Topic: Screen Flicker

My screen is flickering as the brightness changes back and forth. Can I disable the automatic brightness adjustment?

Re: Screen Flicker

Yes - in a light setting, enter the screen settings view, and move the slider to the right. Close the brightness control.  Cover the light sensor and enter the screen settings again, and again, move the slider to the right.

Basically, the current Control Panel adjusts one of two brightnesses based on the light level when you enter the screen.

This is an area that needs some work smile

You guys should set the software to refresh the info from the ambient light sensor about every 3 seconds. Or make some rule not to change the LCD brightness unless the ambient sensor changes a defined % in a certain time. This would solve the problem.

There is a cheesy hysteresis on the brightness adjustment, but the problem is that at low light levels, the human eye's response is logarithmic and our PWM modulation control is just a bit too coarse. So the dithering you see is actually a result of coarse quantization of the linear interpolation of the brightness settings as scaled by the ambinet light level. We were trying to be a bit fancy and provide a multi-band EQ style of brightness control but I think in the end we will probably have to go back to a straight two-level system with a wide hysteresis margin. This would eliminate this problem altogether, with the trade-off that users may have some trouble figuring out how to set light and dark levels, and understanding what the heck a hysteresis is.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

Someonecould make an app that takes input from the bend sensor and adjust screen brightness depending on how much you sqweeze chumby.
Is it too dark? Just reach over, sqweeze to desired level and that's it!
Simple smile

LOL, you could squeeze it, and the more you squeeze it, the brighter the backlight is. then when you let go, it fades off tongue

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

chedabob wrote:

LOL, you could squeeze it, and the more you squeeze it, the brighter the backlight is. then when you let go, it fades off tongue

I suggest you hire him. tongue

I also thought of that, but it is actually very simple, if the presure sensor detects a slow change then it's because someone is sqweezing chumby. If it detects a rapid change in pressure (and in the "let go" direction) it stores the last value read from the sensor and that is the position or level of brigthness the user wanted.