Topic: Screen "pulses" on chumby 8

When I have anything with a dark background loaded on my new C8, it produces fairly dramatic "pulsing" of white lines running through the display.  I've tried another power supply, one that fit the Insignia 8, but it still produces the same results.  The reason I thought it might be a power supply issue, is that when I fiddle with the end-point I can see it is affecting the issue, and sometimes I can "tune" it into less of a problem, but it never goes away completely and is unpredictable for the most part.  I've also tried moving it to different locations to see it was an interference problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I had it where I have other chumbies that run just fine and it still had the issue.

Any ideas?

-dev

Re: Screen "pulses" on chumby 8

Perhaps the power port on the PCB is loose (cold solder joint)? I am with you, I would have thought power issue, as in the unit is not getting all the current it needs to work correctly (or there is a voltage drop due to a poor connection). If this is a new unit, perhaps contact Chumby to see if they can warranty it.

burkhardi wrote:

Perhaps the power port on the PCB is loose (cold solder joint)? I am with you, I would have thought power issue, as in the unit is not getting all the current it needs to work correctly (or there is a voltage drop due to a poor connection). If this is a new unit, perhaps contact Chumby to see if they can warranty it.

Thank you for your response.  Yes it is new, from woot.  I'll drop support a line.

The device I seemed to notice this on was the Sony Dash... Had some other issue with the C8 which resolved with a replacement PS cord...

joltdude wrote:

The device I seemed to notice this on was the Sony Dash... Had some other issue with the C8 which resolved with a replacement PS cord...

That would be nice if it was that simple.  Thanks for the tip.

What do I do to contact support?  This is a real bummer.  I've always been very supportive of chumby.  I have brand new device that is partial strobe light.

Please advise as I have had no response from support.

-dev

7 (edited by cbreeze 2012-01-28 11:29:48)

Nothing?

Sent in new request: LTK495098229014X

-dev

I'm working on the support issue with management.

Duane wrote:

I'm working on the support issue with management.

I'm sure you're swamped, but any word?  I really, really would love to keep my C8.

-dev

I've escalated it, waiting for a response.

Duane wrote:

I've escalated it, waiting for a response.

Thank you Duane.  I appreciate it.

-dev

Hate to hijack this thread but hoping it might make it easier as I have the exact same issue and purchased from the same sale on woot.com. I have emailed support but have yet to receive a response. Here are my tickets:

LTK495098301733X
LTK4950102543381X

Please, escalate my issue as well.

Thanks!

I have an unsettling feeling in my stomach regarding the support issues.  Something is just not ringing true.  The support at chumby used to be stellar.  I'm guessing the department was let go without forethought and now we the consumers are going to be left holding the bag. 

And to be clear, I understand this has nothing to do with you Duane, so it's not aimed at you what-so-ever, but since the management change it's been nothing but downhill.

-dev

@cbreeze- Boy, I wish I'd followed this thread more carefully before I ordered my "last chance" C8 at sellout woot, after all these (possibly)  bad c8's went out at the reular woot. Can't imagine what I'll be ending up with when it finally comes. About your thoughts on support- I've tried to find a good way to contact CEO Derrick Oien. He used to have a Chumby Blog, but hasn't written since August. Hopefully, there's some support folks left someplace.

My last-batch red Chumby8 from Woot has been working fine (knocking on my desk!)

Don't give up too soon ... my black C8 from the last batch on Woot is working great, too!

The C8 I just got from the last Sellout-Woot is working fine. I did have trouble activating it, and feared I'd be in Support Limbo like cbreeze and others. Happily, I got it activated eventually. But I sure hope Duane does get some help with Support from CEO Oien's "management." I happened on to the fact that Chumby 8s just started selling briskly in Russian "electronic boutique" stores. (Price 7990 rubles.) Maybe that's where support went! The Russian site has support contacts listed. I actually tried to sign in with my Chumby passwords just out of curiosity, but it didn't work.

I guess it's time to pack it back up.  I really hope that woot will not give me the run around on the return.  I'll have to admit that I am very very disappointed.  I've spent a lot of time developing on the chumby platform and really wanted a C8 for historical purposes since they will no longer be available.  Guess it's just bad luck on my part.

That's one thing I really appreciated about Steve of old (past CEO).  At least he would communicate every once in awhile with the user base.  Between the changes on the front page and little things like the 'featured widgets' being chosen based on brand and what looks like games created or contracted by chumby (based on refreshing the apps page a number of times) makes me realize that we don't count much (both developer and user) in the upper management's eyes.  That's a real shame and leaves a scar on the great things that were taking place before.  It's also indicitve of the "crash and burn" CEO.  It's about personal gain, not the actual company.  Been there, done that.

My 2 cents, as usual.  Good luck.

-dev