Topic: Chumby One won't connect via ethernet

I woke up this morning to my other alarm clock because the alarm (Nightingale) on my C1 didn't sound, and nor did its backup alarm. The reason they didn't sound is because the Chumby was not connected to the internet (I know the backup alarm is supposed to sound regardless of internet status, but it has always been a bit iffy on my C1).
When I try to establish a connection, I get this message:
Network connection failed
eth0 link is down
failed to obtain IP address
chumby.com is unreachable
I moved the C1 into another room and tried a different ethernet connection - same result, although my Classic connects via this one fine.
Thus, the cabling is OK and the household internet connection is up, but there is something happening with the C1 that is preventing its ethernet connection from working. Any thoughts?

Re: Chumby One won't connect via ethernet

We'll look into it.

Steelpaw, please contact customer support here. They should be able to help get your device connected again.

Thanks, but the C1 has fixed itself, at least temporarily. I switched it off and on again - it still wouldn't connect, so I switched it off and went and had breakfast. Then I took it back into the bedroom to get it out of the way, thought I may as well give it one more try, shook it a bit (in a careful, technical sort of a way), reconnected and powered up and now it works.
We'll see how it goes, I suppose.

Problem has reoccurred on a number of occasions, so I have contacted Customer Support.

6 (edited by W6TT6GyA 2011-01-15 17:15:24)

I always use static IP addresses with Chumby One - never had to do this with a classic but I couldn't get the one to work any other way.

That's a good idea. I always used static IP addresses with both my Classics and the Chumby One with my old Netcomm router - couldn't get them to connect at all otherwise.
They all seemed to work okay with the automatic IP once I got a new D-Link router, but now that you mention it, I realise this problem started sometime after the introduction of the new router.
Thanks.