1 (edited by kachibachi 2010-12-09 07:38:24)

Topic: Pandora Missing as source

I just bought the Insignia Infocast 3.5"

Activation and update went swimmingly well, but my 13yr old noticed that Pandora is not listed as a source.

Should it be there by default, or do I have to add it manually using a url?

I am located in Miami, which technically is in the US of A, even though culturally it feels like it isn't.

Cheers

KachiBachi hmm

Re: Pandora Missing as source

kachibachi wrote:

I just bought the Insignia Infocast 3.5"

Activation and update went swimmingly well, but my 13yr old noticed that Pandora is not listed as a source.

Should it be there by default, or do I have to add it manually using a url?

I am located in Miami, which technically is in the US of A, even though culturally it feels like it isn't.

Cheers

KachiBachi hmm

Pandora is a downloaded automatically by the device. Try turning the device off and back on. After apps begin playing, wait about 30 secs, then from the control panel select MUSIC - Pandora Radio should be the first station listed. If it is not, that could be an indication of a low Wi-Fi signal. In which case, you may need to move the device closer to your access point or vice versa to improve your signal strength.

If you need further assistance please visit: http://insignia.chumby.com/pages/help_support and they will be happy to assist you.

That was it.

Many thanks

I have an Insignia Infocast NS-DP3CH which I use at work, with an ethernet hardwire connection via Linksys USB100M adapter. It has been working fine for about a week, playing apps in the channels defined via Chumby.com, and playing streaming audio from Shoutcast and Pandora.

Earlier today, the Pandora app stopped working. It would say it was loading each station I clicked on, but then never connect. I tried re-booting the Chumby, and now Pandora does not even appear as a source in the list of Music sources. Other audio sources continue to work properly, so its not a network issue.

What gives? Has Pandora been withdrawn from Chumby distribution?

We're on it.  Looks like a problem with one of the servers.

codex24 wrote:

I have an Insignia Infocast NS-DP3CH which I use at work, with an ethernet hardwire connection via Linksys USB100M adapter. It has been working fine for about a week, playing apps in the channels defined via Chumby.com, and playing streaming audio from Shoutcast and Pandora.

Earlier today, the Pandora app stopped working. It would say it was loading each station I clicked on, but then never connect. I tried re-booting the Chumby, and now Pandora does not even appear as a source in the list of Music sources. Other audio sources continue to work properly, so its not a network issue.

This has been fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

7 (edited by codex24 2010-12-14 12:17:57)

CWard wrote:
codex24 wrote:

This has been fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Duane, CWard, I appreciate the fast response and turnaround. After rebooting again, Pandora is listed as music source, and indeed works as well.

In the interest of being a better educated consumer, if not Chumbologist, can you provide a more detailed explanation of what the issue and the fix were? I was under the impression that the music player and configuration (i.e., list of sources) were part of the firmware and would not change unless the firmware is updated, but this incident seems to disprove that. Thanks for the info.

Pandora and iheartradio (which was also missing) are a bit different than the rest of the music sources.  Unlike SHOUTcast, etc, these two are *not* built in, but rather downloaded upon boot.  This allows us to change them without having to do either a firmware or Control Panel update.  Ideally, some of the other music sources would also be migrated out of the device to give us similar flexibility to do updates.

We've been doing a lot of server reconfiguring lately in order to prepare for (a) scaling to handle a *lot* of devices that have been sold as Christmas presents but won't be activated until then, and (b) a couple of new products that will be coming out.  it's tricky to do that while maintaining a running service serving data to (insert big number here) devices in the field.

What happened is that one of the virtual hosts was slightly misconfigured, and we fixed it.  Unfortunately, this particular host served up the Flash movies that implement that Pandora service on the client.

Wow, an official, helpful, prompt, and technically competent answer to a question about a product I bought from BestBuy? Pinch me, I'm dreaming!

Thanks, Duane.

Duane wrote:

Pandora and iheartradio (which was also missing) are a bit different than the rest of the music sources.  Unlike SHOUTcast, etc, these two are *not* built in, but rather downloaded upon boot.  This allows us to change them without having to do either a firmware or Control Panel update.  Ideally, some of the other music sources would also be migrated out of the device to give us similar flexibility to do updates.

We've been doing a lot of server reconfiguring lately in order to prepare for (a) scaling to handle a *lot* of devices that have been sold as Christmas presents but won't be activated until then, and (b) a couple of new products that will be coming out.  it's tricky to do that while maintaining a running service serving data to (insert big number here) devices in the field.

What happened is that one of the virtual hosts was slightly misconfigured, and we fixed it.  Unfortunately, this particular host served up the Flash movies that implement that Pandora service on the client.

Hi,
   I am having  a similar problem - i am in melbourne australia, which as you know is the 52nd state of the US - well it sometimes seems like it smile Can you put my IP address range in your servers please as I quite like pandora.

cheers

Nigel
smile smile smile