Re: Touch screen is upside down but display is normal (and no wifi)

Yes I have one more unit that has this problem. I will verify the steps there next week probably.

I don't really know how the fist unit got this way. The second unit got messed up after a power outage. So power went out. Came back on and the PSP slice was nuked.

Did the device have a battery that ran down during the outage, or was it running without a battery?

No. No battery.

OK, thanks.

30 (edited by osmaneralp 2010-11-07 19:50:41)

FWIW, one of my Chumbys failed with the same symptoms. It was working fine, I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and the touchscreen was upside down. To access a button at the bottom of the screen, I had to press at the top of the screen. The wifi stopped working, so I couldn't ssh in. I was running on AC.

I suspected that the touchscreen was bad, so I replaced it with a known good screen from another Chumby. That didn't fix the problem. Fortunately, I had an image of the SD card. I dumped the image onto a known good card, and put the new card in the Chumby. Everything was back to normal. This points to a corrupt SD card. I haven't had any problems since replacing the SD card.

Unfortunately, I threw away the original SD card to make sure I didn't confuse it with my good cards. I still have one Chumby with an original SD card. If it happens again, I'll be happy to send the corrupt card to whoever wants it.

--Osman

I think I got a head of myself.

So the Chumby appears to be working. However, if I try to re flash it with say the latest firmware it hangs. It has been sitting at the "Updating Software" screen on "Updating part 1/2..." for the last few hours.

I suspect the SD card is fried which is why the update is hanging. (btw can I reboot it even though it says don't disconnect power or is it bricked now?)

Is it safe to say that the only way to fix this is to put a new SD card in? If so how would I get an initial image onto a new SD card?

samkwitty wrote:

I suspect the SD card is fried which is why the update is hanging. (btw can I reboot it even though it says don't disconnect power or is it bricked now?)

The only way to truly brick it is if the update got stuck while overwriting the boot loader (extremely unlikely).  Even then, you can always dd a clean firmware image to the SD card on another system and insert the card back into your chumby.

You should be able to power off, boot into "special options mode" by holding down the touch screen while powering on, and retry the USB update.

However, you should have an update.log on your USB drive.  Before you retry the update, could you post the contents of the update log(s) so we can get a better idea as to where the update failed?

There was no log file. I restarted the Chumby and issued the firmware update again which seemed to work.

Things seem to be working now.

Just as an FYI we have a third Chumby end up in the same state. This one got messed up during a firmware re-flash.

samkwitty wrote:

... If so how would I get an initial image onto a new SD card?

I have an image from a new, fresh Chumby. PM me if you want a copy of it. --Osman

Hello. I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread or reviving it.

I got a Chumby that showed the same sympthom: upside down touch, no wifi. I got it booting "normally" and plugged a keyboard so I could get shell access. I can see with mount that the /psp is mounted as read-only.

I can't umount it, as it's busy. And I can't issue the first command to stop the control panel without it destroying my buffer. All "magic" is done with /psp, so I can't set it to boot to text or anything like it. I also tried to update it to latest firmware four times, but all attempts were unsuccessful.

What could I do to fix this Chumby?

Thanks in advance,
Leo.

leomrlima wrote:

What could I do to fix this Chumby?

The easiest solution is to dump a known good image to the SD card, restoring the chumby to factory fresh. Are you willing to do this, and do you have an original image of the SD card?

--Osman

Hello, Osman.

I do have a good Chumby I could extract the image from. But how does one do it (Extract the image and dump into the chumby)?

leomrlima wrote:

I do have a good Chumby I could extract the image from. But how does one do it (Extract the image and dump into the chumby)?

1. Remove the sd card from the good Chumby and inset it into an SD card reader on a Linux machine.
2. On the Linux machine, enter the following command:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=chumbyimage

Replace sdb with the actual mounting point of the SD card. It might be sdc or sdd , for example. It might take an hour or so to dump the card to the file, so be patient.

3. Take out the good SD card, and insert the bad SD card from the bad Chumby into the SD card reader of the Linux machine.
4. On the Linux machine, enter the following command:

dd if=chumbyimage of=/dev/sdb

5. Take the SD card out of the Linux machine and put it into the bad Chumby.

The bad Chumby should now work.

This is getting far off the original topic, so send me a PM if you have more questions.

I had the exact same problem (no wifi, upside-down touchscreen).  I plugged in a USB-to-ethernet converter, got it to boot, recalibrated the touchscreen, and then the Chumby rebooted itself and started working, wifi and all.

Maybe my SD card is failing as well.

Ag Primatic

Hello,
Since one week i have the same problem on my chumby one.I try to plug a keyboard but that didn't get me into shell so i want to try dump a new image into my  chumby but i don't have one (image) and i have a windows pc. If anyone give me an image i can launch a live cd of ubuntu to dump it if there is non solution on windows.

Can anyone help me and give me an image of good chumby

Thanks

Samsoul

samsoul wrote:

Hello,
Since one week i have the same problem on my chumby one.I try to plug a keyboard but that didn't get me into shell so i want to try dump a new image into my  chumby but i don't have one (image) and i have a windows pc. If anyone give me an image i can launch a live cd of ubuntu to dump it if there is non solution on windows.

Can anyone help me and give me an image of good chumby

Thanks

Samsoul

If you can get a .img file (it may come as .img.gz, in which case you'll need something like 7-zip to unpack it), you can write that to the SD card using a variety of utilities; I believe there is some variant of dd available for Windows, but there is also a more user-friendly shareware program called Winimage that seems to be decent about writing image files -- you may want to look into it.

Ok thanks

It only remains for me to get an image...

samsoul wrote:

Ok thanks

It only remains for me to get an image...

Does this help?

Not sure if it's a current ROM image, but it should get you started (and if I'm not mistaken, the Chumby will do a software update anyway once it connects to the internet).  That thread also mentions a tool called win32 Image Writer which you can grab at the link I gave you (hit the green button labeled "win32diskim...-binary.zip") -- I'd call it superior to Winimage for two reasons: 1) it's free, not shareware, 2) it's recommended by an experienced Chumby user for exactly this purpose smile

Thanks a lot Doktor Jones

I download .img from the link you give me and i dump it into the SD card and ... it's work!!!

I downloaded the last firmware from chumby site to be up to date.

Thank you very much

Wow, after getting nothing back from Support I have spotted this kn the forum.

My Chumby One is doing exactly this. I will dd a new image onto the SD Card (or a new flash drive). Can you make it available again, the link no longer works sad ?

Thanks

Colin

simpfeld wrote:

Wow, after getting nothing back from Support I have spotted this kn the forum.

My Chumby One is doing exactly this. I will dd a new image onto the SD Card (or a new flash drive). Can you make it available again, the link no longer works sad ?

Thanks

Colin

I'm not sure why that link broke, the original thread I'd linked can still be found here I think.  Just to be safe, a direct link to the ROM is here.

Thanks. I've managed to restore my Chumby to working order. Thanks so much for the links.

I have just looked at the old microSD card on a computer. It looks like it was the /psp partition that has failed. So given this is the partition is the one with the most dynamic content I'm wondering if the flash just wore out.

So my question is, given that things like  ntp.drift, volume level, alarm changes etc are written here, I'm surprised that flash wearing out isn't a more common problem (or is it a common problem?).

On a busy Chumby I could imagine maybe a write to this partition more than hourly (the drift file is written hourly even on an idle Chumby). So the same piece of storage is probably tweaked hourly (say the blocks holding the directory information). So flash storage can tolerate what 10,000 write cycles, so assuming a write per hour that would be about 416 days. Not so long.

This is maybe a fairly pessimistic estimate  and really depends how data is written (files opened and written over the top of existing content or a new file replacing ) but on ext3 (a non-flash aware FS block reuse could, I'd imagine, be potentially very high). This is especially true if  we are thinking about the directory data itself.

Now I don't believe that SD cards (unlike flash hard disks) do any hardware based wear leveling.

So my questions would be, is this an issue often seen?

And even though plain ext3 is nice to have why was the dynamic partition not implemented with a more flash friendly file system (that does wear leveling)?

50 (edited by spunk_ 2012-10-14 03:19:03)

hello

i found this thread.

i have an old chumby one with the same effect:
screen upside down und no Wifi.

what is the best way to repair?

where do i have to get an correct image? and where do i have to write it? which sd-card -  i think the one inside? is this correct?
how do i open the chumby one and find this card?

edit: success.
i found this here:
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/NTaecwHEIYubsnU3.medium

so i opened the chumby -  changed the sd-card and did it like here:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4338