Topic: Chumby downloads control panel and then goes black

When I power up my Chumby One, it starts with the usual intro (the octopus and the bubble sound), then it downloads the control panel and then it goes black and nothing happens. Plugging/unplugging just repeats this scenario.
It seems that below the dark screen the apps are continuing to run because touching the screen sometimes produces noises (eg from some goldfish app).
Can someone help me with this one (it seems to be similar to another recent post in the same thread).

Cheers

Re: Chumby downloads control panel and then goes black

It sounds like you have somehow got the brightness turned all the way down.

Go into Special Options mode (power up while touching the screen), and select "Restore factory defaults".

I tried this, but with (almost) the same result. After the "loading the control panel" screen it shortly shows its bright blue chumby screen (including some tentacles, I think), but it does not give me the option to change any settings before it goes black.
Does it matter when I touch the screen or whether I touch it once or all the time?

You have to keep touching it until it confirms that you're in Special Options mode.

I had this problem, and found that I had to try a few times to get it to start in Special Option mode. Turn the Chumby off and grasp it firmly with several fingers touching the screen. Keep gripping it, then turn it on and don't let go until Special Options comes up.

I tried this several times now (and probably will try again) but so far to no avail.
Any other suggestions?

Cheers

This happened to me a few months back. I booted from a usb flash drive with an image of the chumby software on it.

http://www.chumby.com/pages/updates_archive

Brian

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately it did not change anything. I tried to boot from a usb flash drive which has worked before (as an mp3 depository) but my Chumby does not even register its presence or so it seems.
I unplugged the Chumby, put in the flash drive and plugged it back in while touching the screen - the Chumby then starts the usual octopus intro, declares downloading the control panel and goes black.
Anything else I could do? Does this still look like a software problem?

Cheers,

Daniel

Beffroi,
  Please come see us at customer support.  We may have a few scripts you can run to help you solve this issue.
   Ross

Hi, I had the same problem this moring after my 3 year old was messing with chumby. I followed the instructions to rest the device - held it firmly while powering on to get the special options screen, chose factory reset, ran through the into video, reentered my network password, etc. and it works again. Thanks for the help!