Topic: Listening to Internet Radio Stations

Hi.
I'm a retailler of Chumby, and of course, many customers are asking me how to listen a web radio the easiest way.
I've found the "how to" into the wiki, but it is far from easy for everyone.
So is there now a widget (or anything else, no matters) that allows users to listen easily any web radio in the world?

Thanx for your help

Re: Listening to Internet Radio Stations

Whazup wrote:

Hi.
I'm a retailler of Chumby, and of course, many customers are asking me how to listen a web radio the easiest way.
So is there now a widget (or anything else, no matters) that allows users to listen easily any web radio in the world?

Thanx for your help

If specific internet radio stations/streams or music options are not already available in the chumby control panel you can use the My Streams option to add a custom stream providing the stream format is .mp3, .pls, .m3u or .ogg
More info here - http://www.chumby.com/pages/cp_music
Please feel free to come into a chat session or shoot us an email if you would like to know more.

Hi I am  from Australia and they  seem to only have wma for  internet radio for all the programs I wnat to play is there a work around

Chumbymatt wrote:
Whazup wrote:

Hi.

Thanx for your help

If specific internet radio stations/streams or music options are not already available in the chumby control panel you can use the My Streams option to add a custom stream providing the stream format is .mp3, .pls, .m3u or .ogg
More info here - http://www.chumby.com/pages/cp_music
Please feel free to come into a chat session or shoot us an email if you would like to know more.

Correct link: http://www.chumby.com/pages/cp_mystreams (one click away from the other link)

Matt Ross wrote:

Hi I am  from Australia and they  seem to only have wma for  internet radio for all the programs I wnat to play is there a work around

This is what I have found also. I have found a couple that work such as Triple J andSwitch 1197 in Brisbane.  They have to transmit in a compatible format.  This website http://www.adonline.id.au/radio/ has a list of radio stations.  If the station has the Winamp symbol next to it then you can listen on the chumby.

Wouldn't it be possible to develop a widget, where you can define lets say 3 to 5 stream sources (from the chumby internet radio stations/streams) and have a simple radio where you can select one of that stations?

If there is an additional on/off button (which then closes that web-radio stream) and a clock displayed, it'll be the perfect radio (-widget) for me!

kroete, since you can do some of those actions from background scripts, I've thought of making a little hardware addon for my chumby, giving it a wired remote to do some of those actions.  It also might be neat to make an iPhone app that gives you a remote view of the chumby and lets you send events.

I built a widget that does some of what kroete requests. There were eight buttons - seven selectable streams, and off, and a volume slider. There was no clock. The streams and icons for them were hardcoded. It wasn't particularly pretty, but it worked. I no longer use it; I've since switched to Sonos for audio.

If anyone wants the source just holler.

Brett

Biffel, your widget sounds interesting to me. Can you post the sources in here, I'll try to adapt it a little bit (any may ask for support in the community wink).

This would be exactly the widget I am looking for, perfect if it yould simply access "My Streams".

I've recovered the source off a somewhat dead hard disk and emailed to kroete; if anyone else wants it just holler.

Can you post the source here?  I am interested in using your widget for Chumby8/Infocast8 since it does not have MyStreams.

-Thx.

biffel wrote:

I've recovered the source off a somewhat dead hard disk and emailed to kroete; if anyone else wants it just holler.

I would like to get a copy of the source as well please.