1 (edited by rocket19 2010-12-31 03:32:39)

Topic: WiFi nightmare

Hi all
i got my chumby a week ago and i love it but i just can't connect it to my wifi....i tried everything from the troubleshoot page.
i'm using a buffalo router. i even switched off encryption but still no success. signal strength is perfect. i also registered chumby's mac address on the router and switched channels but it keeps saying "chumby.com is unreachable"
i went to a friends place to try it on his network and it worked perfectly, so i made the software update and tried some widgets, it worked.
we compared the router settings but couldnt find out what it might be.
has anyone an idea what it could be?

Re: WiFi nightmare

Rocket19, please send us an e-mail at customer support, we will be more than happy to troubleshoot this issue with you. http://www.chumby.com/pages/help_support

thank's, i did

Have you tried using a static IP?
With my old Netcomm router, this was the only way to make the Chumbys connect, even when using ethernet. Now that I have a new D link router, they all work fine on automatic via ethernet and wireless.

hi steelpaw
the setup menu of my router is a bit confusing, i tried to figure out where to set to a static ip but i wasn't quite successful yet. will try again.
thank's for the tip.

I had to set up my chumby one with a static IP address too. You do this on the chumby, not the router. Just make sure you don't pick a used IP address.

7 (edited by rocket19 2011-01-04 13:25:52)

thank's...
i just tried it but still doesnt work....i almost got to the point of kicking that router..... sad

Make sure you are not somehow using mac filtering and make sure that the router its trying to connect too is actually yours. I have a nextdoor neighbor whose signal is actually stronger than mine in certain parts of the house.

umm i just checked, mac filtering is off... and its deffinitely my router i'm connecting to.
i just got a message from the support, they had cases, in switzerland and germany, where the problem was caused by the internet provider....
checking this now.

nothing works

When you tried entering a static IP - did you check first that no other device on your network was using it?

Did you enter a DNS server; default gateway and subnet mask correctly?

yeah, was checking all the other ip's of all devices. subnet mask was given and is same as shown in the router settings diagnosis. as well i got the dns server and default gateway from the router diagnosis.

what i heard is that the chumby can handle wireless g only mode and i'm not quite sure if my router is set to this mode. i couldn't find out in the router settings.....i got a buffalo whr-g300n.
does anybody have experience with this router?

rocket19 wrote:

yeah, was checking all the other ip's of all devices. subnet mask was given and is same as shown in the router settings diagnosis. as well i got the dns server and default gateway from the router diagnosis.

what i heard is that the chumby can handle wireless g only mode and i'm not quite sure if my router is set to this mode. i couldn't find out in the router settings.....i got a buffalo whr-g300n.
does anybody have experience with this router?

I have exactly the same connection problem as the starter of this topic has. I also have a buffalo whr-g300n. I always get this message:

"wlan0 link is down
failed to obtain IP-address
chumby.com is unreachable"

Chumby connects easily to my HTC Desire wifi hotspot, but not to my home wlan. Can anyone help?