Re: Web Browser

damen,

Sounds like what you really want is a simple Qt WebView instance.  Creating a WebView in Qt is pretty straight forward - there are several in the examples/webkit directory in your Qt source tree.  You can find all the documentation for QWebView for Qt 4.6.3 here - http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qwebview.html

If you choose to use Qt 4.7.1, the QWebView documentation can be found here - http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/qwebview.html

Essentially, all you need to do is something like this:

#include <QApplication>
#include <QWebView>

int main( int argc, char **argv )
{
    QApplication app( argc, argv );

QWebView *view = new QWebView();
    if( argc < 2 )
    {
        view->load( QUrl( "http://www.chumby.com/" ) );
    }
    else
    {
        view->load( QUrl( argv[1] ) );
    }

// make full screen
    view->setWindowFlags( Qt::FramelessWindowHint );
    view->resize( 800, 600 );

view->show();

return( app.exec() );
}

I've posted a 'wv' binary that does exactly this here - http://files.chumby.com/browser/wv

To run it, copy wv to your USB drive (where you have the other browser installed) and modify your debugchumby script to call it like so:

/mnt/usb/wv -qws 'http://www.chumby.com'

Note that you must specify "http://" in any URL that you supply.

Ken, 'wv' is just what I was looking for! Thank you.

And just case you don't have enough things to do, a build of it for Falconwing would be helpful, so I can use it on my 3.5" infocast as well. But you've don't plenty for today and I can be patient :-)

chrissm wrote:

And just case you don't have enough things to do, a build of it for Falconwing would be helpful, so I can use it on my 3.5" infocast as well. But you've don't plenty for today and I can be patient :-)

Try running the wv binary on your Falconwing setup... it *should* work.

thanks, I'll give it a try

Ken, you are officially my hero.  Thank you!

Just wanted to comment that wv is a winner for me as well. I basically have been looking for a device to sit on my desk with a view of our monitoring system (Nagios) so that it wouldn't ever be obscured by other windows. The infocast+wv is exactly what I envisioned.

Thanks a bunch!

Ken wrote:
chrissm wrote:

Try running the wv binary on your Falconwing setup... it *should* work.

Actually, 800x600 was hardcoded in wv, so I created a wv_falconwing that resizes to 320x240 and posted it here - http://files.chumby.com/browser/wv_falconwing

Ken, thanks, that's a big improvement. The browser chrome had been about 20% of the screen on the 3.5" infocast. This is much better!

Ken - Thanks for compiling those for us. Can I ask - were these compiled using Scratchbox, as detailed in the wiki, or does a different cross compiler need to be set up for the BB8 Infocast?

I just got the Infocast I ordered during Black Friday.  I downloaded the USB image to a USB drive and booted the Infocast from the drive. The Web browser works great except for one thing--I'm having a real problem creating or retaining bookmarks.

This is what I've tried so far:

1. Saved bookmarks while using the browser.  This worked during the session, but the new bookmarks were gone next boot.

2. Added new bookmarks to the defaultbookmarks.xbel file.  I used Notepad and did copy and paste of some existing bookmarks so as to not lose any hidden characters.  When I rebooted, none of the new bookmarks showed up.

3. Modified a couple of the existing bookmarks in the defaultbookmarks.xbel file.  I overwrote the addresses and titles of the first couple bookmarks.  Again, when I rebooted, the new addresses and titles didn't show up.  In fact, all the original bookmarks (including the ones I had overwritten) were still there!

4. Tried a fresh image on the USB Drive, modified a couple existing bookmarks in defaultbookmarks.xbel, rebooted...same problem!

So what am I doing wrong?  Is there a different file that needs to be modified?  Have all the original bookmarks been saved on the Infocast itself and, if so, can they be deleted without too much difficulty?

I'm not really technical enough in this area (no Linux knowledge) to feel comfortable hacking the Infocast itself, but the USB image is a super alternative if I can get it to work.

Oh, one other question.  When the browser comes up on the Infocast, it opens in an area in the upper left-hand corner.  Is there something in the USB image files that can be modified to open a larger browser (but not completely full-screen) for the Infocast?

I would appreciate any help, but--one way or the other--thanks immensely for the browser.

oldfolkie

decktech wrote:

Ken - Thanks for compiling those for us. Can I ask - were these compiled using Scratchbox, as detailed in the wiki, or does a different cross compiler need to be set up for the BB8 Infocast?

Scratchbox was not used.  These were compiled using the GNU GCC 4.3.2 toolchain as stated in the prereqs section of the Web Browser entry on the wiki.

oldfolkie wrote:

I just got the Infocast I ordered during Black Friday.  I downloaded the USB image to a USB drive and booted the Infocast from the drive. The Web browser works great except for one thing--I'm having a real problem creating or retaining bookmarks.

I noticed this a while back as well.  The file is definitely saved to persistent storage, but when the browser is restarted it doesn't load the bookmarks for some reason.  It's possible that it's a bug in the Qt 4.6.3.  When I have some time, I'll see if linking against 4.7.1 fixes the problem.

oldfolkie wrote:

Oh, one other question.  When the browser comes up on the Infocast, it opens in an area in the upper left-hand corner.  Is there something in the USB image files that can be modified to open a larger browser (but not completely full-screen) for the Infocast?

I posted instructions for setting the browser size in this entry.  It will require that you rebuild the browser however...

Using the binary .zip on my 8" infocast, I am having problems with the touchscreen.

Using the silvermoon .zip without any changes, the browser pops up after start-up (taking up about 3/4 of the screen) with a visible cursor, but the touchscreen is completely unresponsive. 

If I comment out the export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=Tslib line in the debubchumby script file, then a mouse will work, and the touchscreen will be responsive, but it has the mentioned scaling problem with the touchscreen input. 

I would appreciate any help.

Does your touch screen work properly during normal operation?

The debugchumby script loads a modified touch screen diver that corrects the scaling problem when using the touch screen.

Yes, it works fine during normal operation.  As I mentioned, the touch screen is responsive with the special binary usb when the TSlib library is not loaded according to the wiki instructions for using a mouse, but scaling does not work (I understand that this is the expected situation).  However, when the binary is used without any modifications, then the touch screen is completely not responsive.

I have multiple 8" Infocasts, and on some the touchscreen driver works fine, on others it does not work at all. The mouse driver always works, but with the scaling problem. (all work fine in normal Chumby operation)

FYI, i did some poking around, and it appears something is wrong when it gets to ts_calibrate. The calibration program doesn't seem to run (I don't see any calibration on the screen), although it does get to the inside of that if clause.  I assume that means something is wrong with ts_calibrate that stops it from creating any calibration files. 

I tried to compile tslib on my own, but I kept getting dependency errors in running ./autogen.sh.  First that perl didn't exist, and then after installing the binary perl distrib on here, missing CPAN modules (like File.pm).  I confirmed that those perl modules are missing from all the binary tar-zips on the chumby wiki.  I assume that it requires something like autoconf and automake, but I can't build any of those using the normal install directories since I get errors about read-only partitions for where they want to install.

mymonkeyman wrote:

I tried to compile tslib on my own, but I kept getting dependency errors in running ./autogen.sh.  First that perl didn't exist, and then after installing the binary perl distrib on here, missing CPAN modules (like File.pm).  I confirmed that those perl modules are missing from all the binary tar-zips on the chumby wiki.  I assume that it requires something like autoconf and automake, but I can't build any of those using the normal install directories since I get errors about read-only partitions for where they want to install.

Sounds like you're trying to build tslib on the chumby itself?  You may be better off building using the GNU GCC 4.3.2 Toolchain and following the instructions on the wiki.

Ken wrote:
mymonkeyman wrote:

Sounds like you're trying to build tslib on the chumby itself?  You may be better off building using the GNU GCC 4.3.2 Toolchain and following the instructions on the wiki.

Ugh, I don't have spare linux box laying around right now.  I thought the Infocast was meant to allow compiling on it (that's why there is a script to download gcc and related tools when you type in gcc).  Any idea why the tslib binaries aren't working on some infocasts but is working on others?

Yes, the Infocast does include gcc support, however some things like autoconf and a complete Perl environment are not currently included.

I'm not sure why some Infocast units are experiencing touch screen issues.  I haven't seen this on any of the infocast units that I've tested.  If I'm able to reproduce the touch screen problem on one of our Infocast units, I'll look into it.

Are you able to run /mnt/usb/bin/ts_calibrate manually?  What are the contents of /etc/pointercal?  Try running the contents of the debugchumby script manually and see where it fails for you.  I'm wondering if there is a problem loop mounting /mnt/storage/browser_etc on /etc on some units...

Has anyone else had an issue with the Qt WebView instance? I can run browser and full-screen browser fine, but when I try just the WebView instance, all I get is a white screen and the mouse pointer, it doesn't load any webpage. I'm calling it in debugchumby in place of the browser (/mnt/storage/wherever/wv -qws 'www.reddit.com')

decktech wrote:

Has anyone else had an issue with the Qt WebView instance? I can run browser and full-screen browser fine, but when I try just the WebView instance, all I get is a white screen and the mouse pointer, it doesn't load any webpage. I'm calling it in debugchumby in place of the browser (/mnt/storage/wherever/wv -qws 'www.reddit.com')

You need to specify the protocol via: http://www.reddit.com

/mnt/storage/wherever/wv -qws 'http://www.reddit.com'

Hi,

Ok i got the browser working in fullscreen on my infocast i got yesterday.
But no mouse i have works.
and no touch screen. sad

I'm not super tech savy.. is there a ready made file on the web i can download that would give me mouse support or touchscreen support?

I downloaded the one ready made file.. but the screen was small.. so i downloaded the other file and replaced the browser file and got it to goto fullscreen.

Also does the mouse have to be a older ball style.. or should a laser mouse work.. i have tried 5 laser mice and none work.

Thanks

I have two of these 8 inch infocasts thanks to the recent sale. I got one over a week ago and was almost immediately updated to sw version 1.04 and fw version 1.0.3236 from an automatic update.

The second one I got three days ago and is at sw version 1.01 and fw version 1.0.3015. This one has the no ts_calibrate problem (fails to run and no touchscreen support once browser is running).

I don't have any logs to verify or anything, but I'd guess that the issue is likely caused by the older software version being incompatible with the altered ts_calibrate binary.

The problem with that is that this infocast has not decided to acknowledge there is an over the air update available. I tried executing some of the update discovery scripts in /usr/chumby/scripts and the service at http://update.chumby.com/update/text comes back with an update none reply even though there should be an update available.

Can anyone provide any insight on why this infocast with known older software would not get the update (it otherwise has connections verified by widget connectivity)? The startup forced upgrade check by touching the screen does not offer me an over the air update neither. Additionally, I'm unable to locate a download of the software to download and load manually with a usb drive.

We currently have updates disabled - they should be resuming shortly.