1 (edited by FWSquatch 2011-03-12 17:12:31)

Topic: Easiest way to talk to an Arduino

I've had a chumby for a couple years and I use it as an alarm clock.  I want to build a sunrise-style alarm with my Arduino and my Chumby.  So far, the hardware and software on the Arduino are working perfectly.  It waits for an input over the serial port and when it gets it, here comes the sun!  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to get the Chumby to trigger the Arduino to to start the light show.  Is there an easy way to do this?

Re: Easiest way to talk to an Arduino

An FTDI TTL-232 USB cable?

Well, I planned on using a normal USB cable to do the communication.  My program on the arduino listens on the serial port and it works fine when I send the info from my computer to the arduino.  I just wanted to figure out what I'd have to do software-wise to be able to make the chumby send that info out to the arduino.

I'm not sure about the classic, but the Infocast has serial pins broken out, so you'd just need to wire tx->rx, rx->tx, gnd->gnd if it's a 3.3v Arduino, or get a logic level converter if not. If it's just Chumby->Arduino you might only need tx->rx and ground, as I'm pretty sure 3.3v will trigger logic high on either a 3.3v or 5v Arduino.

It's a bit of a strange problem to have, however. Is the Arduino doing something that the Chumby cannot do on its own?

The Arduino is controlling an array of red, green, and blue LEDs that will simulate the colors of a sunrise. I already use the chumby as my alarm clock. I just want to be able to add this sunrise feature to it.

So, I was assuming your chumby has a USB port you can spare.  The FTDI cable should show up as /dev/tty<foo> and provides TTL serial on the other end.  That is assuming the FTDI driver module has been build for the Chumby, which I believe it has.

USB->Serial already mentioned.

WiFi shield = pricey/boring.

Encoded signal from the Chumby screen read by a light sensor by the Arduino = cute and novel and could even be the easiest software wise...