1 (edited by brianblank 2011-08-07 17:35:40)

Topic: Sony Dash Picture Frame

This should go on the Sony Dash site, but they aren't too welcoming to hacking their product.

We've had an old Kodak wifi 8" digital picture frame using the FrameChannel software hanging in our master bathroom for years as a nice device to catch up on the news and weather while we are getting ready in the morning. Unfortunately, the free  FrameChannel service was discontinued a few weeks ago and our "weather window" was rendered useless.  I began searching for a replacement and the choices were pretty limited. I almost pulled the trigger on a Chumby 8, but the price was holding me back. And just as I was about to pull the trigger, Sony put their refurb dash units on sale for $60, so I ordered one to check it out. After a few days of playing with it (and spending hours with Sony support to get an account setup) the unit was working great, but I didn't really like having the unit sitting on the counter in the bathroom, it was getting in the way and I was afraid something might spill on it. So I set out to try to find a way to mount it on the wall like our old digital picture frame.

After unsuccessfully scouring the stores for a picture frame that would fit the unit, I asked the custom frame counter at our local Michael's craft store if they could make a frame that would fit and more importantly how much it would cost. After explaining what the unit was and what I was trying to do the helpful woman behind the counter found a cheap, deep, aluminum frame that would work.  (Style 24-421, W: 7-1/4" H: 5:3/8", Vendor 090) I placed the order and few days later the frame arrived and after a little tweaking the unit fits perfectly!

Completed Unit

Steps:

I opened up the unit using Cubiclegnome's instructions.

I continued to disassembling  the unit, removing the speaker mount and the speakers from the mount, removed the wifi antenna.

Since I had removed the speaker frame, I hot glued the speakers into place. Reassemble the metal frame, PCA to the touch screen assembly and it should look something like this:

Reassembled Guts

The unit slides into the picture frame, however, my custom frame was about 1/8" too short, so I had to remove a piece of the rear edge of the frame with a Dremel to remove the interference to the button frame.

I also drilled 3 holes to access the Vol +, Vol - and Menu/Snooze button.  I hope to find some small plastic plungers to put in the holes, otherwise a paperclip or toothpick work just fine.

Moded frame top

Assemble the top piece of the frame and hang it on the wall and Viola a Sony Dash picture frame.

Complete Unit

The right angle power plug interferes with the frame a bit, so I cut down the housing to remove the interference.

Cut Down Plug

Plugged In

Now it hangs on our wall, programmed to turn on just before we wake up and turn back off around the time we normally leave for work.

Hung on the wall

Now if I'd only planned for this, I would have put a clock outlet in that location so the power cord didn't run across the wall.  Oh well, maybe in the next house.

Brian

p.s. PicasaWeb has been giving me fits, please let me know if the images aren't loading.

Re: Sony Dash Picture Frame

Nice work!

Re: Sony Dash Picture Frame

Some wiremold painted the same color as your wall or the white wiremold might be a way to hide it. id run it to the right and mount it almost next to the mirror and drop it, or leave it open above the plug