righty.  tried

cd ~/chumby-oe
sudo make

got:

chris@chris-desktop:~$ cd ~/chumby-oe
chris@chris-desktop:~/chumby-oe$ sudo make
bitbake chumby-dev-image 2>&1 | tee build.log
Loading cache...done.
Loaded 7177 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes...NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support bluez-libs because bluez-libs 3.x has been replaced by bluez4
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support ffmpeg because libav is the preferred multimedia library
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support fso-apm because regular apmd is good enough
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support hotplug-ng because hotplug functionality is provided by udev
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support bluez-libs because bluez-libs 3.x has been replaced by bluez4
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support libiconv because the glibc builtin iconv replacement is used
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support hotplug-ng because hotplug functionality is provided by udev
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support ffmpeg because libav is the preferred multimedia library
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support xcursor-watchonly-theme because xcursor-transparent-theme is good enough
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support bluez-utils because bluez-utils 3.x has been replaced by bluez4
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support ipkg because ipkg has been superseded by opkg
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support linux-hotplug because hotplug functionality is provided by udev
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support libiconv because the glibc builtin iconv replacement is used
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support bluez-utils because bluez-utils 3.x has been replaced by bluez4
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support hotplug2 because hotplug functionality is provided by udev
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support bash-noemu because doesn't work on the target
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support bluez-libs because bluez-libs 3.x has been replaced by bluez4
NOTE: angstrom DOES NOT support linux-hotplug because hotplug functionality is provided by udev
done.
Parsing of 7367 .bb files complete (6550 cached, 817 parsed). 8015 targets, 377 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
ERROR:  Openembedded's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
    Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker (see sanity.conf).
    Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

Do not use Bitbake as root.
ERROR: Command execution failed: Exited with 1

Tried:

chris@chris-desktop:~$ cd /home/chris
chris@chris-desktop:~$ sudo chown -R chris chumby-oe
[sudo] password for chris:
chris@chris-desktop:~$ sudo cd ~/chumby-oe

result was that it waited a second and returned a command prompt.

OK Now i tried

make

no error...yet.

OK.  I'm at 4974 of 6587.  I guess that's a good thing.

While I have your attention (and may I add, Thank You Very Much!), how do I use recipes and how do I get a silvermoon image?

WOOHOOOOOOO!  It worked!  I think...  we got to the end with no errors and I found an image file in the depths of the deploy folder - I'm hoping that wasn't there before I started.

So, how can I compile silvermoon?????

The top level makefile contains this line:

export MACHINE:=chumby-falconwing

Change that to:

export MACHINE:=chumby-silvermoon

Recipes are defined recursively.  Add packages by editing the image-level bitbake receipe
files which are in chumby-oe/meta-chumby/recipes/images.   So if your makefile
says

export CHUMBY_IMAGE:=chumby-dev-image

you should edit chumby-oe/meta-chumby/recipes/images/chumby-dev-image.bb

Add new packages to the end of the IMAGE_INSTALL list like this:

IMAGE_INSTALL = "task-base \
            ${ANGSTROM_EXTRA_INSTALL} \
            ${SPLASH} \
            ${ZZAPSPLASH} \
            config-util regutil-${CNPLATFORM} \
            task-native-sdk \
            libgcc-dev \
            ldd \
            i2c-tools \
            i2c \
            python \
            python-pyserial \
            lua5.1 \
            "

The available OE packages are defined in chumby-oe/openembedded/recipes/.  It can be a bit tricky to figure out exactly how to specify the package.  For example there is no "lua5.1.bb" file in chumby-oe/openembedded/recipes/lua, but there is "lua5.1_5.1.4.bb" which I believe is what gets used when lua5.1 is specified a package - bitbake is crafty like that.

Sadly, the infocast 8 doesn't want to get past "testing the touchscreen..."

Maybe infocast 8 needs a different ROM image???

I'm assuming you now have a silvermoon kernel?  I would suggest trying a "make clean" to delete all of the build products created by the falconwing build, then "make" to rebulid for silvermoon.  Might not solve the problem, but eliminates one possible cause.

Did "make clean"  then "make".

Result the splendid Angstrom logo and a successful bootup.

Asante sana, Bwana!

Great job!  Like all good sagas, it was looking a bit doubtful there in the middle!

Next challenge.

I tried the wlan-image on silvermoon.  I got this error:

Collected errors:
|  * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for rt2870:
|  *     kernel-module-led-class *
|  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package rt2870.
|  * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /home/chris/chumby-oe/output-angstrom-.9/rootfs/chumby-wlan-image/etc/device_table is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /home/chris/chumby-oe/output-angstrom-.9/rootfs/chumby-wlan-image/etc/device_table-opkg.
NOTE: package chumby-wlan-image-1.0-r0: task do_rootfs: Failed
ERROR: Function 'do_rootfs' failed (see /home/chris/chumby-oe/output-angstrom-.9/work/chumby-silvermoon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/chumby-wlan-image-1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.2222 for further information)
ERROR: Task 14 (/home/chris/chumby-oe/meta-chumby/recipes/images/chumby-wlan-image.bb, do_rootfs) failed with exit code '1'
ERROR: '/home/chris/chumby-oe/meta-chumby/recipes/images/chumby-wlan-image.bb' failed

Any ideas?

Hmmm - cause is not obvious to me.  There is probably a more detailed error message earlier in the build log - that is just the final summary.   The output from the last make is saved in chumby-oe/build.log.

In the absence of a better suggestion, you might try "make clean" to force the kernel to be reconfigured and rebuilt.
My own effort to reproduce this error failed in this way.  Looks like another source package changed.

ERROR: The checksums for "/home/guy/chumby-oe/sources/connman-0.72.tar.gz" did not match.
  MD5: expected "800f9356e0471c88819eee7184713a1f", got "0f46cf553300d745e64738292b9b395d"
  SHA256: expected "9c8ad312573683fc9f50d5042d4a87ddc8e0700b27ac1b0fb8dc2e8b7424a60f", got "097ed6374880bcf4e331d7c786e29d3ad2be802fa57a3e5c6fdaa7bd955062ec"

NOTE: package connman-0.72-r1: task Fetch failed: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/network/connman/connman-0.72.tar.gz checksum mismatch.: Failed
ERROR: Function 'Fetch failed: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/network/connman/connman-0.72.tar.gz checksum mismatch.' failed
ERROR: Task 379 (/home/guy/chumby-oe/openembedded/recipes/connman/connman_0.72.bb, do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'

Once I resolve this I'll look some more.

I am able to reproduce the same error you are seeing.  The difference between the silvermoon and falconwing kernel builds is greater than I expected.

Comparing the logs from the kernel modules builds side by side I see that rt2x00leds isn't built for Silvermoon,
which makes me wonder if the led class is even needed.  I'll poke around a bit more...

CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00dev.o                 CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00dev.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00mac.o                 CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00mac.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00config.o              CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00config.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00queue.o               CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00queue.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00crypto.o              CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00crypto.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00firmware.o            CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00firmware.o
                                                              >   CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00leds.o
  LD [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00lib.o                 LD [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00lib.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00usb.o                 CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00usb.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500usb.o                 CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500usb.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.o                   CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.o

I've confirmed that you can get a clean Silvermoon wlan build if you remove the kernel-module-led-class dependency from meta-chumby/recipes/rt2870/rt2870.bb.  Just delete the entire line as shown in the diff.

I've added a silvermoon branch in github to preserve these lessons.  It would be better to make the rt2870 module auto-configuring - another day. 

To test this I did "make reallyclean" which forces a complete rebuild.  I'm not sure if that is necessary, but if you do not get a clean build after making this change you should probably do that to force a clean slate.  The cost is a full, slow, rebuild.  I don't have Silvermoon hardware to test against, so please let me know how you go.  Getting wireless to work on a secure network takes a bit of configuration.

I also committed this change with new checksums for connman.

Outstanding!  I will probably get to this tomorrow or Sunday and let you know how it goes.

It worked!  I had to do make reallyclean, but I got an executable image from the wlan image.  Now I have to learn wifi on linux.

There are some issues, but I think they are hardware related -ie - the screen on the infocast does not scroll, there is a really weird error about "unexpected data read interrupts when no data being read" that only happens when I load on 4 gig or bigger sd cards (it also happens with the original images).  I'll see about sorting them out.

Many thanks.

So again I'm playing, and playing leads to questions.

I wanted to combine the wlan image with the dev image - I really want to ssh into the infocast to program and control it.  So I pasted everything after regutil-config from the dev image onto the wlan image and added python, pyserial, and lua.  The development stuff works, but I've yet to get the wifi stuff working.  If I try "iwconfig wlan0" I get "no such device".  I do get results for "mlan0", but not what i want.  mlan0????  what's that?

I also have been unable to do much with wifi for the CHB.  It doesn't want to recognize the wifi dongle - I've used a dongle from a chumby one as well as other's that are supposed to work.  I figure that I may need to update the drivers using the instructions from the Lady Ada CHB tutorial, but I'm not sure if they'll work with OE.

Here's a question I know you can answer.  Where do I find the sources for the addons to the image - ie, where is python and lua in the building process.  The reason I'm asking is that I wanted to know what other cool software may be available to add on.  Node.js looks good, for instance.

I have to say I'm having fun, although this is often infuriating in that there is no central source of information available, just bits and pieces here and there.  Like a scavenger hunt...

For wifi, the first step is to identify the chipset is in your dongle so you can load the right driver.  TP-Links from adafruit have either a  RT73 (earlier models) or RT2800 (later model has a green led inside case).  I think the stock kernel has RT73 drivers, and the wlan build adds RT2800 drivers.  If you have some other chipset you may need to make some changes to that recipe.

WRT add-ons, the available packages are defined in the  openembedded/recipes.  Some of the directories there define multiple packages, so poke around. 

You might also like to add advanced findolgy to your unix skill set - to print the line and filename of every bb file with the word "foo" that is in a subdirectory of your current working directory you can type "find . -type f -name '*.bb' -exec grep -i foo {} \; -print".  Elegant, right? :-)

Here's where I'm at with wifi.

I tried

# iwpriv mlan0 setregioncode 0×10
# ifconfig mlan0 up
# iwconfig mlan0 mode managed

then:
# iwlist mlan0 scanning

which listed all the WAPs nearby, so I know the wifi works.

then I tried:

# iwconfig mlan0 essid "2WIRE559"

but got:

Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
SET failed on device mlan0 ; Connection refused

So I know wifi works, but I can't connect to the internet.  I have a WPA connection, so I know it's complicated, but the crows ate the breadcrumb trail and I'm lost...

WHOA!  SO MANY FILES...  I wish I knew what a tenth of them did.  I did find node.js, though.  I wonder if I could get cloud9 to work?

Good that you seem to have drivers set up okay.  Looks like you have a Marvell chipset.  I use wpa_supplicant for wifi configuration on my chb.  This post shows the configuration files that you need to set up:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=39145#p39145

If you get these two files set up correctly, you should get wifi active and connected automatically after each boot.

No joy :<

I basically cut and pasted your code:

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# /etc/network/interfaces
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface mlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    wpa-driver wext

# /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
# To generate the psk key:
# wpa_passphrase networkname password
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
network={
        ssid="2WIRE559"
        scan_ssid=1
        proto=WPA RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP TKIP
        group=TKIP

psk=4c80f847a988fdfe05e55a09efff78fb27846ea27a28e056100ca45565e26ce5
}

I made a few changes based on "iwlist mlan0 scanning" essid, psk (based on wpa_passphrase) and changed group=CCMP TKIP to group=TKIP

No good.  Going to bed!