Topic: So, will the new Chumby8 firmware work on the Insignia Infocast?

I want to know because they put back the full alarm system, the task manager (lets you turn dim on and off programatically), IHeart radio, etc.

The specs for the 2 look identical!

Re: So, will the new Chumby8 firmware work on the Insignia Infocast?

Is there a microSD image source anywhere?

I'll try it and see what happens if you point to where I can find it?

Well, it isn't out yet, so I assume we will have to wait.

Everyone is being very quiet about it all

Personally I hope they use a higher quality LCD than the one on the infocast 8... I wasn't too thrilled with the quality/sharpness of that LCD panel

joltdude wrote:

Personally I hope they use a higher quality LCD than the one on the infocast 8... I wasn't too thrilled with the quality/sharpness of that LCD panel

I thought the same until I looked close.  I think the lack of sharpness on the Infocast8 was due to 3.5" apps being blown up to 8"

There are 2 that make me think that.  The weather one looks sharp and native and so does the youtube on.

See if it looks that way to you too.

Any word on this?

Yes. (Infocast 8")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzY6ytQIQCc

The device is still seen as an Infocast 8", since I have only swapped out the controlpanel.swf in /tmp rather than setting the appropriate settings to act as a Chumby8.

Mods: what is the official stance on this? I don't want to post instructions or anything until I get the all-clear. Excellent work on the new controlpanel!

tylerfixer wrote:

Yes. (Infocast 8")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzY6ytQIQCc

The device is still seen as an Infocast 8", since I have only swapped out the controlpanel.swf in /tmp rather than setting the appropriate settings to act as a Chumby8.

Mods: what is the official stance on this? I don't want to post instructions or anything until I get the all-clear. Excellent work on the new controlpanel!

Chumby and Duane seem complacent about changes and mods.  They leave hooks in to allow mods!  Chumby also supports a site dedicated to modification of the Chumby, at its lowest level.  Heck they leave an SSH shell in the unit!

I for one literally just bought an Insignia, and would not respend my money for a new unit.

Maybe thats why Insignia left the market so quickly, they new an exact unit, better software, championed by Chumby had a better chance in the market.

We have no objections to mods, as long as they're compliant with the various licenses.

For instance, you cannot release a mod that involves the redistribution of the Flash Player.

@tylerfixer -

I watched your video and it looks amazing.  I have begun regretting getting an infocast because of how it is crippled, but now it looks like it wont be so bad after all.  I would love to see a tutorial on how you got the new control panel working on it.  Where did you get the new controlpanel.swf?

11 (edited by philhu 2011-04-13 09:47:37)

Duane wrote:

We have no objections to mods, as long as they're compliant with the various licenses.

For instance, you cannot release a mod that involves the redistribution of the Flash Player.

Doesn't the Insignia have the flash player?

Would the unit be able to 'look' like a chumby8 for auto firmware upgrades?  The OP implied changes needed to make it all look like a chumby8 if allowed.

Or is it all the controlpanel.swf that needs to be changed out?

Yes, the Insignia device has the Flash Player. Running an alternative Control Panel is most certainly allowed.

We would have an issue if someone distributed a firmware image or something that had the Flash Player embedded, since our distribution license with Adobe does not extend to anyone else.

We'd also have an issue if someone redistributed software that contained our trademarks, such that it gave the impression that it came from us instead of from the third party.

I think there are other firmware differences between the Chumby 8/Opus and the Insignia 8", so I don't know how well the Opus Control Panel would play on the Insignia device.  You are welcome to try, but just be aware that it's not a combination we officially support, so the responsibility is yours.

Duane wrote:

Yes, the Insignia device has the Flash Player. Running an alternative Control Panel is most certainly allowed.

We would have an issue if someone distributed a firmware image or something that had the Flash Player embedded, since our distribution license with Adobe does not extend to anyone else.

We'd also have an issue if someone redistributed software that contained our trademarks, such that it gave the impression that it came from us instead of from the third party.

I think there are other firmware differences between the Chumby 8/Opus and the Insignia 8", so I don't know how well the Opus Control Panel would play on the Insignia device.  You are welcome to try, but just be aware that it's not a combination we officially support, so the responsibility is yours.

So, in theory, it would be okay if I modified the Chumby8 complete firmware to work on the Insignia 8" as long as I did not host the firmware image, merely a set of patches?

I think I will see about getting the complete Chumby8 firmware running, that way we have access to the new widgets and browser. This has brought a lot of usefulness back to my 3 Infocasts around the house...

Thanks for the speedy replies!