Topic: Clone a Channel (copy existing channel)

Something I'd like to see on the Chumby.com management site, at the My Channels page:

In addition to the existing choices of "add a channel, delete channel, rename channel"  I'd like to have something like

"clone a channel"

which would duplicate the selected channel -- with its widgets AND their settings -- to a new channel with a specified name.

Why?  I'm wishing I could make slightly modified versions of (say) my Default channel, which has a bunch of tweaked-up widgets and timeouts/configuration entries.  For example, a channel for the weekend that skips over unnecessary weekday stuff like work gcalendar or stock quotes.   Erasing and adding a FEW widgets is a lot easier than duplicating the channel and its widgets by hand (or sending the widgets to a channel one at a time).

Hopefully this wouldn't be too insanely difficult?

Re: Clone a Channel (copy existing channel)

I need to do the same thing.

OK! There does not appear to be a way to do this on chumby.com. However, you can do it on the chumby (or Infocast in my case).

What you do is:

1 - Open the channel screen
2 - Create a new channel
3 - Go the the existing channel, you want to clone
4 - Select (check) all of the apps. You can use the Select All button
5 - In the left panel, scroll to the new channel
6 - Drag and drop the apps on to the new channel

I did notice that the apps get rearranged. You can then edit the channel in chumby.com to put them back in your prefered order.

I haven't used other chumby devices but I assume their screens are similar.

paw wrote:

OK! There does not appear to be a way to do this on chumby.com. However, you can do it on the chumby (or Infocast in my case).
I haven't used other chumby devices but I assume their screens are similar.

No, 'fraid not.
I haven't seen an Infocast, but it would appear that the screens and interface are completely different to those of the Chumby Classic and One.
The only one of your steps that is possible on a Chumby is step 1 - open the channel screen.
After that, it's all different - you can't create a new channel, you can't select apps in an existing channel for purposes other than to delete or pin them, there's no Select All option, and there's no left panel.

8" Chumby devices have the ability to edit channels (add, delete, configure the widgets) on the device itself.  The smaller devices can only be configured via the dashboard at chumby.com.

I would like to see a simpler interface when adding apps to channels.  My Chumby travels and I have to add each app individually to channel.  It would be so much much easier to have a checklist that appears.

7 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-14 20:04:32)

Sorry I didn't notice this question earlier- like a year or so ago! You basically can "clone" a channel in a few steps. Log in. Create the new empty channel. Open the channel that has the widgets you want to clone. It will show the widgets to "manage" already customized with your zip code or whatever. One widget at a time, click "send" and then go down and click the name of your new clone channel. The widget will be in the new channel with the same customizations. Then go back to the page "my channels" and send the other widgets the same way. Of course, you can also add other apps from the catalog or from your other channels. You may just have to drag around the order if you want to. You can also then change the defaults in the new channel, like a longer display time, etc.