Topic: Infocast 3.5 kernel sources & config?

Is there a location (possibly on files.chumby.com/sources) where I could download the current kernel source and config file for the Infocast 3.5"?  Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

Re: Infocast 3.5 kernel sources & config?

After some reading, I managed to extract the kernel .config from /proc/config.gz.  Not surprisingly, the build chokes if I try a make using falconwing 1.0.3.  Is 1.0.7 source available somewhere?  All of the links I've found on the forum are dead.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Tony

Are you trying to compile on the device?  I could never get it to compile on the Infocast 8 / BB8 (strange compiler errors), but it cross-compiles fine.  I also found files.chumby.com/sources pretty uselessly out of date (old silvermoon-tsb.c, no usable uboot .mk, no gst/bmm/s8xxx.)  Hopefully the situation on files.chumby is better for Falconwing?  All the BB8 files I end up building from I grepped out of the openembedded overlay.  Silly we have to snoop around just to find the right source.  I'd suggest the same to you, except I don't see much of anything for Falconwing in the OE files sad

Oy, well, you're not the only one: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=6065
(His last link works.)  Good luck!

Hi Stephan,

I'm trying to cross compile on my x86_64 box using the codesourcery arm-gcc toolchain.  I was able to "successfully" cross compile the falconwing 1.0.4 kernel from the files.chumby.com/source tarball and install it to my insignia 3.5 using config_util, but as other users have noted, it stalls on boot and the console is full of complaints about the lack of battery and the temperature indicating around 350degC.  Maybe I'll try again and tie the thermistor battery line to high or low with a 10K to see what happens.

I have not tried compiling the silvermoon kernel on-device for the Infocast 8.  I have, however, semi-successfully cross-compiled and loaded an openembedded build for the 8".  (semi-successfully because I had framebuffer issues that I was too busy to resolve at the time)  I have been less inclined to put any additional effort towards the 8" because when I e-mailed Marvell, they requested an NDA to obtain datasheets for the Armada PXA168.

Kindest regards,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Wish I could help you.  All I can suggest is grepping for those errors in the kernel source tree, especially of different tarballs (this is how I noticed silvermoon-tsb changed) to try and understand what's going on.  Perhaps you can simply change some .config options or comment things out and get it booting.  But toying with the hardware might work too.  I'm nervous to hear about your fb issues, I guess I should finally 'bitbake' OE myself and tinker.  Ohwell, it looks like the days of obtaining these gadgets cheaply may be gone so perhaps it's not worth the effort.  Kinda surprised after being out so long it doesn't seem like so many people are hacking them.  Godspeed man.. cheers,

stephan

Stephan,

Just to close out this thread, John responded to my inquiry over in the Insignia forums.  Through various magic and dark arts, he willed falconwing-1.0.7 kernel source to appear on http://files.chumby.com/source this morning.  I downloaded, cross-compiled, config_util'd and rebooted in <30 min, so I can confirm it works.  Also, for anyone who cares, I diff'd the /proc/config.gz before I updated the kernel against the included .config in the tarball, and they're identical.  Looks like we're golden.

With respect to obtaining gadgets cheaply, I will always bet on further relative price depreciation of compute power.

Cheers,
Tony