1 (edited by Marietto 2011-04-03 02:43:10)

Topic: Install Debian onto a USB stick and run in a chroot on the Infocast 8"

Hello to everyone,

I've tried to install Debian Lenny on the Infocast 8" and it worked. This is the whole story :

On Ubuntu 10.10 with VMWare

sudo apt-get install debootstrap
mkdir ~/debian-armel-bootstrap
sudo debootstrap --foreign --arch armel lenny ~/debian-armel-bootstrap
cd ~/debian-armel-bootstrap
sudo tar cvzf ../debian-armel-bootstrap.tar.gz *

Install onto the USB flash drive or USB hard drive with VMWare

cd /media/debian-armel
sudo tar xvzf ~/debian-armel-bootstrap.tar.gz
sync
umount /media/debian-armel

Run the second state on the Infocast 8 :

/usr/chumby/scripts/stop_control_panel

*** stopping control panel
*** killing registered flashplayer pid: 14552
Adobe FlashLite 3.1.7 Release (Version 9,1,122,0)- Chumby Industries (version 9 build 107-3548 [GCC 4.3.2])
Portions copyright (C) 2005-2010 Chumby Industries, Inc.
Built for: silvermoon; Features: Video ALSA ARM-optimizations
Build time: Thu 09Dec2010 1318
chumbyflashplayer.x: sending signal 15 (SIGTERM) to running instance 14552
chumbyflashplayer.x: registered instance 14552 appears to have terminated
*** killing control panel pid: 14485
btplay client v1.4.1.38.46
Connected to btplayd instance 14551
Got response: OK 100 quit
Matched request 100
Waiting 500ms for process to terminate
Continuing...
*** killing btplayd (SIGTERM): 18872
*** killing btplayd (SIGTERM): 14551
*** killing btplayd (SIGKILL): 18872
*** killing btplayd (SIGKILL): 14551

cd /mnt/usb3
chroot . /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage

Copy important /dev entries from the Infocast 8 filesystem to the Debian filesystem

cp -a /dev/fb* /mnt/usb3/dev/
cp -a /dev/tty* /mnt/usb3/dev/
cp -a /dev/pts* /mnt/usb3/dev/
mkdir -p /mnt/usb3/dev/input/
cp -a /dev/input/* /mnt/usb3/dev/input/

mount -o bind /proc /mnt/usb3/proc
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/usb3/sys
mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/usb3/dev/pts
chroot /mnt/usb3 /bin/hostname chumby
chroot /mnt/usb3 /bin/bash

Setup resolv.conf ; apt and install X from within the Debian chroot :

nano /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib

apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-tslib libts-bin xinit xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-kbd xauth xterm matchbox

Configure tslib and X-Windows

Within your Debian chroot :

export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0
export TSLIB_FBDEVICE=/dev/fb0
export TSLIB_PLUGINDIR=/usr/lib/ts
export TSLIB_CONSOLEDEVICE=/dev/ttyS0
export TSLIB_CONFFILE=/etc/ts.conf
export TSLIB_CALIBFILE=/etc/pointercal

ts_calibrate
ts_test

open consoledevice: No such file or directory
KDSETMODE: Bad file descriptor

Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Chumby Video Device"
    Option        "UseFBDev"        "true"
    Driver        "fbdev"
        #Option        "fbdev"   "/dev/fb0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier      "Touchscreen"
         Driver          "tslib"
         Option          "CorePointer"           "true"
         Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
         Option          "TslibDevice"           "/dev/input/event0"
         Option          "Protocol"              "Auto"
         #Option          "EmulateRightButton"    "1"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Base layout"
        Screen          "Chumby Screen"
        InputDevice     "Touchscreen"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Chumby Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Chumby Screen"
        Device          "Chumby Video Device"
        Monitor         "Chumby Monitor"
EndSection

Create /root/.xinitrc

exec startlxde

Recompile X-Windows tslib support
wget http://www.openminddev.net/projects/att … atched.deb
dpkg -i  xserver-xorg-input-tslib_0.0.4-5_armel-patched.deb

startx

lxde DM is up,even if the touch screen doesn't works. I'm not able to move the mouse pointer with my finger.

Re: Install Debian onto a USB stick and run in a chroot on the Infocast 8"

Wow, I wish I understood all that.  Hand in there, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.  I dont' know anything about linux yet, I'm trying to learn so I can do a GPS, then I can put it in my car.  There are other people more knowledgeable than I working on this as well.  I haven't seen an update recently though, but if we all work together, we can get it done.

Mmmmmm, debootstrap! I'll have to give that a try on the new Silvermoon. Thanks, Marietto!

4 (edited by pete_c 2011-04-26 10:12:24)

Marietto,

Thank-you for the great posts.  I was able to install xfce4.  Touchscreen responds to touch but that's about it.
Here is what I am seeing now though with

http://ipofchumby/cgi-bin/custon/fb0.

I used a 4Gb USB memory stick and am currently using the second USB port for the network USB interface. 

I also installed VNC server and it works but its slow.

I'm wondering if I plugged in a keyboard and mouse it would work?

Attached a USB hub and the little Lenova mini wireless keyboard.  It kind of works.

PunBB bbcode test

ICS-Chumby-3:/# startxfce4
/usr/bin/startxfce4: Starting X server

X.Org X Server 1.4.2

Release Date: 11 June 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.4.2-10.lenny3)
Current Operating System: Linux ICS-Chumby-3 2.6.28-M2.1.8.12 #1 Thu Dec 9 13:04:27 PST 2010 armv5tejl
Build Date: 25 September 2010  02:52:58PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Apr 27 04:15:35 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
xf86TslibControlProc
xf86TslibControlProc
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
[config/hal] couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))
SetClientVersion: 0 9
SetKbdSettings - type: 1090610612 rate: 30 delay: 500 snumlk: 52
alsa: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
sh: fortune: command not found

5 (edited by pete_c 2011-04-26 10:45:48)

I have the Lenova remote working fine; although its kind of slow.  Noticed too that the touch screen does work but its a bit off.

Installed XFCE4 goodies and Iceweasel to the mix.

I'm curious what it'll do with a flash file via the desktop.

Seeing the following when loading the XFCE4 desktop:

(Thunar:3793): thunar-vfs-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the HAL daemon: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

(xfdesktop:3797): thunar-vfs-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the HAL daemon: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

6 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-05 20:52:22)

I was able to get the HSTouch screen application to work today.  The touch screen application is for my Home automation server running a program called Homeseer.  The application runs in Mono.  To get it to run you need to install Mono and SDK.

PunBB bbcode HSTouch-1

PunBB bbcode HSTouch-2

PunBB bbcode HSTouch-2

Good work, pete_c.

How did you wrestle the combination of tslib and X into submission?

When I followed Marietto's work* (thanks for doing the ground work, Marietto) ts_calibrate did its thing and then ts_test worked just fine, proving I had calibrated the touch screen properly.

When I start the X server, though, the MatchBox desktop shows up just fine but the touch-screen input is off by a scale-factor of at least 2 (eg, I can move the cursor over the full screen by touching my screen in the upper-left quadrant only).

I remember reading about this scale-factor problem last fall (maybe in a wiki post by ChumberLurker? Duane?) but never read about a solution.

Does anyone have a clue what is causing the calibration to change once X is started?

My own interest is related to yours. I want to use my Infocast as a remote monitor for a CNC  machine. It would be usable now except I need the touchscreen to activate a few buttons.

Regards,
Kent

*I did have to change the exported TSLIB_CONSOLEDEVICE to "/dev/tty" or "none" and to change the .xinitrc content to "matchbox-session" but these weren't showstoppers.

8 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-06 08:54:49)

Hello Kent,

I guess my concern was more related to getting Mono running an applicaton then the Touchscreen piece of it.

I can move the cursor in the X server but it is off but different from what you mention.  I can touch the right side of the screen and the cursor moves to the left of my finger. 

I had similiar issues with the Mimo USB touchscreen playing with the Seagate Dockstar.  I am not sure anymore what I did to get it to work correctly; might have been just putting in some values manually.

Kent,

You have me redoing the install anyways. 

Sometimes for whatever reason my hands type faster than what I am keeping track of.  Like the dialing of a telephone number without thinking?

Thanks for the feedback, pete_c.

I'm sure there's something simple I overlooked. I'll post it if I get there before you:-)

In the meantime, enjoy those lovely screens you're getting.

Regards,
Kent

EUREKA!

It's official. I'm an idiot.

I forgot to define the width and height of the touchscreen in xorg.conf.

After adding

Option "Width" "800"
Option "Height" "600"

to

Section "InputDevice"

and restarting the Xserver, my touchscreen now tracks my finger as well as I could have hoped.

If only all my problems were this easy to solve.

Regards,
Kent

12 (edited by RunningLight 2011-05-09 08:56:13)

As a follow-up to this thread, it should be obvious that the USB port is not the only available option.

For example, I wanted to use both my USB ports for other purposes, so once I proved to myself that I could create the Debian system on a USB stick as described above, I just copied it over to a Compact Flash card I had at hand. (I didn't create the system directly on the CF card because my host computer lacks a CF card reader.)

I changed references from /mnt/usb[n] to /mnt/sd[n] and now I run Debian from the CF card.

Regards,
Kent

PS - I used the [n] notation above to clarify another point in Marietto's write-up. Whether one sees the USB stick mounted and linked to /mnt/usb3 or /mnt/usb or somesuch depends on whether other USB drives have already been mounted. Same with a CF card. The logical links are created as needed by the system. There are various ways to deal with this, but the easiest is to pay attention :-)

Thanks for the suggestion Kent.  Trying a new build today on a 2Gb SD card.  Very basic with just matchbox and mono on it.

I connected a USB hub a while ago when I moved the Chumby to wired connection.  (in fact all of the ones in the home now are on wired connections).

I was able to twittle the image down to 2Gb and all was working fine for a bit until I starting to play with the Mono installation; then all went downhill fast; not a big deal to start again.  The mono stuff seems to be the most resource intensive.  Once I start to add SDL then it gets worse; especially if I do TTS.  I can't get it to stop talking mickey mouse like with the SDL stuff.

pete_c wrote:

I was able to twittle the image down to 2Gb and all was working fine for a bit until I starting to play with the Mono installation; then all went downhill fast; not a big deal to start again.  The mono stuff seems to be the most resource intensive.  Once I start to add SDL then it gets worse; especially if I do TTS.  I can't get it to stop talking mickey mouse like with the SDL stuff.

Unfortunately, you're off in an area I have no knowledge of (which comes as a surprise to this know-it-all!). All I can do is wish you best of luck in getting mono, etc., to do what you want. I'm supposing it works fine in a traditional Linux PC environment, so you're looking for what's different on the Infocast 8.

I'm doing somewhat the same thing with the Debian X-server on my Infocast 8. I'm have trouble getting the X security model to work. A clue is that various parts of the system disagree on the hostname.  At least it's keeping me out of bars.

By the way, I noticed "Lockport, IL" at the bottom of one of your screen captures. I spent several years at Argonne National Lab as a flunkie and then 5 years as a staff physicist, leaving just as Ronald Reagan was sworn in as President. I commuted out from Hyde Park in Chicago, but I often got to places like Lockport because of fellow staff members. I have fond memories...

Regards,
Kent

16 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-12 12:21:17)

Kent,

Have a look at all of the references in the new setup to the hostname and make your adjustments; it'll work then just fine.

I actually almost built a home adjacent to Argonne a few years back and decided then to move/build in Lockport, IL.

My now brother-in-law; old college roommate majored in University Physics for about a year at Loyola.  Personally one of my hobbies (and still is) was playing with lasers.  For a bit I had a helium argon laser set up; actually it was a bit of antique; about 6 foot long or so and would dim all of the lights in the old house when I was playing with it.  I could and did light up a water tower about 2 miles away one night playing.  I do remember getting into various discussions in the 80's about pumping lasers (made for some lively discussions).

When I moved to Lockport a few years ago I built (modified) a laser light show setup; worked very nicely; but my wife one day mentioned that it kind of worked too well; and I dismantled it and haven't used it in about 5 or 6 years.  (still freaking out my wife in my sometimes normal laws of  physics defying little projects).  I personally believe there's some basic isomerisms that play into some innate biochemical reactions that no one's figured out (at least I think that right now).

BTW Hyde Park brings back some memories, folks used to bring me there in the early 60's; still remember the "coffee shops" everywhere...then in the 1980's would have small informal little computer "meetings" with a few folks from the University of Chicago at the time.  One of the gentlemen (actually not from University of Chicago but rather Northwestern) I remember helping him with writing some database at the time.  He was an Astronomer ...I kept in touch with him until he passed away after his retirement.  I think it was either New Mexico or Arizona that he moved to.

My friend's son is at Purdue majoring in Physics.  He mentioned something about some stuff he was playing with and if I played with Python.  I told him what I had done with the Chumby.  He eats sleeps and drinks physics; not caring too much about anything else these days.

I like living here in Lockport; nice town.

pete_c:

As usual, I overlooked something trivial. It turns out that, by default, Debian disables the ability of the X-server to accept connections from remote clients.

Fix: edit /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc to remove the "-nolisten tcp" option and restart the Xserver.

As for my hostname problem, it comes from the fact that some low-level processes remember that the Infocast8 boots with a Chumby-assigned name. That name comes from the (chumby) file /etc/hostname. After one chroot's to the Debian file system, the hostname is drawn from the (Debian) file  /etc/hostname. Marietto's recipe initializes this second hostname file, as it should be, but he chose a different host name. Without thinking, I did too. I now initialize it to the Chumby-assigned name to avoid confusion.

The result is I'm happily displaying X-windows from remote clients on my Infocast8.

I'm pleased to hear you are a tinkerer at heart. So am I, although I did most of my tinkering in employers' labs because we've never lived in a home with garage or extended basement space.

Now that I'm retired and my grandkids are coming of an age, I'm starting to do more work at home (hence the tabletop CNC mill for which I want a remote display). I want them to understand they have the power within themselves to make things and test ideas. Chances are we'll stick to diode lasers and room-sized light shows for the time being.

Physics is Phun!

Regards,
Kent

Kent,

Good news!

I'm going to try a new x windows "build" today or tomorrow.   

Building another NAS today...(FreeNAS)...got a deal on 2TB drives last week....

Good idea with the grandkids there Kent!

Rather than chroot'ing, you probably should be able to 'reload' the kernel using the chumby/linux os basically as a glorified bootloader. I do a similar thing on a DNS-323 NAS that is arm-based -- I reload a full debian kernel using a modified version of code that I got from the DNS-323 forum. By reloading the kernel, you free up all the memory used by the original chumby kernel boot and you get a fresh booted environment without any need to bind various mount points. Basically, it is indistinguishable from modifying the bootloader and firmware but it is all non-destructive since it doesn't require any firmware changes.

Basically the code shuts down non-essential processes (like a kill5 command), loads the new debian kernel and initrd into protected memory, loads the arm boot parameters and jump points into memory, and sends the processor the boot sequence required to reboot.

If I have time I might try to adapt this to the chumby but meanwhile check out these threads where I documented my experience on the dns-323.
http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=6228
http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=6306
http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php … 736#p40736

Running_Light --- now that you have the touchscreen working is it able to replace the functionality of a mouse -- i.e., can you move around and at least do one type of 'click'?

Also, has anyone succeeded in getting an onscreen keyboard to work so that you could use the Infocast as a standalone touchscreen computer with at least rudimentary on-screen mouse & keyboard capabilities?

Finally, are USB mice & keyboards recognized as plug-n-play allowing one full control over the chumby Linux/X environment?

22 (edited by RunningLight 2011-05-15 19:26:58)

puterboy wrote:

Running_Light --- now that you have the touchscreen working is it able to replace the functionality of a mouse -- i.e., can you move around and at least do one type of 'click'?

Yes, I get a basic click function when I tap and clicking on matchbox buttons causes the appropriate actions. I haven't experimented enough or dug through the ts driver source enough to know if one can do more clever things.

Also, has anyone succeeded in getting an onscreen keyboard to work so that you could use the Infocast as a standalone touchscreen computer with at least rudimentary on-screen mouse & keyboard capabilities?

I haven't tried, but when I get my CNC hookup going, I figure I may want a numeric keypad in addition to basic buttons.

Take a look at http://www.touch-base.com/documentation … htm#_Linux

I'm thinking I'll try hacking xvkbd to get what I want.

Finally, are USB mice & keyboards recognized as plug-n-play allowing one full control over the chumby Linux/X environment?

Keep in mind that I'm concentrating on using my Infocast 8 as a remote monitor/display rather than an input device. Consequently, I hadn't worked with these devices. Since you asked, I just now plugged in a USB mouse and a USB keyboard. Moving the mouse moves the cursor. Moving the cursor into an xterm window changes the input "focus" to the window. At this point, characters typed on the keyboard show up in the selected xterm window. I'd say the answer to your question is "yes".

Now I can expand on my answer to your first question. Having typed the characters into the window using the keyboard, I can highlight a string of characters using either the mouse (move while holding down the left button) or the touchscreen (slide while pressing).

Regards,
Kent

PS - I'm still dissatisfied with (my understanding of) the X security model. It seems too easy to get into situations where remote X clients cannot open windows on the Xserver. Unfortunately, much of my hard-earned experience with X was gained in the pre-Xauth days. Maybe I'm making mistakes with xauth, Xauthority, etc., maybe not (and, yes, I know about running X sessions within ssh). To make testing easier, I'm first running clients and servers on separate PCs with full-up Linux installations. Once I've sorted out the issues in creating robust connections, I'll move the server-side tests to my Infocast 8. I'm so confident I'll succeed that I just ordered another Infocast 8 from a nearby eBay supplier. The price was just too good for me to go straight to the new Chumby 8 (sorry Chumbians; I'll get one soon, promise!).

23 (edited by RunningLight 2011-05-15 19:17:46)

puterboy wrote:

Rather than chroot'ing, you probably should be able to 'reload' the kernel using the chumby/linux os basically as a glorified bootloader. I do a similar thing on a DNS-323 NAS that is arm-based -- I reload a full debian kernel using a modified version of code that I got from the DNS-323 forum. By reloading the kernel, you free up all the memory used by the original chumby kernel boot and you get a fresh booted environment without any need to bind various mount points. Basically, it is indistinguishable from modifying the bootloader and firmware but it is all non-destructive since it doesn't require any firmware changes.

Basically the code shuts down non-essential processes (like a kill5 command), loads the new debian kernel and initrd into protected memory, loads the arm boot parameters and jump points into memory, and sends the processor the boot sequence required to reboot.

If I have time I might try to adapt this to the chumby but meanwhile check out these threads where I documented my experience on the dns-323.
http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=6228
http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=6306
http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php … 736#p40736

Thanks for that, puterboy. It's interesting stuff and I may try to repeat it on my Infocast 8. I know there has been other work along this line with other embedded systems, but I forget where I saved the link :-(

Regards,
Kent

PS- I read this message after I composed my answer to your next question. Sorry for being out of sequence.)

24 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-16 06:03:10)

Thanks for the suggestions there puterboy.  I see the similiaries.  I didn't know what a DNS-323 was.

While the Infocast 8 is doing OK with the additional pieces of Mono/SDL; it's still very slow sometimes.  I couldn't get the set up to run as well with my 2Gb configurations; but am going to try again before settling on a 4 Gb setup. 

I'm kind of using the Infocast 8 more for displaying data from the home automation server on my network.   Ideally though if I could utilize the custom built in flash with my setups; it would help a bit.   

I've been trying to display static / dynamic data / web pics from multiple variables, graphs etc quickly at a glance.   To do this though I am using a custom application which allows me to "build" custom interactive display screens.  The screens that I build with a propietary piece of software currently work with the display piece which can be installed on a Windows XP, XPE, CE, Linux, Mac and Android.   Relating to Linux I build a similiar "client" with the Seagate Dockstar using a Mimo 7" USB display; which worked.  I like the "all in one" Infocast 8 footprint for a similiar setup.  Once the application is running; I can  build the screens on any other PC on the network and just update the Linux Client with new screens; data remotely.

Here's a series of pics relating to my playing around with the Seagate Dockstar / Mimo monitor setup.

PunBB bbcode Dockstar

IE: the 4 weather shots on one screen above takes about 15 seconds to load; which is much too slow for me. 

BTW; my VNC X windows sessions work OK with the Infocast.  For the direct hardware stuff; I've tested the touch screen to work fine.  I am using two keyboard/mouse combos with the Infocast.  One is the small little Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard model number N5901.  Works well; but its difficult to type and do stuff in a terminal window.  The other combo wireless keyboard mouse is an older generic one which works OK but for whatever reason I have issues typing certain characters in the terminal windows of my x sessions.

25 (edited by pete_c 2011-05-21 09:10:24)

I've noticed that the Chumby appears to go into hibernation or suspend with Debian running.  The only way I found to "wake" it has been to touch the screen.  I'm also doing some remote control of it using a Python script and XPL (thanks Damage).  I can still talk to both the Chumby base in which parts are still running or the Debian new base.

I've added some more to it and I am wondering if anyone else is away of any other "switches" that I can use.

This one lets me adjust the brightness from 0 to 100.

/sys/devices/platform/silvermoon-bl/backlight/silvermoon-bl/brightness

and this one lets me shut off the backlight with the values of 0 and 1.

/sys/devices/platform/silvermoon-bl/backlight/silvermoon-bl/bl_power

If I could "wake" it up remotely it would be great.