Topic: Compiled Kernel not booting help please.

I have a Infocast 8, and I'm following the instructions found, here for the silvermoon
http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Hackin … 0.3_kernel

except I'm using this for the sources.
http://files.chumby.com/source/silvermo … 2.6.28.tgz

I'm also adding nfsv3 to the kernel, as I'd like to play my pictures from my nfs share.  The problem is that when trying to boot my new kernel my chumby sits at "Please wait" indefinitely.

This faq seems outdated. Is there a newer version of the toolchain/faq?  What might I be doing wrong?

Here's the difference between my failling config and the config I pulled form /proc/config.gz of a functioning kernel.  I guess I should also mention that I moved the original /boot/vmlinuz  to /boot/vmlinuz.orig instead of blindly overwriting it (but that shouldn't make too much of a difference).
chiluk@blackandblue:~/chumby/linux-2.6.28$ diff -u ../config .config
--- ../config    2012-01-03 01:49:29.683916000 -0600
+++ .config    2012-01-03 01:51:07.095916804 -0600
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.28
-# Thu Dec  9 12:54:18 2010
+# Tue Jan  3 01:51:07 2012
#
CONFIG_ARM=y
CONFIG_SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION=y
@@ -1494,9 +1494,11 @@
# CONFIG_NFS_V4 is not set
# CONFIG_ROOT_NFS is not set
CONFIG_NFSD=y
-# CONFIG_NFSD_V3 is not set
+CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
+# CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_NFSD_V4 is not set
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
+CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_EXPORTFS=y
CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y

Re: Compiled Kernel not booting help please.

I guess I should also mention that I replaced both versions of the /boot/vmlinuz, and that I'm using this build string.
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux- make

I'm also a bit confused as to why no faq mentions copying modules over.  That seems strange to me.  As modules are built during the build process.

Alright I just built the kernel without any config modifications, and it seems to boot fine.   Has anyone been able to successfully build nfs_v3 mount support into the kernel?  I already have gotten busybox to compile properly.

Alright well I see that I can use nfsv2 with the -nolock,vers=2 without issue, but I'm still curious why I couldn't get my built kernel to function.

trick is to do a "sync" command after copying over the new zImage to /boot/vmlinuz.  the sync command updates the bootblock to point to the new inode of the new kernel.  otherwise you'll just hang.

desidude2000 wrote:

trick is to do a "sync" command after copying over the new zImage to /boot/vmlinuz.  the sync command updates the bootblock to point to the new inode of the new kernel.  otherwise you'll just hang.

"the sync command updates the bootblock to point to the new inode of the new kernel." ???!!!!!!

Did the chumby people rewrite sync, because standard linux sync does not do that.  That's insane.

My guess is simply that the nfsv3 parts in the chumby kernel are so broken as to make it not boot, or simply that the nfsv3 kernel has dependencies on something else in userspace.

We didn't rewrite sync.

chiluk wrote:

My guess is simply that the nfsv3 parts in the chumby kernel are so broken as to make it not boot, or simply that the nfsv3 kernel has dependencies on something else in userspace.

this is not true.  I have client side NFSv3 working now on chumby.

chumby-29-53-95:~ # ls -ld /boot/vmlinuz*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       2292468 Jan  5 10:43 /boot/vmlinuz
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       2260288 Jul  7 13:10 /boot/vmlinuz.orig

you turned on NFSD_V3 in the config.  you need to turn on NFS_V3 for the client side NFSv3 support (not the NFSD for daemon/server side support).

CONFIG_NFS_V3=y

i can send you my vmlinuz/zImage with NFSv3 client side support if you like.  I've been turning on other stuff in the kernel as well and it's working fine.

chumby-29-53-95:~ # mount -o nolock,vers=3 192.168.0.10:/data/videos /mnt/nfs
chumby-29-53-95:~ # ls /mnt/nfs
documentries  kids          movies        ptran         serials       tv

9 (edited by chiluk 2012-01-05 15:01:28)

Woops good catch on the nfs<D>  .  I'm still a bit confused as to why make menuconfig is autoselecting LOCKD_V4.   That just doesn't seem right.  It also gets set if you simply do a make oldconfig after turning on NFS3.