Topic: Infocast 8" touchscreen not working

I just bought a refurbished Insignia 8" Infocast. I cannot tap on the next button (or anything at all) when asked to select a wireless network. If I turn it off and hold my finger on the screen I can get to the calibration screen. No problem tapping four corners and center but when it tells me to drag the green ball I can't get the screen to respond to any inputs.

Is this hardware hosed or is there something else I can try?

Thanks for the advice!

Re: Infocast 8" touchscreen not working

Try using a stylus or other non-sharp pointy thing to do the calibration, and see if that helps.

If not, it's probably a bad touchscreen.

Thanks for that. I tried a stylus and got the same results. I contacted the seller and he told me I needed to push really hard but the screen will work.

I'm assuming it is incorrect. These screens are very responsive to light touches, right?

Well, these are resistive touchscreens, not capacitive like those on the iPhone/iPod/iPad, Android tablets, etc.

There are two membranes held apart by a grid of very tiny "nubs" - when you press, the two membranes touch and the device does a measurement of the electrical resistance between them.  It works best with a very small area of pressure, and it does take a bit more force than a capacitive touchscreen.

It sounds like your device is registering that touches are happening, but it's not properly measuring the resistance to determine *where* you're touching.