Topic: Anyone have a Squeezecenter music client working on an Infocast?

Hi...

Really new to this.  Haven't even picked up a 3.5" infocast (but did go as far as to check local store stock).

So, does anyone have a Squeezecenter music client working on an Infocast?  Actually, I'm not even sure how to load up such an application let alone create one.  Can someone give a 10K foot view of the process?

-thanks

Re: Anyone have a Squeezecenter music client working on an Infocast?

Are you looking to do something like this? 

http://www.chumby.com/pages/cp_squeeze

The 3.5" Infocast has it built in.  I don't have a server to connect to but can see the config screens displayed.

Sweet!

I have got to learn my way around this place.

So this is built in.  Hum.  I wonder.  Is the source code available?  Do Chumby and Infocast owners write or enhance any of this stuff?  For instance, I don't see any album covers being displayed by the Chumby / Infocast box.  Is it conceivable I could add it.

-thanks

I just bought the larger Infocast today and have kind of an advanced question:

I also use a Squeezebox (the Duet system) and have considered keeping the Infocast at my office and then trying to access music through a stream at my office.  I use DynDNS versus an IP address and I use a different public port, which gets forwarded to the port 9000 that the SqueezeCenter uses from the server PC.

It appears that you can only insert a numeric IP4 address into the SqueezeCenter screen on a Chumby device.  Has anyone else had a desire (or figured out a way) to use a text-based Domain Name and a different port?

I will still get a lot of use out of this device at home within my subnet but it would be cool to take this thing anywhere and have access to the music library!

Thanks.

I've got to ask, unless your music collection is just huge, why not "sneaker net" to work on a thumb drive?

On to the challenge...

You said Squeezecenter uses port 9000 for music?  Does it use another port for control?  I don't remember.  That's smart to alias the port to confuse any hackers.  Still, I would look into also only allowing the IP of your work place access to your home network (if at all possible (i.e. you firewall needs this feature and your work's IP needs to be static)). Using the IP number is easier then using a domain name.   If you use a domain name your program (the squeezecenter client on the chumby) would have to then know about a DNS to convert the name to an IP number. But I have to ask, can the chumby squeezecenter client use a different port number?  It should be easy - but last I implemented a squeeze center client, I don't think I gave the end user that option.

So, does anyone know if the source code for the squeezecenter client is available.  You could have a look at that and try your hand at involving a DNS as part of the package.  That way you could enter your domain name and have the chumby look up the IP number from an outside DNS.

If that turns out to be difficult (although there should be plenty of canned examples of DNS look ups), maybe there's a way the chumby squeezecenter client can ask your dynamicDNS service for the IP number.  Like scrape a web page given a URL which includes your domain name as an argument for instance.

What would I do?  My provider doesn't change my IP very often.  I would probably be lazy about it, look it up and use that number until it stopped working.  Then look up the new number again.

Be warned, some companies don't like streaming and have locked such protocols out with one type of method or other.

-good luck

Well, I tried it - the (built in Chumby/Infocast) Squeezecenter (now own by Ligitech)  (a.k.a. Slimserver) music client... 

I give it only 2 out of 5 stars. 

Mainly because I don't think there is a way to control play back.  In fact, anyone not that familiar with Squeezecenter will probably think it is just broken.  I had to log into a PC and point its controls at a Squeezecenter client I never heard of.  I assume the Squeezecenter client name is fixed to something like "indigo" inside the program running on the Chumby/Infocast box.  What ever it was I know it's not the name I gave the Chumby/Infocast box.  I queued up a play list and the Chumby/Infocast started playing.

So, beware, unless someone here explains otherwise, the Chumby/Infocast Squeezecenter client will not work with out some other computer controlling what is being played back.  FYI, that point of control can be the Squeezecenter server - but that begs the question why buy a separate Chumby/Infocast device as you must be sitting in front of a server/computer device which is capable of playing back music its self.

---

So, on a different note - if I were to write a new more feature rich Squeezecenter client where do I start?  How do I get the software into my Chumby?  I would prefer an all Linux SDK.

-thanks

I had squeezecenter connected to my infocast but with no aac support (at least not without a plug-in), it isn't worth it. I would just use a flash-drive.

Several questions... 

1) Does any Logitec / SqueezeBox natively support AAC? 
2) How does the Chumby identify its self to SqueezeCenter?
3) Has anyone modified SqueezeCenter specifically for the Chumby?

I would have thought that if the Chumby masqueraded as a 1st generation SqueezeBox that SqueezeCenter should have transparently transcoded the AAC to something like MP3.  What do you see (hear) when playing back AAC encoded files on an Infocast?