Topic: Color of Chumby 8

I’ve seen black, red, and white Chumby 8 devices, but when I go to order one, I don't see a color choice. Am I missing that? Or is there just one color?

Mark

Re: Color of Chumby 8

I think the only one we're shipping initially is black.

The e-mail I received from ChumbyCo. said at the bottom:

* Available to order in red April 5th

So black is it until then.

Thanks!

Id really like one completely encased in Octy Blue (TM) smile Only black components being the ports smile

I think it be rather stylish in Red or Blue in the kitchen.. Gasp we finally have a touch computer for the kitchen... (Yes i miss the Audrey (wikipedia audrey by palm/3com)

Not sure why color is such a big deal. If you want a different color, tear it apart and paint it. It is good fun.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Some of us dont want to void the warranty by trying to open it and paint it.

And some of us have reached the age where we have realised that we just hate painting. Anything.
We have discovered that our expectations outreach our skills.

The issue of color is one of inventory management.  As we discovered with the Classic, which came in several color combinations, it's *very* tough to predict demand - we often ended up selling out or some colors and had a lot of other colors piled up - each one of the those tied up valuable capital that is hard to recover.

Would some sort of survey/preorder thing work to at least  mitigate the demand to get a sense of what would be popular and what wouldnt be..  Ask people on the forums what colors they are interested in, perhaps even showing a mockup of the color scheme, and then offer a preorder. when so many units are requested, fufill the order but produce a few extra according to the results of the survey on which colors were in demand..

11 (edited by Materdaddy 2011-05-11 13:39:31)

What's wrong w/ skinning it?  Less capital to have tied up in a stock of colors.

EDIT:

Link from the chumby site, for a few more bucks, you can have almost any color/pattern/design you want for your chumby 1 or your chumby 8:

http://www.skinit.com/search.php?global … ATE=comjct

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Skins usually look cheap and tawdry. At least for trying to wrap a solid color..
As an aside.. the only way to see what a skin should look like is to go in and manually create a custom skin and you can see the basic template.... there really needs to be better examples or actual product wrapped in vinyl or wtf they are using...