Re: Web Browser

Well, the 1.0.5 update fixed my issue as well. Now only if I could figure out how to change the default home page from chumby to another one...

just edit the debugchumby file on the USB flash drive. It's at the bottom of the file, you cant miss it....dont use wordpad to edit it though, use notepad or something similar.

OK....just got the 8" Infocast and I am trying to put the browser on...I have had no luck.

Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to do this. I already tried putting the extracted Webkit browser files (from the wiki) on a USB drive and starting the device. All I get is the photo viewer dialog box. Not sure what I'm missing here...

jmc523 wrote:

I already tried putting the extracted Webkit browser files (from the wiki) on a USB drive and starting the device. All I get is the photo viewer dialog box. Not sure what I'm missing here...

You need to extract the files to the root of the USB drive.  The contents cannot be inside a folder.  Most zip extraction tools will automatically create a new folder and put the content in it.  If this is the case, move everything outside the folder and try again.

105 (edited by Shi 2010-12-28 04:57:57)

Just bought a 8" Infocast at BB. I have successfully hacked it with with webkit; however, I can't access control panal when the web browser is running. USB wireless keyboard is working well but the integrated mouse is disabled. Touch screen is working well. Can any expert can put the things into the device rather then in USB so that the machine can run web browser as an appl?

Hi
I got the browser working on Chumby One. I plugged a USB keyboard in and nothing sad Is there something that I need to do to get it to recognise the keyboard while running the browser?

Thanks....browser works now.
Any way to make the right scroll bar larger? I'm having no luck selecting it when browser is full screen.

Shi wrote:

Can any expert can put the things into the device rather then in USB so that the machine can run web browser as an appl?

In its current implementation, the web browser hack and the control panel are mutually exclusive.  As I've mentioned before, we're working on some interesting things with the web browser, so stay tuned...

Hello all,

Just got my Infocast the other day and love it!  I'm trying to get the web-browser to run but I'd rather not use a USB stick.  I copied all of the files to /mnt/storage/web and copied debugchumby to startbrowser.sh and updated all of the directory locations there.  What's happening now though is when I try to run ts_calibrate or the browser I get "./ts_calibrate: error while loading shared libraries: libts-0.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" .  I've added the new lib directory to the path, is this something that can be fixed without a recompile?

Thanks,
Scott

guyofsound wrote:

What's happening now though is when I try to run ts_calibrate or the browser I get "./ts_calibrate: error while loading shared libraries: libts-0.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" .

You need to modify your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to specify where the new libs are located.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/storage/web/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Awesome!  I was hoping it was going to be something like that.  I'll try it when I get home from work tonight.

Scott

I tried your pre-built image on my 8" Infocast and it worked perfectly! You rock!

113 (edited by guyofsound 2010-12-30 22:54:44)

I've applied all of the suggestions provided thus far and I now have the wv_falconwing browser launching properly!  I too however am experiencing a strange touchscreen issue.  The Y movement of the touchscreen seems to be inverted -- moving my finger left to right the cursor tracks properly (although I seem to be experiencing the scaling issue).  However, when I move my finger up the pointer moves down and vice versa.  If I try to run ts_calibrate manually it fails and says "ts_open: no such file or directory".  I'm having no luck trying to figure out which file its looking for.  Running from my browser.sh script (modified debugchumby script so I can launch from the /mnt/storage directory) I get ts_config:success and then the browser launches.

UPDATE -- got ts_calibrate to successfully run (AKA not crash) -- the TSLIB_TSDEVICE environment variable wasn't set.  Now what I'm getting is

chumby:/mnt/storage/web# bin/ts_calibrate
Couldnt load module input
No raw modules loaded.
ts_config: Success

Doesn't matter which file I uncomment in ts.conf, I always get the same error.

Scott

OK, another update.  I found and set the TSLIB_PLUGIN directory and now ts_calibrate runs.  I get the 5 crosshairs to click on but as soon as the browser launches I still have the inverted and improperly scaled movement as described above.

Scott

I have mine installed on my storage and i run mine from the control panel!

i'm thinking of making a install script for it the default would be mouse enabled and have another for no mouse and ofcourse a uninstall script

Hey MattDog,

What are you doing to launch from the control panel?  Did you write a control panel yourself?

Scott

118 (edited by MattDog 2010-12-31 10:39:02)

nope i just ovewrote one of the scripts to launch it fb_cgi.sh launches it for me!
i don't use it so i figured what the hell!

Does anyone know of there is a way to invoke a screensaver when using this Web Browser?  I have successfully installed the full screen version that was posted in this thread, but it would be nice to have the screen go blank after a few minutes of idle.  Is this possible?

Thanks

idk if is possible almost done with the install files big_smile gonna try on my chumby first of course!
but when i do release it if it breaks yours i'm not responsible!

121 (edited by johnnybwis 2010-12-31 15:58:57)

akashk wrote:

Well, the 1.0.5 update fixed my issue as well. Now only if I could figure out how to change the default home page from chumby to another one...

How do you know which firmware(?) you are running. My touch is not working correctly how do I update to 1.0.5?
Edit....
Found the file, touchscreen still not right.

MattDog wrote:

nope i just ovewrote one of the scripts to launch it fb_cgi.sh launches it for me!
i don't use it so i figured what the hell!

Could you detail how to do this?

Thanks!!

123 (edited by us035976 2011-01-01 20:14:35)

Ken wrote:
JeepGoesBeep wrote:

chumby:~# chumby_version -s

Ah, that explains it - you're running a old version of the firmware.  If you install the update to the latest firmware (1.0.4), the touch screen issue should go away without needing to modify the debugchumby script.  Note, however, that OTA updates are currently suspended until v1.0.5 is available, which should also be coming out very soon (waiting on approval from Best Buy).

I just checked mine and I got versions:  (This is on the smaller 3.5" infocast model bought just last week)
SW=1.0.7
HW=10.7
FW=1.0.3454

Hey, I downloaded your prebuilt 4.6.3 web browser and have it running on my infocast with a keyboard great. I am actually using it to type this message now!  But I have a few questions. 1. How can I save my bookmarks without them being deleted on a reboot? 2. How can I change my homepage to something like Yahoo!?   Now I am not very good with code so if I have to use code i will need  some step by step instuctions. Thanks!

jozabo1 wrote:

Hey, I downloaded your prebuilt 4.6.3 web browser and have it running on my infocast with a keyboard great. I am actually using it to type this message now!  But I have a few questions. 1. How can I save my bookmarks without them being deleted on a reboot? 2. How can I change my homepage to something like Yahoo!?   Now I am not very good with code so if I have to use code i will need  some step by step instuctions. Thanks!

If I am correct, the bookmarks are hardcoded within the binary so there isn't an easy way to change or add the bookmarks. However, you can redirect the starting webpage by editing the debugchumby file in the root directory of the usb drive. In the last line, edit 'www.chumby.com' to 'http://www.yourwebsite.com'. Make sure to use Notepad instead of Wordpad to edit this file, as Wordpad will insert carriage returns and mess it up. Save the file after editing and plug the usb in, turn on the chumby, and the browser should bring up your desired webpage.

I can't as yet figure out how to get flash working with the browser in order to stream videos and audio?