Topic: Cant activate purchased an used infocast

i purchased this used infocast

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … K:MEWNX:IT

but now i cant activate it because the previous owner has already done so, any ideas on how i could reset the device?

cheers
arun

Re: Cant activate purchased an used infocast

arun4444 wrote:

i purchased this used infocast

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … K:MEWNX:IT

but now i cant activate it because the previous owner has already done so, any ideas on how i could reset the device?

cheers
arun

Arun:

Start the Infocast in Special Options mode and choose to reset it to factory settings. That should clear out the previous owner's data and allow you to activate as you please.

Regards,
Kent

Appreciate the quick response, did it a few times - but the 6 tentacled creature seems to have un-erasable memory.

The unique ID of the chumby is in the crypto chip and is not changed with a factory reset.  I remember seeing a post with somebody else in this situation and I believe Chumby's direction to the user was to contact the seller and have them delete the chumby from their account.  I'd contact Customer Support to see if they allow overrides or something.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

sad((((((

contacted insignia, hopefully they'll reply soon. frustrating - can't do much with my chumby.

@arun4444,

Come see us in customer support, we can remove the device from the previous owner's account for you.

- chumby customer support

I am in the same situation, bought a "open box" Infocast 8" on EBay and when I try to activate it says "Chumby ID already taken" and on the device is the previous username listed.
I tried the "Special Options" screen, but I have no option that says "Deactivate device", even thought he device usually connects to my Wifi just fine

@ChumbyRoss: "Come see us in customer support ...." - how/where do I get in touch with you?

Thanks,
Mike

I tried a few more times, and at some point it asked me to update the software.
Afterwards I had the new option "Deactivate Device" on the Special Options screen.

That worked!
Thanks,
Mike

I had the same problem with an open box model from best buy. I managed to find the deactivate option and deactivated it, which fixed the problem. I didn't have to explocitly update the firmware/whatever but perhaps it had already been done OTA.