Topic: Events on Chumby8

Hi,

I tried to automate some neat things as described here, the events in /tmp/flashplayer.events seem to get consumed after the sighup but nothing happens..

Is this supposed to work on Chumby8 or is there another way?

Michael

Re: Events on Chumby8

Not at the moment - note that each "hack" on that page has a set of icons that indicate which devices they work on.

Which events are you attempting to use - perhaps we can prioritize them.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes I've seen the icons but hoped it's just the icon missing in the wiki wink

Nightmode off/on/dark (or ScreenManager to dim) is the main thing, thats it.
Want to bring the Chumby8 into my existing KNX-Homeautomation (presence-detectors&scenes) with probably only one running App: webpage.. , Starting a specific channel would also be nice at second stage.

Michael

Can I add a me too for having the NightMode events working? smile  I would swear they worked when I first got my chumby8, but it stopped with one of the updates.

Duane wrote:

Not at the moment - note that each "hack" on that page has a set of icons that indicate which devices they work on..

There is no icon for the 8-inch Chumby anywhere on the page, even though some of the "hacks" are valid for the C8. 

I really want the WidgetPlayer/setWidget event.  My home server can get information about an incoming phone call, and I would like it to be able to send a command to the Chumby, on an incoming phone call, to switch to a widget which can display the incoming phone call information.

+1 for the NightMode  events, I had this working with some scripts on the older C8 firmware.

Also, would also love to be able to launch a stream with this guy:

<event type="UserPlayer" value="play" comment="http://path.to.stream"/> 

I'll look into that - I'm currently messing with that part of the code anyway.

Just tested with 5.0.34 on the C8 firmware, and very cool, the UserPlayer event works now!  Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is still broken:

<event type="NightMode" value="on" comment="1"/>

My use case for the night mode event is two-part:

* I have a cron job set up to run every 15 minutes to turn on NightMode automatically.
* I have a httpd running on the chumby, which serves up a page of icon buttons, which will run small scripts to play/stop shoutcast streams, adjust volume, play a white noise mp3, reboot, and turn on/off night mode.  The cool thing is that I can set up the chumbrowser to launch the page, so I get a custom "control panel" that I can run from my smartphone or the chumby itself.

Basically, I am using the Chumby as a glorified alarm clock, and prefer the night mode clock all the time, unless I am showing the browser page.

Screenshot (from iPhone):

PunBB bbcode test

Hopefully, this is an easy thing to fix if/when you sit down and look at it.

(BTW, if anyone is interested, I will be happy to share the html/cgi scripts for the web page)

The NightMode event will be fixed in the next CP release.