Topic: Are there any widgets built with FlashDevelop?

Or any other open source tools for that matter. If anyone has any working projects that they'd like to share that would be greatly appreciated. I am very new to flash (I come from a C++/Java background) and don't have any official/commercial flash tools. It seems like developing sophisticated widgets like avot TV is much harder with free tools. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Are there any widgets built with FlashDevelop?

hi, i used flashdevelop. there is a sample widget here:
http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … hotoViewer

i agree, i also didnt find  a lot of flashdevelop example projects. maybe chumby industries should allow for upload and sharing of the source code, too.

3 (edited by wayn3w 2008-06-17 05:31:39)

I started using Flashdevelop but for personal reasons decided to use mtasc and swfmill directly -- Flashdevelop, as you may know, is just an editor, but it compiles actionscript and builds the swf using mtasc and swfmill.  These are shipped with the editor.

Basically any example that uses mtasc can be edited in Flashdevelop.  All my widgets use mtasc/swfmill, and if any of them are of interest to you, you can have the source, just ask.  I've been meaning to upload them to sourceforge; I'll probably do that over the summer.

wayn3w

sirchadwick, yes, I did find your widget yesterday and it is awesome! I learned quite a bit from it!! Thanks so much for that!! In fact as part of the learning I'm trying to change the touch/press event handler so it pauses the slide show with an overlaid button to resume (having trouble with even that of course smile

wayn3w, I guess I'm always tempted by a nice editor UI smile In any case, it would be really great if you can send me sources for any widgets. Thanks in advance!! I'm just generally clueless to flash programming and anywhere I search for something on the web, all I find are links to elaborate screenshots full of flash tools smile Here is my mail id: techvd at yahoo dot com.

Also, sourceforge is a great idea. May be chumby should open a master project there where people can maintain their sources and collaborate on projects.

I use FlashDevelop and even if it's just an editor I really like it.

Code completion is great, and there are quite a few useful things (traces go in the output window and so on)

Also, I have created a template for the Chumby, with the scheleton of the main program and a few utilities (graphic methods, a couple of very basic components and a module for accessing the Chumby hardware)

I don't know if the FlashDevelop guys would want to add it to their templates, but I guess I could create a project on SourceForge or Google Code and post the sources. It would be great if there were other people interested in adding more useful components.

And here it is:
http://code.google.com/p/chumbydevelop/

Tomorrow I'll try to write some documentation, but basically all you need to do is install FlashDevelop 3 and then copy the folder "03 ActionScript 2 - Chumby" in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\FlashDevelop\Templates\ProjectTemplates

If the template would come preinstalled with FD it would be in C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\FirstRun\Templates\ProjectTemplates, but I don't know if there is a way to tell FlashDevelop to re-scan the source template folders.

Once you have the template, run FlashDevelop, select "New Project" and you should see "Chumby" in the list of templates for ActionScript 2. Select it, give a name to the folder and the project and go.

Build the project and test it, it should display a text message on a blue background. If that works, just go ahead and build the real app.

Note: I chose to copy all the "util" files (UI, Chumby and widgets) into each project. It makes everything easy.
Mtasc is smart enough to only compile the files you use so extra sources don't make your app any bigger.
And you can always remove the files you know you will not be using.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

7 (edited by Roadkill 2008-06-28 18:31:44)

I didn't have too much trouble getting your files out of the Subversion repository as I have some experience with source code control systems but I suspect many people will not be able to figure it out? I think you had .zip files of an older version at http://www.aromatic.org/chumby/ but that domain expired today? If you need someplace to host your .zip files please let me know. Also, I would be happy to make (and host) .zip files from the files in the repository and write up what I had to do to install them if you like (in the ChumbyWiki).
smile

I moved the three examples you made to a new folder "My Documents\FlashDevelop" as they really don't belong in the "ProjectTemplates" folder where they ended up when I naively checked everything out of the Repository at once.

Does this trashcan make my head look fat?

8 (edited by Roadkill 2008-06-28 18:39:36)

raff wrote:

If the template would come preinstalled with FD it would be in
C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\FirstRun\Templates\ProjectTemplates,
but I don't know if there is a way to tell FlashDevelop to re-scan the source template folders.

The "FirstRun" folder appears to just be a backup of what ends up installed in
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\FlashDevelop .
I deleted the "FirstRun" folder just to verify that it isn't used.
The folder to which you ended up installing your template is the correct one.
smile

There is also a similarly named "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data" folder (without the \Local Settings\ in it) which is the WRONG one to create "\FlashDevelop\Templates\ProjectTemplates" under to install the template in as I discovered on my first attempt.
sad

Does this trashcan make my head look fat?

oops! need to renew my aromatic.org domain sad

but you can access the files at aromatic.com (I own - or use to own sad - .com, .org and .net )

and I'll make a downloadable file for code.google.com.

thanks for the comments!

Here is a sample Chumby configuration widget that only requires FlashDevelop. I looked and looked for one and couldn't find one, so I wasted the better part of a week coming up with this. Its not pretty (either UI or code) but functional. There is a long readme on the issues including running the same code in the FlashDevelop debug environment and the Chumby web site. I hope this saves people time that they can more productively spend working on their main widget.

With Raff's template, I got a rev 0 version of my main widget up in a couple days, starting with no ActionScript experience. I hope this sample configuration widget can similarly speed others along with the configuration widget, all the while not requiring the $700 Adobe tool.

Here is the FlashDevelop source: http://www.clearsync.com/public/chumby/ … Widget.zip

The Meter example runs on my desktop but hangs when deployed to my 8" Infocast.  The other two examples run great.