Topic: InfoCast does not have the standard Chumby "My Streams"

Any reason the InfoCast does not have the standard Chumby "My Streams" under "Music?"  This seems like an integral part of the device.  Can it be added to the list of "things we might add?"

Re: InfoCast does not have the standard Chumby "My Streams"

I am right there with you.  I wanted to stream a radio station that isn't in the list and can't find the music app that I thought would be there...

The music choices were specified by Insignia.

The "My Streams" was also not initially available on the Sony dash (it was considered too "geeky"), but they added it in an update.

Thanks Duane, hope to soon have "My Streams" in my BB8
YouStreams I can not see my screen Infocast

Greetings from Argentina

5 (edited by jestevens 2010-10-23 07:25:19)

I was hoping for a nice streaming podcast client because NPR has a tremendous directory of podcasts (I already have the most-Emailed app).  I see that there are a few if them available for stock chumby but Mediafly and youstreams are apparently also restricted on the infocast.

For almost $200 you would think that infocast wouldn't put this kind of restriction on the device if they want to sell more of them.  In a whole store with thousands of products it's hard to find this thing.  I did see that local best buy in the last two weeks positioned all of their "digital lifestyle" products closer to the front door and facing the incoming store traffic but honestly if you didn't already hear about it online I wouldn't have known this thing existed.  They DID place one over by the digital cameras to show customers who have questions about photos though.

The content restriction would normally be enough for me to want to return it on principle but maybe they have other licensing restrictions we don't know about.  The webkit demo you guys put together actually proves what the device is capable of - if it had full flash player it would be a complete usable browser (youtube wants to upgrade - I'll fiddle with that later).

I will give it a chance - the idea of having an inexpensive VNC based thin client terminal or a QT based streaming podcast client, or a MythTV front end for Standard Def recordings (even if I have to transcode on the server)  is just too appealing to rush to judgment.

I clearly need to spend more time hanging out in your wiki because this device is still a lot more open then a lot of vendors.

The 3.5" Infocast has the "My Streams" option.  I'm learning about both the 8" and 3.5" to decide which to keep.  Seems as if I just keep reading the forums, all my questions will be answered wink

Let me add my vote to the addition of streaming.  There's a lot the Infocast does that I like.  The two things lacking are web browsing (partially addressed by the ability to boot to a browser (thanks Ken!) and streaming from the web.  I want the browser for quick look-ups on Wikipedia or recipes on Epicureous.  I want streaming music for radio stations on the web and for streams like Little Steven's Underground Garage and The Retro Cocktail Hour.

8 (edited by hypotechguy 2010-11-29 19:30:48)

Any way to copy the "My Streams" app from a Classic Chumby (which I own) to the Infocast 8"?  Or, from an Infocast 3.5"?

Kinda shocking that the 3.5" has it, but the 8" doesn't.

p.s. is there a way to play an m3u stream via the command line (ssh)?

Post your requests to the Insignia forums.  This is all up to them.

I love my 8" Infocast, which I got for Christmas, but without anything like "My Streams", there's no way to listen to any station you want, besides what's on Shoutcast or Blue Octy. I noticed that, apart from a selection of NPR stations, it's lacking the world's pubcasters such as CBC (other than CBC Radio 3 and some programs on Canadian Forces Radio), BBC, RFI and the Australian ABC. And there are some commercial stations I would like to listen to online that's not covered here -- such as the francophone stations from Quebec, which is barely covered here.

If there are any alternatives out there compatible with the 8" Infocast, suggestions are welcome.

Duane wrote:

What's the link for that?

Here is the link
http://community.insigniaproducts.com/t … diaDisplay

azumanga1 wrote:

I love my 8" Infocast, which I got for Christmas, but without anything like "My Streams", there's no way to listen to any station you want, besides what's on Shoutcast or Blue Octy. I noticed that, apart from a selection of NPR stations, it's lacking the world's pubcasters such as CBC (other than CBC Radio 3 and some programs on Canadian Forces Radio), BBC, RFI and the Australian ABC. And there are some commercial stations I would like to listen to online that's not covered here -- such as the francophone stations from Quebec, which is barely covered here.

If there are any alternatives out there compatible with the 8" Infocast, suggestions are welcome.

Duane wrote:

What's the link for that?

I found a work around to get YouStreams working on Insignia 8''. Maybe this is an unofficial way, but it work for me perfectly. Please see:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=36078#p36078