Re: Anybody interested to port Android on Chumby?

I second the question!

I third it!

Somvun must Know sumting!

I tested the Insignia,
nice hardware device
but the software is just not what I hoped...
I need at least a webbrowser
so an Android package would be welcome....

Does anything happens to port android to chumby?

@ChumbyLurker: Can you maybe describe how you've done your version? What is to do in order to adapt your android version to chumby? I'd like to help you or to try to port it by myself (in order to learn how to do it!)

I did it a while ago, before there was much documentation.  There seems to be a lot more now.  Basically, you patch the kernel to include Android support, compile the source according to the documentation, then copy the Android directory to the device and chroot into it.

I just bought an infocast, and I'm working on getting android running on it. I'm not new to compiling kernels, but I am new to cross-compiling.

I'm pretty much starting from this post I found on google groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/android- … a9a735e5ab

Is there anybody who wants to help me port android to the infocast?

I dont have the chumby One but the Classic. How can I make the swap directory??

I take it you got no reply ?

thormx wrote:

I just bought an infocast, and I'm working on getting android running on it. I'm not new to compiling kernels, but I am new to cross-compiling.

I'm pretty much starting from this post I found on google groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/android- … a9a735e5ab

Is there anybody who wants to help me port android to the infocast?

I'm beginning a port of gingerbread to my infocast.  Let me know if you want to help :-)

Anyone successful yet? I'm so excited to get the android os on my infocast 8"

The main stumbling block is the lack of clean diff against the linus tree.  It's taken some time (and I've worked on other things) to extract just the PXA168 diffs so that Android bits can be merged.

Outstanding!

I'm not sure what you are talking about but I appreciate the feedback. I'm still struggling with being impatient but happy to here progress is being made by knowledgeable and tenacious individuals such as yourself... thank you...

Happy to help in any way that I can, pm me if  you want to email.

bsidhipong wrote:

I'm beginning a port of gingerbread to my infocast.  Let me know if you want to help :-)

If you need any help with the Java bits, let me know so I can help with that.

41 (edited by Materdaddy 2011-02-20 13:21:59)

bsidhipong wrote:

The main stumbling block is the lack of clean diff against the linus tree.  It's taken some time (and I've worked on other things) to extract just the PXA168 diffs so that Android bits can be merged.

A diff against the linus linux-2.6 tree is easy.  I simply grabbed a git clone of the tree, checked out the vanilla version in a local working branch, and rsync'd the chumby kernel.  Found a few "extra" things there, like "old" versions of files, white-space cruft, etc., but it didn't take but 10 minutes.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Why do we need a diff?  All the Android bits as of 2.6.27 seem to be in the 2.6.28 silvermoon source, mostly in drivers/misc.  Almost all the kernel options compile except switch_gpio and the android usb gadget stuff.  The XDAndroid team runs Froyo (and Gingerbread soon) atop of a 2.6.27 kernel (for MSM7x devices.)  Do we really require anything in 2.6.32/35 (or in the newer android kernel drivers?)  What has changed?  I can check whether XDAndroid backported anything to their .27 or .29 branches.

I have a Chumby One (got it from the Woot sale) and would love to see this functionality. I admittedly know nothing about coding (but i do understand computers and am willing to learn). I would like to help however possible

Hmm, everytime I find people working on an Android port, they seem to get bored and disappear sad

I'm no Linux expert but I can program in Java and C. I'm also learning Python at the moment. If this project is indeed alive PM me if you'd like some help.

Why it isn´t possible to update your chumby to android with the usb port ??? http://www.chumby.com/pages/latest_software#usbupdate

I would strongly support to get Android running on Chumby, even with USB mode. Better detached from Chumby.com!

is there any progress on porting android to the chumby?

We need to build a custom linux kernal and basically shrink it down to size. Find what android needs and dont needs.

Has there been any progress on this?

50 (edited by Doktor Jones 2013-03-12 01:24:45)

With so many Android update releases, I don't this is still possible.

Cheers,
Tyron of [LINK REMOVED]