1 (edited by Steevo 2011-10-18 20:11:57)

Topic: You guys are gonna think I am a real nut.

You guys are gonna think I am a real nut.
I went back and found one more Infocast 3.5 at that place.

So now I have 4 chumbys.   Gee whiz.

So anyway, the first three are working except the Infocast 8 which has a blank music channel.  I posted another thread about that. 

The latest one is an Infocast 3.5. 

Let me just say I was using an Airlink access point, but that thing was crashing several times a day.  So i got rid of in and I now have an engenius ECB3220, an excellent device.  It's up and working with the same SSID and WEP key.

I powered the last chumby up and it saw it's network.  I gave it the wep key and it says the connection succeeded.  But then, it goes back to the network selection menu again. 

I gave it a static IP like I did the other one.  It succeeded again, then went back to the same network selection screen.  I am going around in circles.

I just typed the SSID for it and gave it a static IP.  Connecting to network. Chugging.
No dice.  Neither of the 3.5" units at this location are connecting.  For some reason the 8" unit in the other room didn't miss a beat, I changed the ap and it connected to the new one just like it was always there.  Hmm.

So both units say chumby.com is unreachable.

Just to be interesting here are logs from the access point. 

0day 01:07:50 wlan0: A wireless client is associated - D8:5D:4C:8F:16:66
0day 01:08:22 wlan0: A wireless client is deauthenticated - D8:5D:4C:8F:16:66
0day 01:08:24 wlan0: A wireless client is associated - D8:5D:4C:8F:16:66
0day 01:09:07 wlan0: A wireless client is deauthenticated - D8:5D:4C:8E:F8:1D
0day 01:09:08 wlan0: A wireless client is associated - D8:5D:4C:8E:F8:1D
0day 01:09:28 wlan0: A wireless client is deauthenticated - D8:5D:4C:8F:16:66
0day 01:09:30 wlan0: A wireless client is associated - D8:5D:4C:8F:16:66
0day 01:09:42 wlan0: A wireless client is deauthenticated - D8:5D:4C:8E:F8:1D
0day 01:09:43 wlan0: A wireless client is associated - D8:5D:4C:8E:F8:1D
0day 01:10:02 wlan0: A wireless client is deauthenticated - D8:5D:4C:8F:16:66
0day 01:10:04 wlan0: A wireless client is associated - D8:5D:4C:8F:16:66

I went back and put the new on on automatic IP, and I can see it getting an IP from DHCP in the AP.  But it fails to connect.   It says "Connecting to network" for a while, and I can see it in the DHCP client table by MAC address.  But is it never successful.  It associates, then 14 or 20 seconds later it is deauthenticated for some reason. 

I have checked the WEP key. 
I used the same exact ap with my laptop just now and no problems.
So the AP and the internet are verified as working on wireless.
I just dunno.

2 (edited by Steevo 2011-10-18 20:27:47)

Re: You guys are gonna think I am a real nut.

The new unit, said "chumby.com is unreachable.  I touched back, gave it a static IP and the rest of it's info, and it "connected successfully".  I clicked OK and it blinked, now it's back to "New or existing connection".  Same as before.

Wellm, now this is interesting.
The first unit has a confirm settings screen,

name:
auth: WEPAUTO encryption: WEP
key:
static ip allocation: 
and so on.

The second unit has about the same screen, but the third line, key: is missing.
The rest is all the same between the units.

What would account for that?  Is there a variation in software versions that the new one shows the WEP key in the clear and the old one does not?

If the key is not in there even though I did put it in that would explain why it won't connect, but neither unit will connect now.  Dunno why.

I just put the setting in the unit again and this time on the setting screen it does list the key as the third line, in the clear. 

This is bizarre.

-Steevo

Come see me in support again, we will try and work through the connection issues here.

-chumbyross

After the support session this morning I was making no progress.  Not sure why.

When I got home I had these two Infocast 3.5 units both saying "chumby.com is unreachable".  So I told both to connect.  The first one, connected, then said downloading control panel, then finally said again, "chumby.com is unreachable".  The second unit didnt' connect, and also said "chumby.com is unreachable".

So I dunno.  I am gonna change out the access point again for the other one I was using which for some reason was crashing and had to be power cycled.

I swapped back to the Airlink access point and it's working. Not that this is a good solution, that thing is lousy.

But what could be different between two access points?  They were setup the same and I just swapped them. No differences at all.

I don't get it.

OK.  I got nowhere with the Engenius ECB-3220 access points, I tried two of them.  I have to say Engenius seems to be very strong wireless networking, but it sure doesn't work with Chumby at all afaict.  And I defaulted the thing, used it without any security, with WEP, with WPA, nothing worked with Chumby.  Everything worked with a windows XP laptop.

The airlink AP421W access point worked better but is bad hardware or software and crashes constantly.  Has to be power cycled to work again. Not a good solution.

I originally had a router with DDWRT software on it but I had trouble getting it to be a bridged AP.  It was fine as a router and I used it for that a long time to route my WAN. But it gave me trouble as an AP.  So I was trying those other units.

So tonight as a last resort I went back to the DDWRT unit as an AP only.  And it's working.  Works with the Chumbys (3.5 infocast units)  with WEP, and I didn't even have to tell them about it, I just set the SSID and WEP the same on the DDWRT unit and they are all working.

So what's up with Chumby and Engenius access points?  Weird.

Even the Infocast 8 in the other room (which mostly worked with the Engenius AP) is working, and the part that didn't work was the music and now that works too!

If I can only figure out how to put IHeartRadio on the Infocast 8!  I hear it's possible but maybe unsupported.

8 (edited by PlugNickel 2011-10-20 17:50:39)

Try WPA-PSK for encryption
At least I got the chumby one connected to an Engenius this way...