Topic: uboot for chumby one / insignia 3.5"

First of all, congratulations everyone that developed/had a chumby device. It is a great piece of hardware with a set of useful software and looks great as a clock/fm turner...

But I want to go a little bit further:

It is possible to replace the chumby bootstream with a vanilla u-boot / barebox bootloader that supports this device ( in both cases mainlined ); then booting a standard linux distro (as archlinuxarm, armedslack or debian) is really easy. I've installed barebox & armedslack & everything works fine with the chumby-falconwing kernel. I've followed the "official" barebox scheme here -> http://barebox.org/documentation/barebo … byone.html and create the following partitions:

1: bootstream (barebox)
2: barebox enviroment
3: chumby kernel
4: armedslack rootfs

The bootloader works ok and I can to perform some trivial if..else setences to look for an usb-device with a valid kernel and boot from it. Now I want to create a partition schema that lets me 1) having my own bootloader ( barebox in my case) 2) with custom enviroment vars 3) that lets me choose between "chumby os" or "gnu/linux distro" 4) of using the presence of a usb-storage device as a switch.

I've loocked at init sequence of the chumby and it seems to be pretty normal. I just need to delete non-needed vars (as firmware restoration/upgrade) and change some /mnt/storage & /psp references and modify /etc/fstab accordly.

Now, my questions are:

Are chumby scripts relying on a fixed address to /dev/mmcblk0p5 & /dev/mmcblk0p6 to handle /psp & /mnt/storage partitions?
Which of chumby's rootfs needs to be mounted ( there are two copies in the sd-card ) ?

Thanks in advance!

Re: uboot for chumby one / insignia 3.5"

There are two copies that are ping-ponged to support "safe mode".  For Chumby 1, during a firmware update, the device updates the "other" partition, and once verified, marks it as the "primary" partition, reboots in to it, then updates the previous "primary" partition.  The boot code keeps track of which is currently marked as primary.

On the Classic, the two partitions are heterogenous - the "safe mode" partition is substantially smaller and the update code a bit trickier as a result.

You can partition however you like.