Topic: Bad news for the Dash

Just got this email from Sony.  I wonder how long they'll maintain their support for actually using the Dash devices.

Dear dash(TM) developer,

Thank you very much for your interest in the development of applications for the Sony dash(TM). Beginning February 29, 2012, the Sony dash(TM) developer website (http://dash.sonydeveloper.com/) will close and no longer support development of new applications. This closure includes the dash(TM) developer forum and dash(TM) developer support email address (dash-support@sonydeveloper.com) which will close on March 31, 2012. Sony dash(TM) applications will remain available. Thank you for your contributions and we encourage you to continue your development activity on Sony's other platforms available at SonyDeveloper.com.

Again, thank you very much,

Team dash(TM)

Re: Bad news for the Dash

Shame.. I actually have a Sony Dash.. I like some of the propriatary/licensed apps on it...
So hopefully those will still be around.. wish they didnt throw the baby out with the bathwater however..

Some examples of Dash only apps that are really nice... the Accuweather clock (7 day forecast display) and the Navteq traffic... Could do without the Netflix and Amazon but nice to have them as well..

Oddly enough, I find I use the Dash more as an ambient device, and the chumbys (oem) as an interactive device...

Got my pink slip as well. smile

Developing for the dash was ridiculous, not only because of the platform, which was a drastic variation from the other chumbies, but the support on Sony's side was almost non-existent.  Don't even get me started on the back-end for the developers...

I had high hopes for the dash, but as joltdude said, I barely interact with mine.  I enjoy having netflix available, but that's about it.

-dev

Is there any chance of being able to flash the Dash with Chumby firmware?

No - the dash is a completely closed and locked down device.  Even we are unable to flash them.  Sorry.

unwiredben wrote:

Just got this email from Sony.  I wonder how long they'll maintain their support for actually using the Dash devices.

Dear dash(TM) developer,   (snip)

This is not unknown for them. Does anyone remember the Sony MYLO? I have one of these. I should have known when I got it for 50% off refurbished in a Sony factory outlet. The developers web page and user support went belly up about six months after I bought it a few years ago.

Brian

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Ill get one, How about the Sony Emarker, which they *paid* you to send the device back to them...
(eMarker was similar to the current Tag on IBOC/HD Radio) You hit the button and it recorded the time, and uploaded it to their servers and matched it with a program guide to see (what was playing) and you could buy the song..