Topic: Chumby on Archos 101 Internet Tablet not working

Hi,

I just installed Chumby on my Archos 101 but when I try to start I get an error "The application chumby (process com.chumby.controlpanel.activities) has stopped unexpected" (well.. it tell me something like this in Dutch big_smile ).
So I can't start Chumby.

Are there other people having the same problem?

Re: Chumby on Archos 101 Internet Tablet not working

Are you running Froyo?  I think you need Android 2.2 to run the app.

Yes, i'm running froyo, and the latest firmware from archos (released today).

4 (edited by Troyus Chumbyus 2010-12-16 15:15:08)

marqvds wrote:

Hi,

I just installed Chumby on my Archos 101 but when I try to start I get an error "The application chumby (process com.chumby.controlpanel.activities) has stopped unexpected" (well.. it tell me something like this in Dutch big_smile ).
So I can't start Chumby.

Are there other people having the same problem?

Hi there marqvds, this is an interesting problem you have, so let's see what we can deduce! First step is, can you please confirm the issue is reproducible, (does it happen everytime you attempt to start the chumby app or only sometimes, or just once?)

The next question would be, is your device 'jail-breaked' for froyo or did it come pre-installed?

Next, is Flash installed on your device? (Check Android Settings --> Manage Applications --> Adobe Flash Player 10.1)
(If not, please install Flash Player 10.1 and re-try the chumby app.)

Depending on the answer to these questions we can move forward and apply more technical assistance to solving the problem.

Thanks!

-Troyus

Exact same problem on Nationite MID. Flash 10.1 and Froyo 2.2 installed. The Chumby App won't even start.

I think we know what the problem is - every device is *supposed* to have a unique number called an "ANDROID_ID".  It turns out a lot of manufacturers are not doing this properly, and simply shipping with the ID used by the emulator used by developers.

What the app does when it sees this is try to use the IMEI - however, it appears that some of these tablets do not have that either.

I'm working on a workaround for this, but the bottom line is that these devices are not in compliance with Google's requirements for a unique ID.

7 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2010-12-17 03:41:23)

Duane wrote:

I think we know what the problem is - every device is *supposed* to have a unique number called an "ANDROID_ID".  It turns out a lot of manufacturers are not doing this properly, and simply shipping with the ID used by the emulator used by developers.

What the app does when it sees this is try to use the IMEI - however, it appears that some of these tablets do not have that either.

I'm working on a workaround for this, but the bottom line is that these devices are not in compliance with Google's requirements for a unique ID.

Would it be possible to download the SDK for Android and set-up the emulator, copy the ID created and use that number for the Android device. I know a lot of people were using this method to hack the official Android market onto tablets that did not support Android market.

Details at Slatedroid.com

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

We have a solution to this issue - it's in test now.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Would it be possible to download the SDK for Android and set-up the emulator, copy the ID created and use that number for the Android device. I know a lot of people were using this method to hack the official Android market onto tablets that did not support Android market.

The problem is that *all* emulators use the same ID, which means that all such devices would be indistinguishable to the chumby service (we use the ANDROID_ID to generate the GUID used by other chumby devices).

It appears what we're seeing is (a) hacked devices that do not have properly generated ANDROID_ID, and (b) devices shipping from manufacturers that are not properly creating a production firmware image, and also shipping with the emulator ANDROID_ID.

This would be like a PC OEM shipping the same copy of Windows on every PC, using the MSDN serial number.

I have to say, the Android ecosystem is amazingly fragmented and basic device requirements are not enforced - we have several devices in house that purport to have the same version of Android that behave totally differently.

Duane wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

The problem is that *all* emulators use the same ID, which means that all such devices would be indistinguishable to the chumby service (we use the ANDROID_ID to generate the GUID used by other chumby devices).

It appears what we're seeing is (a) hacked devices that do not have properly generated ANDROID_ID, and (b) devices shipping from manufacturers that are not properly creating a production firmware image, and also shipping with the emulator ANDROID_ID.

This would be like a PC OEM shipping the same copy of Windows on every PC, using the MSDN serial number.

I have to say, the Android ecosystem is amazingly fragmented and basic device requirements are not enforced - we have several devices in house that purport to have the same version of Android that behave totally differently.

Perhaps this makes some sense:

http://sld.slatedroid.com/wiki/index.ph … e_Emulator

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Ah, interesting - well I think it's probably a bit excessive to ask our customers to go through that procedure, but you're right, it seems like it would address this for thew hacker types.

In any case, we do have a more conventional fix which we're pretty confident we can release shortly.

OK, the new update (1.1) is now available in Market.  Please accept the update and you should be on your way!

1.1 doesnt work on my Archos 70 running the latest firmware as of this morning.

What are the symptoms of the problem?

Does it simply crash or does it generate some other error?

At this point, we're only getting reports of issues with Archos products - the update seems to have addressed issues with everything else we know of.

What would be helpful for us to track this down - in the Settings->About phone:

1) Model Number
2) Android version
3) Kernel version
4) Build number

In Settings->Status:

1) Let us know if it has an IMEI, if so, how many digits - you don't need to give us the actual number
2) Let us know if it has a WiFi MAC address - you don't need to give us the actual number

If you have the equipment and expertise to capture logcat output of the failure, that would also be immensely helpful.

We'll also try to obtain some of these devices to diagnose the problem.

One other thing - my understanding is that Archos tablets don't *officially* support Android Market, and that it's generally added by an unofficial hack.  If that's the case with these devices, we'd like to know, if only because it would help us track down the issue.

Same issue 1.1  not working on archos 101 internet tablet.  Flash and froyo.instaalled and working.! I have sent several crash reports

The market submitted crash reports should have all the info you need

OK, we've identified the issue with the Archos devices - they return null for the ANDROID_ID instead of a valid string, which makes these devices *way* out of compliance.  However, I've added a workaround for this particular case.

We're preparing an update.

18 (edited by bradgog 2010-12-19 14:11:16)

I am guessing because they are not really designed for the android market and are basically building straight from AOSP without google guidance, GPL has its + and - but I greatly appreciate your fix on this and feel like my 4.99 was well spent!!

Do expect to post the update to the market today?

Sorry, probably not today, it being Sunday and all.  I've prepped the update and will be passing it to QA today, but they'll need to test it before it goes to Market.  The change is relatively minor.  While I was in there I addressed a couple other unusual edge conditions, also from odd devices.

very good, thank you, Archos owners appreciate the support

any update to this....update?

We're still holding on sign-off from QA.

We've also ordered an Archos 101 for testing, so this update will be based entirely on examining the crash logs, not direct testing on the offending device. It's still possible that something might happen once we've passed that point, but it's unlikely.

Duane wrote:

We're still holding on sign-off from QA.

We've also ordered an Archos 101 for testing, so this update will be based entirely on examining the crash logs, not direct testing on the offending device. It's still possible that something might happen once we've passed that point, but it's unlikely.

Wow, great service!
I already like the app!

any update to 1.2, it has changelog in the market but the market still has 1.1 loaded in it

We're looking into it.

EDIT: OK, please try again.