Topic: Chumby Munny Too

Right when I saw the information on Chumby on Tech Crunch, and the design ideas, it entered my mind also to take a chumby and create a custom vinyl toy from it.  The one that came to mind for me first was the munny too because its readily available and I happen to be working on one now (http://sandman.vox.com/library/post/got … -pics.html).  I even put in my idea on the home page but I'm not sure it went through because I never received any confirmation and very soon afterward I was unable to get to the site because of the overload message. :-(

Rough template.. Work in progress.. :-)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/S4NDman/MunnyChumby.gif

Re: Chumby Munny Too

the lcd itself is 3.5 inches... i'm thinking the munny head is going to look retarded if one just cuts a whole in it and tries to "pop" the lcd and components in...well retarded or cheap. what would be sick though is if one takes the head off completly and custom molds a new fitted one that's an old school crt monitor or 50's/70's television

I think that molding the head around the lcd is the best bet.  Just take a bit of finesse splitting the head open to make it accomodate the screen, using resin or other sculpting to fill in the gaps, with wire mesh.. perhaps even cutting an opening on the back for access to the device if necessary.  Does that make sense?  I know it wouldn't fit just to cut a hole though.

looks cool! smile

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

I'm wondering if there are any more photos, diagrams or views of the prototype.  I wonder becuase I would like to post even better images of how I would like to implement the chumby munny idea. :-)

I'd suggest grabbing the CAD files that are available on the corp. page if you have any software capable of viewing them. If not, the PDF files for the schematics and shape of the motherboard should give you a good starting place on how to lay everything out. For more pictures of Chumby, there are some on the Blog's Flickr account. And then of course if you're really nice someone who owns one might take a few pictures of one for you, but I don't know anyone who has one (other than the obvious, the developers).

7 (edited by outunderstars 2006-08-30 16:39:50)

I really like the idea!

I was thinking of doing a mod to make it look either like a mod tv

http://www.simplymod.com/images/tv-philco-orange.jpg

s4ndm4n...(or someone...)

what are the munny's dimensions? particularly the size of his head...3.5 inch screen plus surround plus components need to fit...

i haven't seen vinyls in australia, as of yet....possibly some in games stores...just checked out the kid robot site...not bad...have to go toy shopping, methinks

9 (edited by s4ndm4n 2006-08-31 11:56:18)

Angela wrote:

s4ndm4n...(or someone...)

what are the munny's dimensions? particularly the size of his head...3.5 inch screen plus surround plus components need to fit...

i haven't seen vinyls in australia, as of yet....possibly some in games stores...just checked out the kid robot site...not bad...have to go toy shopping, methinks

I am not sure exactly.  I know the one I have at home is 7" tall.  Her(I'm making it a girl) head would definitely need to be split and re-assembled to accomodate the device, but by how much I'm not sure.   

Here's the example of the one that I'm working on now
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/S4NDman/munnygirl8.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/S4NDman/munnygirl11.jpg

You can kind of get an idea.. this one is a GID (Glow in the Dark) one.. 

And here's my 3" Dunny I'm customizing -- thrown in just for kicks! big_smile
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/S4NDman/sargeBody.jpg

awalton wrote:

I'd suggest grabbing the CAD files that are available on the corp. page if you have any software capable of viewing them. If not, the PDF files for the schematics and shape of the motherboard should give you a good starting place on how to lay everything out. For more pictures of Chumby, there are some on the Blog's Flickr account. And then of course if you're really nice someone who owns one might take a few pictures of one for you, but I don't know anyone who has one (other than the obvious, the developers).

Thanks!  That will help!  I don't know if I can use the CAD files but I know PDFs are importable with Illustrator..

outunderstars wrote:

I really like the idea!

I was thinking of doing a mod to make it look either like a mod tv

http://www.simplymod.com/images/tv-philco-orange.jpg

I like this one too!  The TV look.. smile

s4ndm4n...

What are you using for the hair?

Can you point me in the direction of a how to on doing this?

Ta
Angie

Angela wrote:

s4ndm4n...

What are you using for the hair?

Can you point me in the direction of a how to on doing this?

Ta
Angie

The hair is done with a polymer clay called Super Sculpey, more specifically, its the super sculpey extra firm.  The long hair in the front that sticks out also has armature wire under it to give it strength.  I'll see if I can find some posts, websites and stuff that can help you with the sculpting part..  The little guy is already baked but his features also are sculpted/added on with sculpey.  It bakes in your oven at about 275 normally, 240 for a custom toy so they don't melt...

s4ndm4n wrote:

The hair is done with a polymer clay called Super Sculpey, more specifically, its the super sculpey extra firm.  The long hair in the front that sticks out also has armature wire under it to give it strength.  I'll see if I can find some posts, websites and stuff that can help you with the sculpting part..  The little guy is already baked but his features also are sculpted/added on with sculpey.  It bakes in your oven at about 275 normally, 240 for a custom toy so they don't melt...

Aaah...now Sculpey is something I know something about...I thought it was some kind of plastic/polymer/resin..

How do you get the Sculpey to stick to the vinyl? Do you use some liquid Sculpey...or do you take off the baked hair and use adhesive? Or does it just stick?

I think your site/work is great!

Why thank you!  Umm. the sculpey takes work initially but it stays once you get it to stick. :-)

Whoa that rules! Plush or Vynl. Are you guys at ComicCon? (looks like the stuff there)

@outunderstars What tv thing is that? Looks awesome.

You guys should have chumbies at comiccon, or get me into foocamp/toorcon. ^___^

~Ryan~

btw, what did you use to make that template?

~Ryan~

Warpling wrote:

Whoa that rules! Plush or Vynl. Are you guys at ComicCon? (looks like the stuff there)

@outunderstars What tv thing is that? Looks awesome.

You guys should have chumbies at comiccon, or get me into foocamp/toorcon. ^___^

I sure wish I were at ComicCon!  I just do this for fun.  I just want a Chumby to use for my custom.. :-)

Warpling wrote:

btw, what did you use to make that template?

I can't find it on Kidrobot for some reason.  I downloaded it.  I can email you a copy.

That would be awesome, hope to hear from you, I want to try maybe make a 3D model of that vynl, if you have side top views etc. Can't figure out an easy way to photoshop a vynl effect though tongue

~Ryan~

Warpling wrote:

That would be awesome, hope to hear from you, I want to try maybe make a 3D model of that vynl, if you have side top views etc. Can't figure out an easy way to photoshop a vynl effect though tongue

I only have the premade templates which are 2d.  only front and back, I believe.

http://static.flickr.com/79/229838039_1ec707f0e3_m.jpg

On Chumby official blog from a modder at Foo... right there that was my first idea for a mod... I don't have one and I didn't do it... just someone thinks like me.

/shivers

~Ryan~

You guys are too funny!  It makes me want to find an old vintage boglin (if you remember those) and do a mod with that!
jonaric@gmail.com
jonaric@yahoo.com

I like it! looks cool! Then you could offer hats and clothes for your Munny to dress it up for holidays and such

mmm....chumby...

i really want to see (or have) a chumby in a munny. but the images here are 404d sad ! so.. bump?