Topic: Need help with starting widget

First I have flash develop, because I want to start with something free.  I have a few questions, such as is I know the code is action script two for chumby.  I have a chumby one and I pretty much just want to make a simple banner widget, that can display words.  Now how do I learn this , like what and where are the tutorials.  I know a little c++ code but not any action script.  All I want to know is how can I learn and where can I learn how to write (code) a simple widget.  If anyone can help me that would be great.

Re: Need help with starting widget

Most tutorials for using FlashDevelop would work for the chumby - there really isn't much that's specific to developing for the device that isn't the case for regular Flash until you get to things like the accelerometer.

Here's a trivial FlashDevelop application:

class Tuto {

static var app : Tuto;

function Tuto() {
        // creates a 'tf' TextField size 320x240 at pos 0,0
        _root.createTextField("tf",0,0,0,320,240);
        // write some text into it
        _root.tf.text = "Hello world !";
    }

// entry point
    static function main(mc) {
        app = new Tuto();
    }
}

Re: Need help with starting widget

I use http://www.adobe.com/livedocs/flashlite … i_ref.html as the actionscript API reference. Also a key difference between a C++ hello world and the flash one is that the flash program continues to run at the framerate specified in the project properties. Overload the onEnterFrame to do some animation!

Example(run it at 1 or 2 fps):

class Main
{
    private static var _i:Number;
    private static var _back:MovieClip;

public static function main() : Void
    {
        _i = 0;
        _back = _root.createEmptyMovieClip("back", _root.getNextHighestDepth());

_back.createTextField("t", _back.getNextHighestDepth(), 0, 20, 320, 100);
        var tf:TextFormat = new TextFormat();
        tf.size = 32;
        tf.align = "center";        
        _back.t.setNewTextFormat(tf);
        _back.t.text = "Hello World!";

_back.onEnterFrame = function () {
            Main.myOnEnterFrame();
        }

}

public static function myOnEnterFrame():Void
    {
        _i++;