Topic: Moving SD cards from FreeScale EVK

Hi,

I have developed an application running from SD card (2GB) using the FreeScale imx233 EVK Evaluation board. This app and SD boot works fine on this development board. I have reviewed the Hacker Board and it rather closely matched the Freescale design. Just for a test I'd like to see if the SD boots on a Hacker Board. I have a Chumby 1 here (used in my home) and so I thought I'd just try my SD in it as a quick test before buying the Hacker Board. I just wanted to see the Boot debug.

Here is what I found: The Chumby SD will not boot on the FreeScale EVK dev board.
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/sit … e=IMX23EVK

Serial debug simply displays error code 0x8020a00f on power up. To me this indicates the Chumby SD is encrypted and ONLY can boot in a Chumby that has a the security fuses set for a KEY on the IMX23 to talk to the exact SD Boot that comes with the Chumby.

Could this be true?

Question. Does a real Chumby use the Imx233 internal security fuses to decode their SD at boot? More importantly, does anyone know if the Hacker Board has fuses are intact so I can try MY FreeScale SD Boot (not just the one that comes with the Hacker board)

Thanks all

Re: Moving SD cards from FreeScale EVK

I've never seen that error before.  It looks like it's "ERROR_DDI_SD_2_X_INCORRECT_CHECK_PATTERN", which would seem to indicate there was a problem reading data off the card.  Is there another SD card you can try?

Note that the default SB2 file is unencrypted.  We do create an "encrypted" boot image for the factory, but it's encrypted with a key that's all zeros, and really that image only exists to blow the ALLOW_UNENCRYPTED_BOOT fuse.  There is a key that has been burned in at the factory, but it's not used at all for booting.  If you were getting an error regarding a bad encryption key, it'd probably be something in the 0x8050100* range.

3 (edited by scotsdac 2011-01-15 05:34:00)

Thanks so much... OK ...more experimental data.

If I take a known good WinCE boot image (on SD that runs on my 233 EVK) and try it in a Chumby 1 then I get this on the Chumby 1 Serial

0x80501006  0x80502008  ...these cycle at 15 second intervals or so

I would think the SD card work at LEAST launch the eboot.sb.. (then after would not be able to run due to DDR memory etc)

Again.. this indicates the Chumby 1 does not want to see any BOOT other than the one that comes with the device. Unfortunately the my hacker board did not arrive here today.. otherwise I'd have a 2nd platform to do more discovery.

One more theory.... Memory. In this case the error message might ne a red-herring and the real answer is here

http://forums.freescale.com/t5/i-MX-Mic … td-p/60889

THANKS CL ...knowing there is nothing in the Chumby 1 CPU that is expecting crypto is a help. If you have any thoughts on above that would be great.

I'll keep everyone updated.

0x80501006 means "Key dictionary lookup failed".  0x80502008 means it tried to fallback to USB booting and that timed out.

Could it be that your SB2 file was built and encrypted NULL key?  This happens when you pass "-z" to elftosb2.  There's a key already burned into the device, whereas the EVK would have a key of all zeros.  Try rebuilding the SB2 file and omitting the "-z".

Sorry... I must have misunderstood your earlier note. You just said "a key is already burned into the device"....

Anyway in the meantime I have rec'd a Hacker board (today) and have the same issue. Does this imx23 on the hacker board also has "a key burned into the device".

i.e. is the Processor factory fresh...or does it too have fuses burned in at the factory manufacturing process. (i.e. unlike the Freescale EVK which is "all zeros".)

If a key is on the IMX-23 can it be removed...if so what happens?

(Sorry that this all sounds like I am mixup up... i am... I'll look around for more info in the docs to try to get myself educated)

Thank you for the time spent to answer me.

-s

There is a unique, random key burned on the device.  It's burned into OTP fuses, meaning you can't reset it to zero.  You can set it to all ones, though, but that's probably not very useful.  Try generating an unencrypted SB2 file and seeing if that will boot.

All good advise...thanks

I took a leap of faith to try an experiment. I have the day off so I grabbed a soldering iron.

#1  I removed the USB0 and removed hub/replaced all parts to enable the IMX23 USB a/b operation. Works great and enumerates as a HID device in Windows as soon as I plug it in to a PC.

#2  I hooked up BitBurner to read the fuses, with the SD card removed.

#3 I can see and select the device... but after just 1 second Bitburner says the device disconnects. Windows actually re-enumerates the USB port (I hear the connect/disconnect beep) It happens when I only when start to bitburner read.. so I am quite sure it is not a random disconnect/reconnect due to HW errors.

It seems to be telling me that the HackerBoard (i.e. imx23 fuse settings) does not want to accept the program that Bitburner is trying to load to read the fuses. Is it possible the fuses are set to even refuse a BitBurner link  ....to prevent any/all access?

Mysteries seem to be my achilles heel... I am not sure where I am even going with this ...other than the desire to see the fuse settings.

Thanks again
-s

scotsdac wrote:

All good advise...thanks

I took a leap of faith to try an experiment. I have the day off so I grabbed a soldering iron.

#1  I removed the USB0 and removed hub/replaced all parts to enable the IMX23 USB a/b operation. Works great and enumerates as a HID device in Windows as soon as I plug it in to a PC.

#2  I hooked up BitBurner to read the fuses, with the SD card removed.

#3 I can see and select the device... but after just 1 second Bitburner says the device disconnects. Windows actually re-enumerates the USB port (I hear the connect/disconnect beep) It happens when I only when start to bitburner read.. so I am quite sure it is not a random disconnect/reconnect due to HW errors.

It seems to be telling me that the HackerBoard (i.e. imx23 fuse settings) does not want to accept the program that Bitburner is trying to load to read the fuses. Is it possible the fuses are set to even refuse a BitBurner link  ....to prevent any/all access?

Mysteries seem to be my achilles heel... I am not sure where I am even going with this ...other than the desire to see the fuse settings.

Thanks again
-s

Hi Scotsdac, I have the same problem. When I connect my device with bitburner it automatically disconnects. I want to know if you solved that problem.

Thank you

Hi,

I am busy developing an i.mx233 based board, and want to use the hacker board instead of the more expensive EVK for a number of reasons including available peripherals. I have fired the new board up with no SD card response and am looking to use the CHB as a parallel development board. At the moment my problems are at a low level and that is why I would like to know if ANYONE has managed to use Bitburner on Chumby without the problems cited in this post. I have looked at the documentation and cannot seem to see why the i.mx233 would do this?

I would really appreciate a response before heading down this route as I not only need to build applications on top of a kernel, but need to get the whole kernel as supplied in LTIB to be compiled and targeted.

Thanks
Ian

The Chumby has internal fuses blow and you cannot use BitBurner to overwrite this.

I suspect that for the Hacker board to boot to WinCE you probably also need to replace the BGA

try AAPCB in Colorado ($50?)

A work around is to build a new evk image with ltib and edit the imx-bootlets-src make file to remove the -z parameter fed into elftosb2.  I did this and was able to boot the hacker board with an "evk" image.